• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Lowest salaries for planning jobs that you've seen

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Just so I can understand, what is your beef with Ohio? Is it that we ONLY are the 7th largest state? Is it that we have such good football teams? It couldn't be our State Rock Song "Hang on Sloopy". Is it Neil Armstrong or Thomas Edison? The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I bet it is the Amish. Maybe it is airplanes? You don't like that we invented a way to flyover our state? Or is it that we perfected the chili dog? The best roller coaster park in the United States? I bet it is all our culture and activity. ;)

I am just confused as to why you think living in Ohio is living in the middle of nowhere. Because, ummm, it isn't.

Ps. There are some pretty cool places in the United States that aren't NYC or Chicago. I would argue planning in these other places is better than NYC or Chicago, or LA. Your experience in NYC will be very different than in Kentucky. Or Missouri. Or Alabama. Or New Mexico. Or Kansas. I would guess those planners in the "middle of nowhere" do much more good for the general welfare of residents on a daily basis, than any plan reviewer in department 541 of NYC Planning.

Alright I am off my high horse now. Carry on with your hatred of the Midwest.
Haha months later and I just saw this lol.

I agree with your assessment about doing better work for the general welfare outside of big cities. Your comment about NYC DCP is spot on (they are so ineffectual at actual PLANNING rather than Zoning it makes me want to pull my hair out) but I stand by what I think about Ohio. I will never live or work there.

I dont hate the midwest, just Ohio. I love Michigan and Minnesota.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Check the last post on the Jobs Board. A department of one. :not:

Lowland

Cyburbian
Cheboygan County is currently recruiting for a Planner to fill an opening in the department. This is a full-time position with responsibilities that include: Assisting with amendments to the Master Plan, seeking compliance with Part 91 Soil Erosion and Sedimentation laws, preparing zoning amendments, and conducting special planning studies. Assist with maintaining, administering, and enforcing adopted land-use codes; reviewing and approving zoning permits; reviewing commercial site plans, special use permits, and variances; conducting planning outreach to the townships; and representing the County at Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Community Planning or a degree in a closely-related field from an accredited college or university and prefer a minimum of one year related work experience; a thorough knowledge of planning and enforcement principles, state planning laws, and computer mapping. Must be able to obtain Comprehensive Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Certification within 6 months.

Starting Wage: $16.78/hour. Cheboygan County offers a comprehensive benefits package including one-person medical insurance coverage and a comprehensive retirement program.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Cheboygan County is currently recruiting for a Planner to fill an opening in the department. This is a full-time position with responsibilities that include: Assisting with amendments to the Master Plan, seeking compliance with Part 91 Soil Erosion and Sedimentation laws, preparing zoning amendments, and conducting special planning studies. Assist with maintaining, administering, and enforcing adopted land-use codes; reviewing and approving zoning permits; reviewing commercial site plans, special use permits, and variances; conducting planning outreach to the townships; and representing the County at Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Community Planning or a degree in a closely-related field from an accredited college or university and prefer a minimum of one year related work experience; a thorough knowledge of planning and enforcement principles, state planning laws, and computer mapping. Must be able to obtain Comprehensive Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control Certification within 6 months.

Starting Wage: $16.78/hour. Cheboygan County offers a comprehensive benefits package including one-person medical insurance coverage and a comprehensive retirement program.
But the actual workload is probably pretty light. There's likely not much going on in the County, unless you're doing planning review for the City as well...maybe it increases a tad.

Also, you can buy a nice house in the City for $40,000 dollars. :p

mercdude

Cyburbian
To add to this thread: I was offered a planning department head position in a rural eastern Montana county a few years ago. You know, right in the middle of the bakken oil field nonsense. Their offer? 40,000 when their community's median housing was set around $400k. I got a slightly better offer even deeper into the bakken oil fields via City of Wiliston for 50,000 with subsidized housing - and I took it... only to change my mind and head back towards civilization.

• Wow
Reactions: Dan

bentobox34

Cyburbian
Cheboygan County offers a comprehensive benefits package including one-person medical insurance coverage and a comprehensive retirement program.
Inconceivable for me as my current insurance covers myself, spouse and 2 kids. Even if houses were free it wouldn't pencil.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

Inconceivable for me as my current insurance covers myself, spouse and 2 kids. Even if houses were free it wouldn't pencil.
Yeah, the rest of that listing really didn't seem too bad to me based on the region, cost of living, 1-year of work experience, and potential workload, but that insurance covering just the employee was something I had never seen before. Especially from a government employer.

freeyoke

Here's one I've run across this week.

Transportation Planner - RCRPC Planner III

Richland County Regional Planning Commission

The Richland County Regional Planning Commission is a transportation and land use planning organization that also serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Richland County, Ohio. This is an entry level position to lead and assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of data in support of the work of the Regional Planning Commission and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)

Essential functions of this Job include: Act as lead planner in Regional Transit Planning activities Responsible for collecting and analyzing data for various systems / programs for regional transportation, land use and comprehensive planning Assist in maintaining required documents of the MPO (Prospectus/LRTP/TIP) Collaborates with outside agencies and organizations to coordinate and complete projects that increase accessibility and mobility Write and/or revise reports and plans, create visual aids in form of maps, charts, etc. to communicate the work of the MPO and RCRPC.

The qualified individual will need to have: Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of regional transportation planning. Ability to make informed professional recommendations and develop innovative approaches and ideas Effective graphic, verbal, numeric and written communication skills Comfortable in the use of Geographic Information System (GIS) software (preferably ESRI products), use of office software (preferably Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, GIS or a related field is preferred. 1-2 years of related relevant experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and abilities required to perform the job.
Starting Yearly Salary Range - $30,000 - $36,000 based on experience Complete benefits– OPERS retirement, health/dental/vision insurance, vacation, sick leave, life insurance Full Time - 35 Hour work week

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

The Richland County Regional Planning Commission is a transportation and land use planning organization that also serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Richland County, Ohio. This is an entry level position to lead and assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of data in support of the work of the Regional Planning Commission and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)...

Starting Yearly Salary Range - $30,000 - $36,000 based on experience Complete benefits– OPERS retirement, health/dental/vision insurance, vacation, sick leave, life insurance Full Time - 35 Hour work week
This is another example of a starting salary really not being too terrible when you take into account the cost of living and the income figures in the particular region. I've been through that area quite a bit over the years and judging by a quick search of some recent figures, that salary range would put the employee well above the area's PCI and they should easily be able to afford housing there or just about anywhere in the surrounding counties.

However... $30k - $36k as a range doesn't sound like it's leaving too much room for growth. If I were an applicant, I'd be sure to ask about opportunities for advancement/promotions or I'd just be coming into the position looking at it as a stepping stone to another agency, private firm, or a larger community. This is where it would be important to ask the interviewer the, "How long was my predecessor in this position? Where are they now?" questions.

The One

Cyburbian
HA!

Yeah...ok. Since the rest of Ohio is getting shafted on salary this may look ok....but DON'T Call it a Planner III Since when is a Planner III "entry level?"

The Richland County Regional Planning Commission is a transportation and land use planning organization that also serves as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for Richland County, Ohio. This is an entry level position to lead and assist in the collection, analysis and reporting of data in support of the work of the Regional Planning Commission and the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO)

Essential functions of this Job include: Act as lead planner in Regional Transit Planning activities Responsible for collecting and analyzing data for various systems / programs for regional transportation, land use and comprehensive planning Assist in maintaining required documents of the MPO (Prospectus/LRTP/TIP) Collaborates with outside agencies and organizations to coordinate and complete projects that increase accessibility and mobility Write and/or revise reports and plans, create visual aids in form of maps, charts, etc. to communicate the work of the MPO and RCRPC.

The qualified individual will need to have: Knowledge of the principles, methods and practices of regional transportation planning. Ability to make informed professional recommendations and develop innovative approaches and ideas Effective graphic, verbal, numeric and written communication skills Comfortable in the use of Geographic Information System (GIS) software (preferably ESRI products), use of office software (preferably Microsoft products: Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, GIS or a related field is preferred. 1-2 years of related relevant experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and abilities required to perform the job.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Yeah...ok. Since the rest of Ohio is getting shafted on salary this may look ok....but DON'T Call it a Planner III Since when is a Planner III "entry level?"
EXACTLY! I was thinking the same thing! What is a Planner 1, then? The person who shines everyone's shoes and gets the office coffee and donuts? Is Planner II a step up where you get to do menial data entry or man the front desk? :not::p

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
In these parts, Planner III would generally be the entry level position, then you would move up to Planner II, Planner I, Planner, and Senior Planner. I always thought it was backwards that the "III" would be the lowest position in the series.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
:yell: Name and shame! Name and shame!

I always said that Pennsylvania has the worst planning salaries in the United States, bar none. Here's proof, from the APA Pennsylvania Chapter Web site.
The City of Lock Haven is seeking a qualified and experienced individual to serve the community as the City Planner & Development Coordinator. ...

[snip]

Salary range is between $35-$45,000 per year and includes a competitive benefits package ...
For experience, they want ...
... a Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Community Development, or English with understanding and experience in several aspects of the following:

Planning:
  • Administer the City’s Zoning, Subdivision and Land Development ordinances
  • Administer the City’s Comprehensive Plan
  • Administer the Historic District Advisory Committee
  • Liaison to the City Planning Commission
  • Administer the City’s Zoning, Subdivision and Land Development ordinances

Development:
  • Application and administration of grants from State and local governments, agencies and foundations
  • Administer community compliance plans (Section 504 ADA, EEOC, Fair Housing, etc.)
  • Administer City’s Commercial Loan Program and Sidewalk Repair Grant/Loan Program
  • Coordinate the City’s Community Development Block Grant programs with grant administrator SEDA-COG
Application materials?
Interested applicants should submit (1) cover letter, (2) resume, (3) writing sample, (4) list of grants applied for and awarded over the past 2 yeaes
This isn't an entry level position. They're looking for a somewhat experienced planner with experience in current planning, comp planning, historic preservation, community development, and grant writing.

Your work? Be a planning director, and work to get millions of dollars of federal and state grants. For all that, you get $35K and the usual benefits -- the same as an assistant night manager at a Sheetz or whatever.

No.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
:yell: Name and shame! Name and shame!

I always said that Pennsylvania has the worst planning salaries in the United States, bar none. Here's proof, from the APA Pennsylvania Chapter Web site.

For experience, they want ...

Application materials?

This isn't an entry level position. They're looking for a somewhat experienced planner with experience in current planning, comp planning, historic preservation, community development, and grant writing.

Your work? Be a planning director, and work to get millions of dollars of federal and state grants. For all that, you get $35K and the usual benefits -- the same as an assistant night manager at a Sheetz or whatever.

No.
Umm.. yea.. pass.. shiz.. I make 2.75 that and don't even have to do half that work.

glutton

Cyburbian

No.
Damn. I can echo this - my entry level municipal first planning job in Pennsylvania (for a biggish city too, not even a small town) was $42,500) for a Planner II. I made it work by living in a bedroom of someone else's house and paying $600 in rent and putting next to nothing towards retirement because they only encouraged us to contribute 6% towards pension.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Aaaaaaaaand this is why I got out of planning/ED. Too much stress and politics for too little money. I actually did love my old ED job working for a nice mid-sized midwestern college town. Got to be involved in some interesting projects, wore a lot of hats, had lots of input into projects and strategies, managed some cool projects, had a GREAT boss (now retired), and it was honestly pretty easy for me, but I would have had to work there until I was 70 to be able to have even a modest retirement. Nope. Not gonna do it.

glutton

Cyburbian
Aaaaaaaaand this is why I got out of planning/ED.... but I would have had to work there until I was 70 to be able to have even a modest retirement. Nope. Not gonna do it.
Yeah the pension system works if you're 40+ and plan to stay there for a decade or two, but if you're 22 and starting out, having to stay at an employer for 40 years for a pension isn't really an attainable or even imaginable benefit for many younger planners.