• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

M B W E

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
That's Management By Walking Around

My boss is notoriously guity of this, flitting from department to department to see whats going on today, talking about issues in generalities, being non-commital about things but arming himself with enough information to go off on his own and speak about things to others.

Any one else have this problem? Any known solutions (other than hiding under the desk as he approached. I looked silly when he caught me there)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Hmm, none of that here. We do have some MBHIO, Management By Hiding In Office.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hey, at least your boss does that. Ours is never in the office, he has no clue as to what we do, (or what he should do), and half the time, we just do our own thing, with No support from him.

kms

Cyburbian
I work from home, but have noticed some things about our new boss. She seems to endorse, touchy/feely ways of managing the place, but doesn't use them herself. She doesn't even talk to employees.
It seems like someone has hired a non-profit management consulting group who have asked employees to complete surveys about the business and how it's run.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
What would I do with the rest of the day after I talked to all six of my employees?

H

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Hey, at least your boss does that. Ours is never in the office, he has no clue as to what we do, (or what he should do), and half the time, we just do our own thing, with No support from him.
Do we work in the same office????

You must be in the "private" field as well. While it is nice to have freedoms, it would also be nice to get some direction once in a while.

oh well, exept for deadline days and meetings, thats what brings me to cyburbia :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
My old boss used to practice the MBWA principle....pretty annoying after a while. He thought he was intimidating.