• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Lost Traditions

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched a clip talking about the lost tradition of front porch singers. The producer of the clip explained that in rural areas it was used as a form of history telling about a particular area. This idea is story by song is nothing new and there are several bible references to different songs of importance.

Locally, on New Year’s Day People eat black eyed peas and collard greens. But some locals have said the they don’t do that anymore.

We are a country of many cultures, ethnicities, and backgrounds and with each of those there were traditions that applied. There are even some that are just isolated to a particular neighborhood. I know of a rural part of Michigan that had a snow day Pot Luck back in the 70s and 80s where the first snow day where school is canceled, all the families would gather together for a Pot Luck dinner. But last I heard, they didn’t do that anymore.

What lost traditions do you know about? Why do you think they were lost? Why lost traditions do you think should make a comeback and why? What traditions do you know of that are almost lost?

kms

Cyburbian
I have some Italian-American friends who tell me how their families would make sausages and ham - soppresatta and prosciutto - every year. The tradition seems to have stopped with this generation.

My coworker’s father and brothers make kielbasa, and they invited me to their place to see how it happens. I really liked the camaraderie. Neighbors joined them, and shared food items they made. I got to try Italian sausages and home made wine. I loved the smell coming from the smoker. My coat absorbed the smoky smell, and I didn’t wash it until the smoke smell wore off.

The sad part is this was a spring and fall ritual, and now they only do this in the fall.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I get the impression you're aiming at broader community-wide cultural trends, but I recall when I was a kid how several neighbors' families would get together each year and help can each other's garden produce or make preserves from the fruit picked at local fruit farms. One memorable late August day we were canning tomatoes in our next door neighbor's kitchen and it was a sweltering humid 90+ day. On top of that the stove was going all afternoon. At one point the kitchen wallpaper started becoming unglued and began to fall off.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Old traditions die, new traditions are born. A lot of the things my family did annually weren’t so much beloved traditions as they were just things we did every year.

The neighborhood I grew up in was ethnically diverse, and we didn’t have the ethnic or religious-driven festivals of other parts of town. An amusement park in Canada used to have special days for neighborhoods in Buffalo, where residents would get a discount on ride tickets. The neighborhood days died off in the 1970s, about a decade before the amusement park closed for good. I remember going to Crystal Beach on “Kensington Day”, and seeing neighbors and friends among the crowd.

There were a lot of traditions associated with downtown shopping in Buffalo — a huge model train exhibit in Main Place Mall every December, and elaborate Christmas displays in the window at AM&As come to mind. Both are a thing of the past, along with downtown brick-and-mortar shopping. However, there’s new traditions downtown — the New Years ball drop from the Niagara Mohawk Building, pond hockey, and a bunch of annual festivals that draw big crowds.