• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Lowest salaries for planning jobs that you've seen

Lowland

Cyburbian
I was forwarded an add for a planner in K-zoo recently. It paid in the mid 60- mid 70 range. Was not too bad, cost of living there is low too.

I have seen some local jobs listed at part time that have paid about $18 an hour, no bennies.
There was a full time Associate Planner listing for the Kalamazoo Area Transportation Study that paid $37k-$47k and at minimum required a Bachelor's with no experience, which I thought was pretty reasonable and a good shot for anyone looking at getting into the transportation realm. The cutoff date just passed last Friday by the looks of it.

The One

Cyburbian
OMG!

This one irked me a bit, and I thought it was worth sharing.

Downtown Planning and Development Coordinator
Downtown Kalamazoo Incorporated

Position Summary:
The Planning and Development Coordinator is responsible for assisting in all DKI activities including downtown comprehensive planning, economic development, urban design, historic preservation, civil engineering, and tax increment financing; updating DKI’s Comprehensive Plan, Capital Improvement Program, Parking Plan; and project implementation; and property management related to acquisition, development and maintenance.

Essential Knowledge and Skills:
Must possess excellent communication and public relations skills. Ability to interact effectively with consumers, downtown visitors, residents, developers, business owners, property owners, designers and public officials. Knowledge of Microsoft XP, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other computer applications.

Education and Experience:
Requires Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Economic Development, Public Administration, Facilities Management or similar areas with a minimum of three years of experience in a downtown development consulting firm or municipal planning agency. General understanding of the principles and practices of urban planning and economic development.

Salary Range:
$30,000 to $35,000

Downtown Kalamazoo, Inc. Website: www.downtownkalamazoo.org

Not necessarily the worst I've ever seen, but pretty rough in the grand scheme.
This is CRAZY!! CIP and TIF.....urban design and civil engineering.......YHGTBFKM.......:-{:-@

It doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to see the only people that would take these jobs will move on to greener pastures pretty quick or get a year or two enough to fill a check in the box in on another application somewhere else.

This is CRAZY!! CIP and TIF.....urban design and civil engineering.......YHGTBFKM.......:-{:-@
I would stipulate that I either work half the week instead of a standard 40 hours and/or I give them 50% effort. If they can agree to that, sounds like a sweat deal.

I was forwarded an add for a planner in K-zoo recently. It paid in the mid 60- mid 70 range. Was not too bad, cost of living there is low too.

I have seen some local jobs listed at part time that have paid about $18 an hour, no bennies.
I think quite a few of the staff at DKI is part time. The planner position in Kzoo was for manager of the Planning dept, 4-6 staff.

I wonder if anyone's done a survey correlating median income in a municipality to the planning salaries paid. There's a town of 50,000 in the San Diego metro, with a median household income of $105,000, offering this gem:

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/po...=viewclassspec&classSpecID=47398&viewOnly=yes

Assistant Planner, exactly the job description you'd expect, BA/BS, 1 year experience, $60-$72k. ... junior planner in an overstaffed planning department for a small village... If my recollection serves me correctly SDAPA had a job posting for a senior/AD-level position at the town time offering $120-$180k a couple of years ago.

There is a Planner II position with Somerset County, Pennsylvania being advertised. They are seeking someone with a Bachelor's Degree, at least one year of experience and ESRI knowledge. Salary: $27,000. I felt insulted after reading the ad. People working at Sheetz (regional convenience store chain) make more than that. It's on the APA website if you want to apply :D I'm thinking about emailing and just saying "really?"

dvdneal

Cyburbian
So the only person paid well is the mayor? I'm guessing it's a strong mayor form of government, but still, WTF?
It's sad to say I make more than the city attorney working in a rural Kansas county.

I wonder if anyone's done a survey correlating median income in a municipality to the planning salaries paid. There's a town of 50,000 in the San Diego metro, with a median household income of $105,000, offering this gem:

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/po...=viewclassspec&classSpecID=47398&viewOnly=yes

Assistant Planner, exactly the job description you'd expect, BA/BS, 1 year experience, $60-$72k. ... junior planner in an overstaffed planning department for a small village... If my recollection serves me correctly SDAPA had a job posting for a senior/AD-level position at the town time offering $120-$180k a couple of years ago.
That's actually decent compared to what I've seen in some of the wealthy suburbs of the Boston area, where The Town Planner gets paid like 55K and has no staff except for an admin. Usually these towns want 8-10 years of experience and AICP.

Overall I think the great recession hammered planning salaries, not sure if they'll ever recover.

The One

Cyburbian
Hmmm

The more I think about it.....that Panama City job is really insulting. It should insult all of us in Planning. Such little respect for the profession, who do they think they are.....Rumpy?

;)

dvdneal

Cyburbian
They may offer some free crack. I hear people will do anything for that stuff, including planning work that involve crouching.