• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Looking to update Postcard Page and Dotmap

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
It's been a while since I've updated the Postcards page. I would like to add some newer membes, expand the catalogue of current members, plus make any changes to the page that reflect Cyburbians who may have moved.

Please click on the link below and then click on the Cyburbia Postcard page and the North American dotmap. If you would like to be added to the postcard page, please state your hometown and/or your current location. If you would like to be added to the dotmap, please state your current location.

http://www.geocities.com/rabscuttle02/Cyburbia3.html

If you have moved since the last update, please let me know. I'll be making changes over the next few days. Thanks.

boiker

Cyburbian
Hey SAC,

I'm in Peoria, IL now.. how about some postcards of this town?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I'm from Williamsville, NY (5 miles NE of Buffalo). At the present I'm at school in Binghamton, NY.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I like the postcards you have of were I grew up, now add some postcards for where I live now - Chicago especially Lincoln Park neighborhood

that would be really cool. :-D

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Post cards:

Added

Queen B - Salina
Benk928 - Virginia Beach

Updated

Boiker - Peoria

Expanded

BKM - Vacaville
Mendelman - Alpena

Budgie: I have you down for Leavenworth. Did you move to Abiline?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
great expansion of the Alpena pics. The pic of the Odd Fellows building is one I have never seen before.

boiker

Cyburbian
i hate looking at those old pics of peoria, all the masonary 3-4 story buildings.. Most of it has been bulldozed and replaced with parking lots, parking decks, or buildings in plaza's. The active streetwall is not as defined anymore.

The courthouse was replaced in the 60's....just take a guess what it looks like now. :(

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hey why is it only a North American map? (Besides it doesn't show great part of alaska)

I still haven't found any postcards of Valdivia... Old photos are ok?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Where do I sign up for the post-cards? Do you want me to e-mail some?
Tell me your location (Buffalo?) and your hometown and I'll upload them. If you want me to look at some of your pictures, just upload them to the gallery and I will link them if high enough resolution.

MaineMan said:
Were you ever able to find any pstcards of Bath, Maine???
I have several pictures of Bath. I'll make it my priority to upload them as soon as I can.

Skeleton said:
Hey why is it only a North American map? (Besides it doesn't show great part of alaska). I still haven't found any postcards of Valdivia... Old photos are ok?
I couldn't find a good map of South America. I cut off the extreme northern part of North America to make the map more suitable for viewing.

If the pictures are a good resolution, you can upload them to the gallery and I will link them

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Tell me your location (Buffalo?) and your hometown and I'll upload them. If you want me to look at some of your pictures, just upload them to the gallery and I will link them if high enough resolution.
I from Buffalo, just like rumpy tuna was;) I'll have to try and find some pics though.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I from Buffalo, just like rumpy tuna was;) I'll have to try and find some pics though.
I already have some pictures of Buffalo uploaded. (Look under Dan). But I will post some more under your name too.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Added:

Skeleton - Valdivia. (Grainy, but a least we finally have something)

Expanded:

Decaturhawk - Decatur
Maineman - Bath

Tuna: I see your pictures and will link them soon.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Thanks SAC! :)

Edited to add that if you could also find some old postcards of Santiago ('cause I'll be living there for a while) it'll be nice :)
And besides it'll show you how it changed from a small town in 1541 to a ~6 million metropolis today.

Last edited:

Hceux

Cyburbian
Do you have any postcards of...

Brighton, Ontario? Belleville, Ontario? or Kingston, Ontario?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Hey , Super!
Just took time to check out the website, that is teriffic! Any chance that you may have found a postcard of the Prescott house? That is the house I get to look at when I sit on my porch. It is wonderful.
The card of 8th street is interesting because at the north end is where I work in the City County Building and the south end is the Prescott house. The houses are wonderful throught this area.
Thanks Again

Hceux

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Which one do you live in now?
Currently, Kingston, Ontario, is where I live now. It'd be interesting to see what postcards have illustrated as the highlights of Kingston in the past.

boiker

Cyburbian
woo hoo! Stereograms!!
Decatur Stereogram

awesome SAC. I am a stereogram nut. I've even created my own of a central illinois conservation area.

I believe that viewing stereograms was a popular "parlor" social activity in the late 19th and early 20th century. I'm just a little late to the game :)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
boiker said:
woo hoo! Stereograms!!
Decatur Stereogram

awesome SAC. I am a stereogram nut. I've even created my own of a central illinois conservation area.

I believe that viewing stereograms was a popular "parlor" social activity in the late 19th and early 20th century. I'm just a little late to the game :)
Yeah, I have quite a few scans of stereograms, although in some cases, it's only one half of the stereogram because that's all the seller scanned in high-resolution. (All those pictures I posted of Oak Bluffs, MA in guess the city were stereograms)

There are a couple of sellers on e-bay that just sell stereograms and I have them in my favorites to copy those photos.

Hceux

Cyburbian
SAC. It's very cool to see those old postcard images. Thanks for sharing them with me and everyone else. I have to wonder just how big is your postcard collection!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
SAC. It's very cool to see those old postcard images. Thanks for sharing them with me and everyone else. I have to wonder just how big is your postcard collection!
Well, most of the stuff is just scans that I have copied off of e-bay over the years. (That's why you see variences in resolution among the scans). Some sellers scan in such a high resolution, that it is a shame that these images can't be archived somewhere, so I archive some on my own whenever I can.

BTW, what are the significance of Bellville and Brighton? Are one of these your hometown, because I can try and find pictures of your hometown too, if different from Kingston.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
SAC, Great job on the whole project. I went to check to see if you were ever able to find Reston postcards and now I am completely erased. I know that I was there because you had Eustis, Florida up for me. Help. :(

Here is my info again.
My real hometown is Orange Park, FL (but you could probably only find Green Cove Springs, FL because there wasn't much to offer in Orange Park). (If neither can be found - Jacksonville, FL is the next bet.) We claimed Eustis, Florida since that was our last stop. And now, we are in Reston, VA. We will be moving in the next 60 days, so I can let you know then.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Well, most of the stuff is just scans that I have copied off of e-bay over the years. (That's why you see variences in resolution among the scans). Some sellers scan in such a high resolution, that it is a shame that these images can't be archived somewhere, so I archive some on my own whenever I can.

BTW, what are the significance of Bellville and Brighton? Are one of these your hometown, because I can try and find pictures of your hometown too, if different from Kingston.
Yes, Brighton, ON, and Belleville, ON, are both of my hometowns. I grew up in both places. It'd be great to see pictures of both places. If had to choose one of the hometowns, then let it be Brighton, ON. Thanks for your offer! :)