• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Master Sign Plans - Yea or Nay?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
What are people's opinions on master sign plans for large developments? How do they work to your experience?

links and text desired

We are planning to include such a mechanism in the revision of our sign code and I need to get a good idea of how they function and the quality of their outcomes.

I am thinking toward a looser set of guidelines for the master sign plan section, which I think would be much better than a very prescriptive one.

Picking the throbbing brain!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think that they are great as long as they are not too rigid. I think that some communities will have a rule that says all signs must be a certain color and then yoy may end up with a monotony of signs that all look the same. I think if you have guidelines that stipulate similar materials, types of signs (individually mounted channel letters for example), and number of signs.

The best thing about a Master Sign Program is that you eliminate those ugly multi tenant signs where every tenant has a panel with 2 inch lettering that traffic has to virtually stop to read to see if their destination is even there.

Here is a link to our ordinance