• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mass Planner Migration Expected in to Canada - Legal Weed?

Will it or won't it pass

• It will never happen, eh.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • It will pass and I'll join the Toronto Tea Room Clube, eh.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • You Yanks have it all wrong. The story is inaccurate, eh.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All these damn dope heads deserve to die, eh!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Huh, pass the donuts, eh Mr. Hand.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other, not stoned explanation below

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other, totally stoned explanation below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have a feeling it will pass. And even if it doesn't, it really doesn't matter. People light up here all the time in public. I think there were more people smoking than not at the last concert I went to. Part of the reason that it will pass is because it's already so prevalent and accepted....at least in Alberta / B.C. I have no clue what it's like out east.

donk

Cyburbian
Just rememebr they are not legalizing it (for peter tosh) they are proposing to partially decriminalize possession of specified quantities and in specific situations.

The RCMP and the police associations are supportive of this.

As for acceptance on the east coast, it is pretty popular here.

Like TP I don't really care as I am not a user.

BKM

Cyburbian
They seem to be sending mixed messages:

Decriminalize doing it, but punish the "entrepeneurs" who meet the demand.

Being asthmatic (at least seasonally) the idea of deliberately inhaling smoke into my lungs doesn't appeal very much, but is it really any "worse" than having a beer after work?

BKM

Cyburbian
Habanero: Only the special amongst us can merit being a "hoosier." Its like, a special club or something :)

Go Dan Quayle!

Habanero

Cyburbian
ha ha, no, I just want to move to Canada, how is Canada on marketing jobs- after James gets his masters that's were we'll be looking.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Habanero said:
ha ha, no, I just want to move to Canada, how is Canada on marketing jobs- after James gets his masters that's were we'll be looking.
So you want to be a hoser, then, eh? Cool.

The job market is still fairly good up here, but the economy is showing signs of weakening. It really depends on how the U.S. economy fares...

Planning jobs at all levels are still plentiful, at least in Ontario. Marketing...I'm not sure. I know under NAFTA that you'd have no problem getting planning work up here...not sure about James.

One question: why? (I mean besides the legal weed)

donk

Cyburbian
From my recent examination of NAFTA, if James can be considered a management advisor he could also qualify for the easy Visa, if not there is room in it for spouses.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
So you want to be a hoser, then, eh? Cool.

The job market is still fairly good up here, but the economy is showing signs of weakening. It really depends on how the U.S. economy fares...

Planning jobs at all levels are still plentiful, at least in Ontario. Marketing...I'm not sure. I know under NAFTA that you'd have no problem getting planning work up here...not sure about James.

One question: why? (I mean besides the legal weed)
yeah, that's what I meant, I want to be a hoser when I grow up! I want to move because it's so beautiful, and politically both of us fit in better up there. I would love for my kids to be raised in Canada too- better school system than what we've got offered right now and hockey.

donk

Cyburbian
Habanero said
better school system than what we've got offered right now
I would not always make that assumption. Some provinces and areas have better schools then others. My sister and brother in law moved back to Ontario to avoid our school system.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Come for a visit in January and see how beautiful you think it is then!

As for the schools, I think it depends on what area you're in, not what country. We have good and bad up here, just as in the U.S.

SGB

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Oh, man! And all the while I thought the future of the U.S. job market was dependant on how the Canadian economy fared.

;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Come for a visit in January and see how beautiful you think it is then!

As for the schools, I think it depends on what area you're in, not what country. We have good and bad up here, just as in the U.S.
we wanted to raise our future kids in TX, until we saw they are 48th of 50.