• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Marplot

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My office-mate and I discovered this word today and it just tickled us:

Marplot: A stupid, officious meddler whose interference spoils the success of an undertaking (After Marplot, a character in The Busy Body, a play by Susanna Centlivre (1667-1723)).

Now we have a new code word for our most infamous "citizen activists" who are actually marplots.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I love it!! I have just passed the word around to those who need it here. Excellent!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
sisterceleste said:
Can this word be an adjective as in marplot zealot????????????????
or a zealous marplot?.......I like the sound of the word. Has a nice ring.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I'll use it in a sentence today. I love baffling people with vocabulary. Half the time they don't know whether to smile or be offended.

I like "fop" as well. I saw that word in "The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot and use it in conversation at least once a week.

donk

Cyburbian
I see another never ending thread coming up.

Real words, not in common usage that are not obscene or crude that are great to insult or describe a person. There must be a single word to describe that sentence.