• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Malapropisms at work (was: Silly me!)

JNL

Cyburbian
I'm proofreading a document I prepared on CPTED considerations for pedestrian and cycle paths, and I noticed this spelling mistake:

Why do people feel unsafe? ...they may have had a bed experience there in the past; ...
Should have read 'bad'. Glad I caught that one before it went to the client!

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh that's not that bad... It's the misspelling of 'public' that gets the rest of us in trouble most of the time. ;)

Budgie

Cyburbian
I wrote a staff report where the word pubic was used instead of public. Spell check never picks it up. This error was brought to my attention during a televised public hearing. It was hilarious.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Someone here once printed a bunch of documents which showed one of the benefits of a new development as a certain number of jew jobs, instead of new jobs.

JNL

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Someone here once printed a bunch of documents which showed one of the benefits of a new development as a certain number of jew jobs, instead of new jobs.
LOL! Bet that went down well!

Dragon

Cyburbian
I was in class one day, and someone was reading something aloud and misspoke the word organism for the o-word 8-! . Some of us had to wipe tears from out eyes.

Dragon said:
I was in class one day, and someone was reading something aloud and misspoke the word organism for the o-word 8-! . Some of us had to wipe tears from out eyes.
A teacher I had in high school did that one day. Big OOPS. Of course, I think he lost his job over boinking an underaged girl from school. 8-!

JNL

Cyburbian
What's the name for accidentally substituting a similar word for the one you intended, often resulting in a funny unintended meaning?

Dragon

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
A teacher I had in high school did that one day. Big OOPS. Of course, I think he lost his job over boinking an underaged girl from school. 8-!
My high school sex-ed teacher got canned for the same thing. :-c It put kind of a weird twist on everyting he said. :-#

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNL said:
What's the name for accidentally substituting a similar word for the one you intended, often resulting in a funny unintended meaning?
Would that be a Freudian slip?

JNL

Cyburbian
After a bit of research...

Tranplanner said:
Would that be a Freudian slip?
I think the word I was after is malapropism - 'the use of a word in mistake for one sounding similar, to comic effect'

A Freudian slip is when you make an unintentional error that is inferred as revealing subconscious feelings, esp. sexual ones. So I guess a Freudian slip can be a malapropism but a malapropism is not necessarily a Freudian slip B-)

Any more to share?

JNL said:
Any more to share?
At a unit gathering/social function (with a purpose, of course), I once announced that I was "The wife of the First Seargeant" rather than the wife of the Seargeant in charge of First Platoon. All the soldiers giggled at how I gave my husband a huge promotion without noticing it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I wrote a staff report where the word pubic was used instead of public. Spell check never picks it up. This error was brought to my attention during a televised public hearing. It was hilarious.
So was the plan commission seeking pubic input?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A few of my favorites come from HHS Secreatary Thompson's (14 year?) stint as Wisconsin Governor

*An anouncement under his electronic signature for CDBG Public Facilities Grants - but the release said pubic facilities

*A headline in the Milwaukee Sentinel after he used his line item veto authority: Thompson's Pen Is a Sword

Tom R

Cyburbian
oops

When I was in Northern Maine the planning staff used to give an award for typo of the week, month etc. (The prize was a bottle of white out.) One 6'1" stunning blonde secretary's efffort made us give her the prize permanantly.

Our Economic Development coordinator received a call from a local bank about an EDA loan application. It seems that a restaurant owner was requesting a loan to expand his business. On his vitae he stated that he had started out as being a DISH washer. However, our secretary had typed the job as a D**K washer. The loan officer from the bank wanted to see a job discription.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There was a comdominum complex not too far from a place where I used to work. The complex usually displayed a sign that read CANAL PLACE. I say "usually."

In a related note, there was also a subdivision an hour away with a large sign bearing its name: THE GRASSLANDS. Again, another sign that was frequently modified.

Not really malapropisms, I know. Yeah, I've included details regarding 60' wide pubic rights-of-way in a staff report. That's about it, though.

Habanero

Cyburbian
At our last P&Z meeting one of our Commissioners stated he wanted to see how uses on either side of the street copulate. 8-!

nerudite

Cyburbian
About 10 years ago I had an interview with Calaveras County in CA (of jumping frog fame). I had a bad cold and was totally hopped up on cold medicine. At one point I was having a hard time keeping a train of thought going and I apologized and explained the situation, stating that due to the cold medicine I wasn't feeling very "cohesive" today. On the way home I remembered what I had said and thought "coherent, you idiot!" I guess cohesive was close enough, since I was invited to a second interview.

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I'm proofreading a document I prepared on CPTED considerations for pedestrian and cycle paths, and I noticed this spelling mistake:

Should have read 'bad'. Glad I caught that one before it went to the client!

This is a report about bike and pedestrian paths, correct. The person writing it was probably thinking about the time they "did it in the road" or on the bike path! Freudian slip I guess.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Trail Nazi may remember when the Mystic Cove apartments inadvertently became Mystic Love.

That was definitely one of my favorites.

My brain translates a lot of words into malaprops. It makes for some reading sometimes.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
This is a funny one that My dad still remembers.
He's a scientist and during his tenure in the organisation he worked, he had colleagues who were not that good in English.( its usage I mean)
Once he was late in a presentation and was making the last minute transparencies/films( today we have the transparent colorless ones but then maybe they were slightly shaded blue)
So waiting for the presentation the GM asked why Dr. So and So( meaning my father) was not present.One of my dad's team member promptly stood up and said,
" Sir, He's making Blue Films. He will join us soon and make the presentation."