• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Market/public space under elevated highway

Hi all,
Just wondering could anyone help, I’m currently completing a project proposing a market and public space in a site under elevated highways. I have tried to researched developments of this nature, or any form recreation occurring in such a space but I have not found much. I would appreciate any information any one may have that may be of help.

iamme

Cyburbian
123456 said:
Hi all,
Just wondering could anyone help, I’m currently completing a project proposing a market and public space in a site under elevated highways. I have tried to researched developments of this nature, or any form recreation occurring in such a space but I have not found much. I would appreciate any information any one may have that may be of help.
Check out http://milwaukeepublicmarket.org/. This is under construction right now adjacent to an elevated highway in the CBD of Milwaukee, WI - USA. Also you might try looking for some articles about this in the city's newspaper (jsonline.com). Good Luck.

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I seem to recall seeing situations like this. Although I think it might have been elevated rail tracks. Also, these instances were in NY and London where land is of course at a premium. Where are you located?

BKM

Cyburbian
Paris, France installed new live work and workshop space underneath a viaduct, I believe? I've always thought this might be an alternative to tearing down every freeway.

Luca

Cyburbian
hear hear

BKM said:
Paris, France installed new live work and workshop space underneath a viaduct, I believe? I've always thought this might be an alternative to tearing down every freeway.
If architects, who think they're so damn smart, instead of wasting time figuring out new ways to 'bend' and 'racture' buildings around fanciful shapes used their intellect to come up with ways to have really quite useful freeways that do not 'rape' their surroundings and create space beneath adn aroudn them it would be great. But no, let's just psoture. The Westway in London (London's only freeway taht really gets well into the urban fabric, is in msot spots a divider. Interestingly, in the few plaes where street-level connectivity has been maintained, there are some of London's liveliest neighborhoods (I'm thiunking Portobello Road, etc.).