Lowest salaries for planning jobs that you've seen

That Peoria, IL job that got posted on the first page of this thread actually got taken. By me. First full time job out of college (did part time work in a small muni for a few months), and starting as a Planner I @ 33,500, with a salary increase in six months. Everyone here has gotten promoted to Planner II w/ one year service time, which is mid-point salary at 44,500, and Planner III at third year with a mid-point salary around 50k up to around 60k.

It being my first job out of undergrad, and with a really low cost of living here...(paying $300 a month in rent), I didn't get such a raw deal, did I? Not being facetious, actually wondering what you guys think...

That Peoria, IL job that got posted on the first page of this thread actually got taken. By me. First full time job out of college (did part time work in a small muni for a few months), and starting as a Planner I @ 33,500, with a salary increase in six months. Everyone here has gotten promoted to Planner II w/ one year service time, which is mid-point salary at 44,500, and Planner III at third year with a mid-point salary around 50k up to around 60k.

It being my first job out of undergrad, and with a really low cost of living here...(paying $300 a month in rent), I didn't get such a raw deal, did I? Not being facetious, actually wondering what you guys think...
Congrats on the job. It's nice to see that there is room to grow with that position. Mid 30's is not terrible if the cost of living is low, $300.00 for rent is a steal, is this with a roomate? I make mid 30's in Indiana and my rent for a one bedroom is $565.00 and its not in the best neighborhood. It's all about the cost of housing and living what determines a 'low salary'.

I live in Iowa and the average household income is about $48,000. I started in August of 2007 at $38,000 and on July 1 got a boost up to $44,000. July 1 of 2009 I'll be at $48,000. While I almost meet the household average by myself now, I always feel broke (save > 20% of take-home pay every month). I can not imagine how people with children do it.

Victory

Cyburbian
I work for a land development company in los angeles and I make just under 36k. My rent is $1450, and I live one block from the beach. My utilities are included, work pays for my cell phone, I live in a great area and I don't own a car. Still...living on $900/mo is getting to be painful. The novelty of a cheap 6-pack, or two buck chuck and a date with network tv has worn off (it's all I can afford to do during the week). You may ask why I live in such an expensive place, well, I have a bid dog, and my friends and family live in the area. Nevertheless, this thread has really depressed me. I'm going to get my MUP next year, and it looks like I'll be back to the same old ways after I graduate. To bad living like a student for the rest of your life doesn't include staying young.

I don't think $900/month is terrible to live on. If that's after ALL bills are paid what could you possibly spend that on?

Even if that is what he takes home after all of his bills are paid, you still have to worry about food costs, gas, day to day living expenses, emergencies, entertainment and god forbid saving any money..

paiste13

Cyburbian
Oh, I see. When I calculate my spending money that's after all my savings are accounted for. I was thinking the $900 was after savings and insurance, etc.

Victory

Cyburbian
No, $900 is what I have to cover all my expenses for the month. It's not much, I can't even afford to make my student loan payments (they are in forbearance).

kjel

Super Moderator
I'm basically beginning the great job hunt and have noticed that more entities are asking for the moon and paying less than they were say a year or two ago. I will not considering anything under 40K. I made more as a restaurant manager.

City of New York-- Bronx and Brooklyn offices

Assistant Associate Planner (or something along the lines)

It was around 34,000 a year. Adjusted cost-of-living from other major cities to New York (particularly if you were living within Manhattan or Brooklyn [no offense but the cost of commuting in New York or even taking the subways is retarded when you consider the cost is essentially the difference in rent])... came out to about 18k.

I'd totally take this job if they didn't want an accredited master's, 2 years experience, internships, specialized knowledge and training... and the ability to understand ULURP.

Take also into consideration [no offense to anyone working there], the Brooklyn and Bronx branch offices are notoriously crooked.

I just read a posting that came across the NC list serve for Planning Tech. job with a $28,000/yr starting salary.

One could maybe get by with this salary in the rural areas of the Carolina's. However, this job was in the Charlotte Metro area. It would be very tough for a single person to support themselves on that income.

jmello

Cyburbian
I just read a posting that came across the NC list serve for Planning Tech. job with a $28,000/yr starting salary.
Man, I lived on that salary for about one year around 2002 in Boston. It was my first job out of college and I was just happy to have it. No car and our one bedroom apartment was $1200/month split two ways. Boy was that tough. Luckily, my student loans were in deferment, or I would have been out on the street.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
What I am making with a MURP, AICP, CFM eligible & 16 yrs experience. :-x :-$

vxw

Cyburbian
What I am making with a MURP, AICP, CFM eligible & 16 yrs experience. :-x :-$
I don't know, what ARE you making?
Of course I don't mean to directly inquire about your income, but more as a general question about the progression of pay. Sure it starts out slow, but what is the trend after 1,2,5,10,15 years?
Take care.

EDIT: this thread as inspired me to look up some planning I jobs around here, i found this http://www.civicinfo.bc.ca/161.asp?...&r=10082&r=10081&r=10076&r=9949&r=9948&r=9947
regional planner 1, metro vancouver, "The bi-weekly salary range is $2,733.98 - $3,237.13" thats around 70k, are they for real? or is regional planner I much different from planny 1

Last edited:
Colorado subsidized housing

I know a lot of Colorado cities subsidize housing for Planning staff...including the director, since their salaries wouldn't be able to buy or rent squat in the nearby areas.