• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Manhattan's parking requirements?

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
I though this was an interesting discussion which could be continued.

O-Planner
I heard awhile ago that all new residential developments in Manhattan are forbidden for having any parking. Is this ture?

---
jordanb
That sounds awesome. Chicago should do that (rather than requiring a certian amount of parking per unit as they do now).

People will drive their cars until the roads are gridlocked if not checked in some other way. Gridlock imposes a heavy tax on the resources of a city by causing vast amounts of pollution, slowing response time for emergency vehicles, reducing the efficiency of transportation of goods, and slowing shared-ROW public transportation. The two ways to check automobile use are to use congestion charging as in London, or restrict the amount of parking available. I think cities probably need to use a combination of both to control congestion.

---
Cardinal
Absolutely ban new development within the city from providing parking. There could be no better possible economic development tool for suburban and rural areas than a central city policy that makes development there impractical and chases all of the potential tenants to other locations. Bring it on!

---
StraBe
Can the requirments for parking, in Chicago or elsewhere, generally be met with off-site parking?

---
O-Planner
But it seems to be working in Manhattan, and if they did allow parking then all of NYC will suffer from absolute gridlock.

---
Cardinal
I have not yet seen anyone cinfirm that New York prohibits new development from including parking. I suspect that is not true. Parking can still be obtained in Manhattan, although at a high price. Much of the new development within Manhattan is designed to appeal to a consumer who would be likely to pay that price. If the amenity is not offered, many of these consumers will look elsewhere.