• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Sports 🥌 March Madness

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm hoping council goes quickly tonight, so I can catch as much of the UM/LSU game as possible.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yea, when you go with the Big10 to play well, and they just keep losing your bracket looks ugly...

I mean ODU clearly is legit. Good for them... I still think no one matters but Gonzaga, but at this point I am rooting for ODU to win it all ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm hoping council goes quickly tonight, so I can catch as much of the UM/LSU game as possible.
YAY...UM won and plays Florida State on Sunday afternoon.

Yeah, Illinois and Iowa were my championship game, with Iowa winning. So much for the BIG101112 being the best conference in MBB this year.
But....Michigan. :cool:

Planit

Cyburbian
How is it possible that I am leading right now... My bracket is a joke and is a burnt slice of toast at this point in time.

There are probably alot of brackets that smell like microwave reheated fish but are leading caused by lots of upsets.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
My best bracket right now is still my SU one with 31 picks - I dropped down to 52nd in the field from 11? I was hoping Maryland would have beat up Alabama so...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Did you not pick EVERY Big10 team to win? That is how... lol ;)
There is a guy in Ann Arbor who has a perfect bracket. He said he started out random, and then picked OSU to loose right away and Michigan to win it all, and then adjusted randomly from there.

(Personally, I prefer MSU basketball over U of M because IZZO is a Yooper)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a guy in Ann Arbor who has a perfect bracket. He said he started out random, and then picked OSU to loose right away and Michigan to win it all, and then adjusted randomly from there.

(Personally, I prefer MSU basketball over U of M because IZZO is a Yooper)

I do multiple brackets in yahoo and at cbs sports and some of them are counting every x number of games and then it's an upset - my SU bracket had SU wining and then I picked the colleges I liked for whatever reason to win so yeah - guessing the upsets is the tough one

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Michigan plays Florida State this coming Sunday afternoon in UM's 4th consecutive entrance to the Sweet 16.

:daydream:

I have a bracket where Michigan takes it all, the game highlights I saw of them are pretty amazing - my brackets did not assume Florida's teams, the Gators and the other one lol would not had made it this far

and another thing - the number of days between games is ridiculous - these are 20 year olds, they should just have a day off in between games and that's it - keep it rollin people - the fun of the bracket is following the games and no no games for 3 days is ridiculous #firstworldproblems

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
...no no games for 3 days is ridiculous #firstworldproblems
Well...I'm ok with it as a Sunday afternoon game is specifically designed for maximum viewership and gives me the time to actually watch it.

Also, I don't do brackets. I'm just into it for the great basketball. I like the single elimination nature of the tourney as it forces every game to presumably be players at their best.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Also, Bama lost to UCLA by 10. Wow. Upset City this tourney. 2 seed losing to an 11 seed.

EDIT: Watching the highlights...WOW that Bama 3 pointer at the literal end of regulation. :cool:

Last edited:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
What would happen if the rest of the games were upsets and Oregon State won it all. Would the Selection Sunday lose all credibility?

No. It's bound to happen eventually. There are a LOT of very good basketball players in this country. And coaching is better than ever too. If you get a team playing well together, and that's the key, they can defeat a team with more superstars. Especially in a one and done tournament. And you have to factor in this year's seedings based upon a limited schedule for almost every team. You didn't have the out of conference matchups that your normally do.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
So UCLA huh? Down goes the Big10.

Just so we are all clear, this is still Gonzaga and everyone else playing for fun, right?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So UCLA huh? Down goes the Big10.

Just so we are all clear, this is still Gonzaga and everyone else playing for fun, right?

I watched less college basketball this season than I ever have before but I did make an effort to sit down and watch the entire game between UCLA and Michigan.

As a Michigan fan did I ever pick a bad game to watch or what?

For such a low scoring game it was pretty entertaining but Michigan was just taking stupid shots in the final few minutes and couldn't hit a single one. Oh well. I'll cheer for UCLA from this point forward.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Wow. That was easily one of the top 5 sporting events I've ever seen where I didn't really have a rooting interest. It was like a heavyweight fight where they trade punches for 12 rounds. There literally wasn't one minute that wasn't exciting.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Wow. That was easily one of the top 5 sporting events I've ever seen where I didn't really have a rooting interest. It was like a heavyweight fight where they trade punches for 12 rounds. There literally wasn't one minute that wasn't exciting.
Agreed. I got to see that last half second 3 in real time. It was awesome. Suggs isn’t going to have to buy a drink again for the next 3 years in Spokane...especially if Gonzaga wins Monday.

Baylor’s a monster though.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
It’ll be a good final.

Do you think Zags feeling some pressure? That last shot was a hell of a boost for them.

Baylor cruised.

Bubba

Cyburbian
That last shot - just wow. I'm thinking as he let it go there's no way he even hits the rim, we're going to a second OT....

I stand corrected. :cool:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Well Baylor crushed. They played really well. Not nearly as fun as the UCLA v. Gonzaga game though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was about to sit down and watch the tip off of the game last night and remembered I still had to put my Jeep in the garage so I threw on my shoes and went and did that. It probably took me less than 2 minutes and when I came in Baylor was already up 9-0.

I didn't follow the NCAA enough this year to really have an informed decision beyond knowing both of these teams started the season ranked 1 and 2 (did they ever move from those spots?) and I figured it would be a good game. From what I saw during the rest of the tournament, I though Gonzaga would win and I think I was sort of hoping for an undefeated season for them.

Great game all around though.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Baylor dropped to #3 in the polls for a week or two after one of their losses, but they and Gonzaga were clearly the two best teams in the country this season. It was pretty cool to see the tournament actually produce that sort of championship matchup.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I did not watch the game last night... but in terms of the Cyburbia Bracket Challenge:

But, as the name of my team states, I still think basketball is not a real sport. It is somewhere between a theatrical production and crossfit.