• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Loyalty Program Points

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This morning I signed up for a points program for Pizza Hut. We don't eat there much, but I thought why not. Turns out they give you 2 points for every dollar you spend which at first I thought was a great deal... until I realized that a medium 1 topping pizza was 200 points. So I need to spend $100 to get a free medium pizza. Given that I can buy one for $5.00 if bundled with something else... I don't think it is that great of a deal.

But then I looked at the other programs and realized that it is on par for other places, such as Papa Johns, Buffalo Wild Wings, Gas Stations and more. Target had a program like this when their Red Card first came out too.

Do you think that people choose one restaurant or similar commercial place over another because of loyalty points? Do you think that it is a good deal? Are there any that you use on a regular occasion?

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it's a place that I frequent, I might have the points/rewards thing. Papa John's has an ok rewards program, about every 5th order I get a free pizza.

You can install the Honey app on your web browser and while you are in a checkout page when buying anything it will run through discount codes. More often than not it finds a discount for me.

I have a Target Red debit card linked to my checking, it saves me 5% on every transaction. Since we do most of our grocery shopping there it adds up.

Most loyalty/points programs operate in favor of the vendor not the consumer.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my Hannaford app, Tim Horton's, Irving Gas, Shell gas and always the coffee loyalty cards for local coffee shops - the loss of privacy is outweighed with the coupons, rebates and reductions

I forgot about Honey but I will download that!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I have loyalty card through my preferred grocery chain, which gets me discounts on their gas. However, up here finding their gas is more difficult than in the Austin area. I do save overall about 15% with in-store loyalty discounts.

Another grocery chain has a loyalty program that also has gas points (you can designate for other if you don't need/want the focus to be on gas). I use them for quick stops and flowers, but not my main weekly trip. I save 3 cents per gallon on gas every time, regardless of points, and then when I have enough points (takes me a while with infrequent visits) I save 10 cents a gallon.

We have other apps for loyalty, but it's basically for food. And it takes us a while to earn enough points to get the discount. We don't eat out during the week, and we like variety on the weekends.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Lots of loyalty rewards cards in my George Costanza wallet. Grocery store...three different sandwich shops.....World Market....several hardware stores......

Image result for george costanza wallet

DVD

Cyburbian
I hate all the reward crap. If the grocery store can sell soda at $3 if you have their card then they can sell it to people who don't have the card. It's not like I'm getting anything back for your tracking my spending habits. Ooh. A coupon for ice cream! The place in our building tracks the loyalty thing by your debit card number. Once the card has been swiped so many time (over whatever cost) you get a free meal or something. I like this better. No effort by me. At the same time I don't go there for the loyalty thing, I go because it's convenient.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I hate all the reward crap. If the grocery store can sell soda at $3 if you have their card then they can sell it to people who don't have the card. It's not like I'm getting anything back for your tracking my spending habits. Ooh. A coupon for ice cream! The place in our building tracks the loyalty thing by your debit card number. Once the card has been swiped so many time (over whatever cost) you get a free meal or something. I like this better. No effort by me. At the same time I don't go there for the loyalty thing, I go because it's convenient.
It seems more and more Grocery Stores require their loyalty card if you want the sale price on anything.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The only loyalty rewards programs I've found any value in are from our local movie chain and Starbucks.

I go to Starbucks frequently enough that I rack up the "stars" pretty quickly. I also like to hold on to my stars until the last minute so it's like I have an endless supply of free drinks on there when I want to use them.

Our local movie chain gives out points for tickets, concessions, and gift card purchases. I always buy my nieces and nephews movie gift cards for Christmas so I rack up a bunch of points each year in December when I buy those and we go to enough movies as a family that we are almost always earning a free ticket or free concessions. They changed how their system worked a few years ago and for about a year you would earn points if you bought a gift card AND if you bought your ticket/concessions with a gift card. Combine that with their special that they usually run where you could get $125 in gift cards for $100 and you could get a lot of points built up pretty fast. Unfortunately, they have since fixed that glitch so you earn the points now when you buy the gift card but not if you use a gift card to buy the tickets/concessions.

zman

Cyburbian
What I have found value or use frequently enough to reap the benefits:

-Alaska Airlines mileage plan. The last true miles-based airline plan. Helps that I fly the west coast a bunch and they have 6 flights between here and Seattle per day, which for work meetings is cheaper to fly and uber than drive there and stay in hotel. I have been able to catch a couple free flight and get the lowest tier elite status (and the very occasional first class upgrade).

- Southwest Airlines: flew them a ton when I was living in Colorado with Denver as my home airport. I have their credit card too. Easy to earn points and netted a couple free flights. When the family flies, we take these guys out of Spokane often.

- Chipotle: my family and I eat here a bunch, including a traditional lunch on Saturday after swimming. We go through this a ton.

- Starbucks: I sell out for their coffee and my quad-americanos. Their coffee is the same everywhere I go and the app is easy to use. It may not be the best rewards program, but I use it enough to get some "freebies"

Bubba

Cyburbian
Alaska Airlines mileage plan
Delta Skymiles - it's a no-brainer if you live in Atlanta and travel for work. Beyond that, the only ones I see any real benefit from are Kroger and one of the local restaurant groups.

zman

Cyburbian
Delta Skymiles - it's a no-brainer if you live in Atlanta and travel for work. Beyond that, the only ones I see any real benefit from are Kroger and one of the local restaurant groups.
I have thought of them too. In fact, Delta and Alaska used to team up and I could earn miles on both, but they are both now at war for Seattle passenger share and have broken up.
Delta does have a ton of flights from our little airport, and it would make sense, but I believe it is dollars spent now. Of course, they own the City of Atlanta... its lonely at Hartsfield if you're flying with someone else.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I also do Delta Skymiles since I've moved to the south. I caved last year and got their credit card and actually paid for my husband's flight to San Fran for this year's APA.

Other than Delta, my most used right now is actually not mine. My sister has an Amazon Prime account and that gives me a discount on sale items at Whole Foods. I use it religiously and it saves me $5-10/ week for her loyalty.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I use the loyalty cards at the grocery stores. The only rewards program that I use regularly is Jersey Mike's. I don't go there for the program but it's a nice bonus when I have enough points to get a free sub.