• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Looking to start a Cyburbia Weather Page

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
Ya fergot ol' Mastiff

97463 - Good luck finding weather for us, tho...

Umm...

I don't recall you saying where you lived. My zip code site says that 97463 is Oakridge, OR. Is this correct?

Look for me to add it in a few minutes.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Super Amputee Cat said:

Umm...

I don't recall you saying where you lived. My zip code site says that 97463 is Oakridge, OR. Is this correct?

Look for me to add it in a few minutes.

A veritable paradise...

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
powerplan said:
...perhaps you should add some Australian content to remind them of who plays the better rugby.

Which would be England at the moment, seeing as all the southern hemisphere greats seem to be on a losing streak, thanks to the four home nations. For the record, I don't support England (and I really wish they weren't doing the best!). I support Wales, who beat Canada 32-21 last week and are playing the all blacks tomorrow (don't think the dragons'll win).

statler

Cyburbian
Journeymouse said:

Which would be England at the moment, seeing as all the southern hemisphere greats seem to be on a losing streak, thanks to the four home nations. For the record, I don't support England (and I really wish they weren't doing the best!). I support Wales, who beat Canada 32-21 last week and are playing the all blacks tomorrow (don't think the dragons'll win).

Does this mean we are going to have to start a Cyburbia Rugby Fantasy League? :)

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Be careful with the word 'league' near the word 'rugby'! Rugby Union and Rugby League are two (slightly) different games. The latter having fewer players and more violence - which is probably why it's the more popular form in Yorkshire...

And, tranplanner, that means that Canada weren't doing too badly. Although Wales hasn't been especially good (i.e. rubbish) for about ten years, the North American countries are know to be exceptionally bad at rugby. I go with Giles (from Buffy) on this one.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Journeymouse said:
]The latter having fewer players and more violence

That would probably suit any Cyburbia Fantasy group just fine!

Canada usually has better success at Rugby with it's junior teams. Because there is no professional Rugby here, players just tend to stop after high school/university.

What I want to know is, why does France usually do well at Rugby?

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
I don't really know a lot about the game, I just watch it, but this is my take.

First of, the game was based very much around individual flair up until the 1980's. This is the style that was very common in the home countries and France when it finally got included in the 4/5/6 nations championship. It was the style that made Wales the greatest team in the world, followed by the amazing team combinations possible in the (then home countries) Barbarians and the British (Eng/Scot/Wal.) Lions. Then the Southern Hemisphere teams started getting a look in, mainly led by the NZ All Blacks, by developing a style that has been likened to the roman army. Fight in formation and just keep walking over everything that gets in the way. It's taken a while for the Northern Hemisphere countries to catch up on this idea.

WRT France, they absolutely worship the sport over there and invest a hell of a lot of money in it. As with NZ, all boys will have played it at school, etc, etc. England has the money, but generally only the 'richer', public/grammar schools play it (union) as a regular thing, although league is very common in Yorkshire. The other 3 home countries have the enthusiasm but not the money.

Italy's finally been allowed into the 4/5/6 nations but I suspect it's so Ireland and Wales have someone to make them look better.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Umm...

I thought we were talking about the weather.

Please don't damage the Cat's already fragile ego by hijacking his thread.

Thank you.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Norris said:
Liverpool UK. Its cold dark but not raining at the moment.

Well, I don't normally add people until they have about 25 posts or so, I decided to add you because Liverpool is such a great place. (My mom is from there!) Plus it's always great to get overseas Cyburbanites on the chart.

I see that the sun sets around 4:05 P. M. That must be pretty depressing.

++++++

SW Mich and Floridays have just been added also.

We need more Canadians!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Super Amputee Cat said:
We need more Canadians!

Donk is in Miramichi, NB. IPlan? is in Waterloo, ON (or close enough to it). jmf is in Nova Scotia, but I don't know where exactly...

Ummm...I thought we had a few more regular Canucks around, but maybe not.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hmmmmm...

Lenze is from Taber, Alberta (home of yummy corn)... although he doesn't post too much.

Also, City Godess is from Victoria, but she hasn't been on here since like July or something.

Unfortunately the Canadians don't frequent the forums as much as we would hope. :(

But for a little temperature diversity, I suggest you add
Earl Finkler, brave soul that lives in Barrow, Alaska. The sun just set there a few days ago and won't be up again until late January. Now *that's* RUGGED for ya!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

But for a little temperature diversity, I suggest you add
Earl Finkler, brave soul that lives in Barrow, Alaska. The sun just set there a few days ago and won't be up again until late January. Now *that's* RUGGED for ya!

Is he really from Barrow, or are you just going by his profile? I maintain a weather page for another site I belong to, and a lot of people put false locations.

Barrow would be a good add though, so I'll add it for now, but I guess I'll have to PM him later.

The others are too infrequent to post and haven't posted since the summer.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:

Is he really from Barrow, or are you just going by his profile? I maintain a weather page for another site I belong to, and a lot of people put false locations.

Barrow would be a good add though, so I'll add it for now, but I guess I'll have to PM him later.

The others are too infrequent to post and haven't posted since the summer.

No... he's really in Barrow.

jmf

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

Donk is in Miramichi, NB. IPlan? is in Waterloo, ON (or close enough to it). jmf is in Nova Scotia, but I don't know where exactly...

Ummm...I thought we had a few more regular Canucks around, but maybe not.

I'm in Kentville.

Jeff

Cyburbian
statler said:

Does this mean we are going to have to start a Cyburbia Rugby Fantasy League? :)

I got dibs on the All Blacks....

I miss playing rugby...played all through college and some out of it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cat, you don't have any place in Florida yet! Can you add Sanford (or Orlando, I guess that's the nearest big city)?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
wow

I was taking a look at everyones weather and DAMN there is a hell of a spread in temps, im shocked its warmer here than in Atlanta right now but i guess that is the cold and snow that is moving in here tonight-yhaeee snow on I95 for the holiday rush.

Great job Cat its cool to see where we all live and what we are dealing with (like no sun)

PG

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah... I've been amazed at how cold it has been in the midwest US... colder than here even. And it's colder in Winnipeg than Barrow Alaska... brrrrrr! Tomorrow it's supposed to be 54f here (12C)... I can't believe how unseasonably warm it is... it's awesome!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Yeah... I've been amazed at how cold it has been in the midwest US... colder than here even. And it's colder in Winnipeg than Barrow Alaska... brrrrrr!

19F is actually quite warm for Barrow this time of year. I wouldn't be surprised if the normal high of the day is less than 5F. Even in July, it is cold, with an average high of only about 45F or so. The highest temperature ever recorded there is 79F