• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Louisiana May Ban Low-Rise Jeans

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Which of society's problems are state lawmakers busy working to overcome? Underperforming schools? Unemployment? Nope! Its time that government put an end to the trend of low-rise jeans.

Do you think he's really thought of the implications of going into inner city neighborhoods rounding up kids and handing out fines for saggin' jeans? Wouldn't be the best PR move for the police. If he just waits another year the jeans will be out of style anyway.

I do, by the way, think he's right that parents are irresponsible when their kids dress like hoochie-mommas, but unless you really see something "private" government can't tell you what to wear.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117983,00.html

This has been in the local news for weeks now. I was going to post a link but was too lazy to do it....wearing low-rise jeans tends to do that to you. ;)

Seriously, I'm glad I don't live in the idiot's district. Of all the problems LA has, he wants to target a person's choice (albeit a poor one) of clothing. Initially, the bill was targeted primarily at males....they just added the part about the women's g-strings showing as well.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I heard about this a while ago, and its as silly as an alligator playing lawn darts.

Don't they have something better to do, like clean up the nutria problem?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
.......I do, by the way, think he's right that parents are irresponsible when their kids dress like hoochie-mommas, but unless you really see something "private" government can't tell you what to wear.

But it does show what a MORAL and upstanding person he is 8-!

Isn't it just swell, and why can't we just go back to the early 50's :-D

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
...Initially, the bill was targeted primarily at males....they just added the part about the women's g-strings showing as well.

The guys actually aren't as bad. When guys have the boxers peeking out you don't see anymore skin then if they were wearing regular pants, its just the idea.

I can just picture the crowd protesting outside his office all in obscenely low-slung jeans. :-D

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
"I can think of a lot of workers, plumbers, who are working and expose their buttocks ..."
THIS is what should be outlawed.

Reminds me of a story I heard of in a California beach town where they tried to ban g-string bikinis. When the police chief was asked by a Town Council member if the law would be hard to enforce, he answered, "Well, sometimes these things fall between the cracks." :-#

otterpop

Cyburbian
Better than banning them in stores, I think stores should be made legally responsible if they sell them to a person who shouldn't be wearing them. I don't mean the young. I mean the people with love handles hanging over the top of their low-ride jeans. Very unsightly.

Wulf9

otterpop said:
Better than banning them in stores, I think stores should be made legally responsible if they sell them to a person who shouldn't be wearing them. I don't mean the young. I mean the people with love handles hanging over the top of their low-ride jeans. Very unsightly.

Good idea. Two things at issue here. First is the issue of national weight gain. Second is that the lower you go the tighter they have to be so they don't fall off. I will say no more.