• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

"Maligned" Wal-Mart Launches Publicity Campaign

el Guapo

Capitalist
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-walmart16.html

Boo Hoo....but with appologies to Giff!

'Maligned' Wal-Mart launches PR offensive - April 16, 2004
BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter Advertisement

Wal-Mart's love offensive has begun.

Hoping to counter the blizzard of negative press surrounding the world's fastest-growing corporation, company spokesmen are pounding the pavement, meeting with media and community groups around the city. Their message: Wal-Mart offers better-paying jobs with better benefits than most retailers. Wal-Mart does not hurt other businesses in a community. Wal-Mart hasn't decimated small-town America.

The strategy, the officials said in a meeting with the Chicago Sun-Times editorial board Thursday, is to finally respond to the voluminous attacks against Wal-Mart, many of which are inaccurate, they said. No more will the Arkansas-based retailing behemoth be content to satisfy customers while ignoring the press.

"We've been unfairly maligned,'' said B. John Bisio, Wal-Mart regional director of community affairs for the Midwest. "There is a real misrepresentation of the facts.''....
Yeah, I'm fealing for ya Wally, but what about this abortion?

otterpop

Cyburbian
I read an interesting article on "evil" Walmart yesterday, in this month's Esquire that showed Walmart in a more flattering light. The gist was that Walmart had found a formula for the corporation that worked well and tapped into the public's needs. Much of the criticism was sour grapes by competitors, and there might well come a time, as with most companies, when what Walmart does won't work for them and they will go the way of K-Mart and others.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Let's give Wal-Mart some credit. Much of what is said about them does stretch the truth. They are not all evil. On the other hand, they do hurt small towns, small competitors, and maybe even lower manufacturing wages. Still, I do not have a problem with them presenting their side of the story.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I have a hard time b*tching about them when i shop there 5-6 times a year. The wallet speaks louder than the keyboard...

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Lovely...

Wal-Mart received over $1 Billion in public money ($19 million in Georgia):

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer with over $256 billion in sales last year, has received more than $19 million from Georgia governments to build stores and distribution centers since 1987, according to a study released Monday.

Philip Mattera, research director for Washington-based Good Jobs First, said the money helped Wal-Mart build five distribution centers and three retail stores in the state. Nationwide, governments have given Wal-Mart more than $1 billion, according to the study, primarily based on public records and economic development officials.

Full article (requires @$^@#^ registration): http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/0504/25walmart.html

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I do not like them because they make and attempt (and often succeed) to not play by the same rules as everyone else. Parts of the ordinance and comp plan are there for a reason. One example is our new neighbor (wal-mart). They have been to the planning commission trying to get around just about every provision of our ordinance. I personally denied 3 sign permit applications, and our Zoning board of Appeals denied a variance. I also think that we as planners are part of the blame as well for any big box. I think that with tighter restrictions on development, sight plans, building design, signage, wal-mart could turn into a good thing. (wow did I just say that?) Lets say having multiple building facades, require at least one 0 side setback, shared access drives, in friendly parking design. But they would first have to agree to play by the rules.

BKM

Cyburbian
I love the Kunstler rant in Orion Online about Walmart as a "Cargo Cult." Funny polemic.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
There was a commercial for Wal-Mart last night on the telly, 1st time I'd seen this version. Usually they show a mother cooking at home with her kids (of course) and talking about how with four hungry kids to feed she has to stretch every dollar so the whole family just loves shopping there because it's cheap and has something for everyone yadda yadda. But the one last night--it was more like a public service announcement. Soft-focus, soothing music, people talking (including the mayor of a town, forget the name) about how Wally had changed their lives for the better. Hardly said anything about what they sell, just what a great neighbor they were. Makes me wonder if they have expansion plans in mind for my community.... B-)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Plannerbabs said:
There was a commercial for Wal-Mart last night on the telly, 1st time I'd seen this version. Usually they show a mother cooking at home with her kids (of course) and talking about how with four hungry kids to feed she has to stretch every dollar so the whole family just loves shopping there because it's cheap and has something for everyone yadda yadda. But the one last night--it was more like a public service announcement. Soft-focus, soothing music, people talking (including the mayor of a town, forget the name) about how Wally had changed their lives for the better. Hardly said anything about what they sell, just what a great neighbor they were. Makes me wonder if they have expansion plans in mind for my community.... B-)

Heck, I have heard the Wal-Mart came to Compton CA and made the whole place wonderful ad six times in the last week. I hear Wal-Mart is going to Falugia, Iraq next. Can't you see the vision? "Amed has infidels to kill and I have a household to run? Where else can I feed my six little martyrs to be, get a case of RPG rockets and find the latest DVD's of Imam Wazuhueri? By the grace of Allah, It must be Wal-Mart for every day low prices. Allah Akbahr!

Sorry Giff :)

Attachments

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
el Guapo said:
Sorry Giff :)

Hey, it's ok, just don't tell me all of the same stuff for the 50th time. I am happy to hear new stuff.