• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Many Songs Shouldn’t Exist Anymore

jzt83

Cyburbian
There are many songs that I really can’t stand and make my blood boil. Some songs just shouldn’t exist anymore. Don’t get me wrong, most of the songs I can’t stand are musically great, but there’s just something about them that just pisses me off. I can’t really explain specifically why. Well, I’ve compiled a short list of songs that I believe really sucks. Most other songs written by these bands are horrible too, but I’m only listing the worst songs of each respective band.

Rascals - Groovin’(can you believe this song was number one on the top 500 oldies countdown on a local radio staion?)

The Guess Who - American Women

Lovin’ Spoonful - Do you Believe in Magic

Steppen Wolf - Magic Carpet Ride

BB Band - Spirit in the Sky

AC/DC - Back in Black (I can’t understand why people love this band)

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Proud Mary (They use to be one of my favorite bands)

The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville

The Doors – Light My Fire (were one of my favorite bands too)

Jefferson Airplane – Don’t you want somebody to love (I don’t know the actual name of the song)

The Troggs – Wild Thing

Elton John – Rocket Man

Sonny and Cher – I got you Babe

I could go on and on. Basically most songs out there really have no staying power. Only a handful of bands possessed the ability to write songs that never become tiresome. I’d have to say that The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan are the few artists who were capable of creating, in essence, eternal songs that never get dull. Most songs, especially newer ones, are disposable peices of garbage meant to be heard for a short while then thrown away for eternity -- never to be heard ever again.

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
That's the problem with art in general: good or bad, once created it cannot be undone.

I just find it best to ignore and avoid the stuff that makes the blood boil.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't think I agree with a lot of those... I mean, they should still exist but get a hell of a lot less radio play.

The song I hate more than anything that gets airplay still on some classic stations up here (and some regular stations too) is "Spirit in the Sky". The original version, not the even lamer 80s remake.

[OT rant]What burns me even more is when they ignore very awesome songs from a band to play the same damn song over and over. Case in point: I don't think I've heard any Police song since living in Edmonton other than Roxanne on the radio. Couldn't they break out a little and play anything else? It's not like there weren't dozens of other hits they can play. [/OT rant]

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, I'd have to give thumbs-down to your bad songs list. Most of them I still like, in moderation.

tsc

Cyburbian
I wouldn't put any song with Grace Slick on the list....

but I would put on the list... any song by Bryan Adams or Huey Lewis....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I must have bad taste, because I like all of those except I got you babe....

jzt83

Cyburbian
Oh my god, I can't stand that "spirit in the sky" song. I should add that to my list.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Thank God (beer) I don't have to hear that damn Hanson song, Um Bop, oh christ its back in my head.

jzt83

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia - "ANYTHING by MATALICA, whiney F@#$S!"

I actually like Metallica, not as much as I used to though. I don't they are whiney at all. James voice is incredible and actually can be heard! Unlike most other metal bands.

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Dancing Queen by ABBA

Anything off of the "Grease" soundtrack

I asscoiate these with my babysitter from hell during the 70's, who blew the speakers on my parents stereo while playing them

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
BOSTON

At midnight (U.M.T.) 31.10.2003 all recordings of Boston's album will self-destruct, including vinyl, tape, digital and paper media. You have been warned.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
How about all of those crappy and void pop songs from boy bands and maniquins like Back street boys or Britney Spears? Or the whinny Nu-Metal crap? And don't forget eminem...

I don't have anything against them... or people that like that kind of music... unless they are blasting their radios right by my ears... you know I have a right to live in a non acoustically polluted enviroment...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Howard Roark said:
Dancing Queen by ABBA

Anything off of the "Grease" soundtrack
YUCK *shudders* YUCK

I had this friend in college whenever I would go to his house for a few beers before the bar his roommate would play ABBA - Dansing Queen as the last song before he went out and I would have that aweful aweful song in my head all night.

After a while of this I made them come to my house for beers just to avoid ABBA.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Whe I lived in Denver not too long ago, a few radio stations had Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party on in heavy rotation. It's the band's most irritating and unlistenable song, IMHO, and I found it strange that for some reason the 1980s era song was played so much on Denver radio in the late 1990s, when the band has almost no airtime in other markets.

I've heard that Song 2 by Blue, otherwise known as the "woo-hoo song," has been used in commercials for more products and brands than any other popular song ever written or recorded.

Another song I find somewhat irritating is Atomic by Blondie. The music is great, but the lyrics ....

You hair looks beautiful
tonight
tonight
Atomic!

... over and over and over ...

tsc

Cyburbian
JoshD said:

I had this friend in college whenever I would go to his house for a few beers before the bar his roommate would play ABBA - Dansing Queen as the last song before he went out and I would have that aweful aweful song in my head all night.

.... and just what kind of bar was he going too??

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
tsc said:
.... and just what kind of bar was he going too??
YA know that is a good question. He never went out to the bar with my buddy and I. I always thought he was a bit strange, but now I'm beginning to wonder. HMMMMM

nerudite

Cyburbian
JoshD said:
YA know that is a good question. He never went out to the bar with my buddy and I. I always thought he was a bit strange, but now I'm beginning to wonder. HMMMMM
Maybe he's just metrosexual... I know a lot of guys (both FABULOUS and RUGGED!) that like ABBA.

RoadRunner

some bands never die...

Mike D. said:
Metallica died in 1991 .... get on with your life.
mike d., hearkening back to your introduction when i joined this website, does this mean we have to stop selling out def leppard up in allentown?

sniff...won't someone pour some sugar on me...please?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: some bands never die...

RoadRunner said:
mike d., hearkening back to your introduction when i joined this website, does this mean we have to stop selling out def leppard up in allentown?

sniff...won't someone pour some sugar on me...please?
huh?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
As a "mature" Cyburbian...as much as I like classic rock, I wish the old rockers would stop touring. There's something pathetic about a guy/guys in their 60's still touring with songs from 30 years ago.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
As a "mature" Cyburbian...as much as I like classic rock, I wish the old rockers would stop touring. There's something pathetic about a guy/guys in their 60's still touring with songs from 30 years ago.
I couldn't agree more.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Zoning Goddess said:
One exception: Neil Young.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
[B There's something pathetic about a guy/guys in their 60's still touring with songs from 30 years ago. [/B]
And charging people $110 per ticket. What's that about??

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I read that Simon and Garfunkel will be in South FL with tickets up to $260. Nobody is that good!
OT: Did you hear the Simon & Garfunkel spoof on A Prairie Home Companion last weekend? Hilarious!

I'm sitting in the limousine
In Omaha or Aberdeen.
On a tour of hockey rinks and gosh the P.A. system stinks
And every stop is a round of drinks with all the promoters' wives in minks
Rest home bound
Someday I'll be
Rest home bound
Sounds of the gas escaping
Sounds of the walkers scraping
Songs that need carbon dating
Gosh how they bore me.

http://www.prairiehome.org/performances/20030927/scripts/simongarfunkel.shtml

The Irish One

I hear the same 3 or 4 songs by the Talking Heads all of the time. They have so many goods songs to choose from.

Save Alaska!

Let the caribou stay.

Don't care what the governments say

They're all bought

and paid for anyway.

Neil Young is so freaking great! I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing Southern Man/Keep on Rockin' in the Free World again.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I can think of many better ways to
spend that amount of money.

donk

Cyburbian
Richmond Jake posted One exception: Neil Young.
In my best comic book guy voice - Worst Concert Ever.

I saw him about 15 years ago at Canda's Wonderland, usually a good venue for a show, and it both sucked and blowed.

BKM

Cyburbian
Ancient Dinosaurs of Rock

My favorite commentary (in song) from a great indie rock band (Porcupine Tree)

"Songs of Rebellion make you rage
But they're sung by millionaires who are nearly twice your age)."

biscuit

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
REM - "Shiny Happy People"
That one gets my vote. That song is so bad that even Michael Stipe has said in interviews that he hates it and the band will never play it again.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
That one gets my vote. That song is so bad that even Michael Stipe has said in interviews that he hates it and thet band will never play it again.
I'm glad because I hope I never hear that damn song again!

Seabishop

Cyburbian

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights

Also . . .

"I Was Made for Loving You" by KISS

"Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Seabishop said:

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights

No way! I have too many memories of my two female drinking buddies and I singing that one ..... think Bohemian Rhapsody from Waynes World

Seabishop

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
No way! I have too many memories of my two female drinking buddies and I singing that one ..... think Bohemian Rhapsody from Waynes World
Sorry, I have connections at Clear Channel, you're never going to hear it again. ;)