• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Mattress Giant

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Does anyone on here have a Mattress Giant store in their city? If so, I would like to know if you have had any problems with them. We got to a point where the Plan Commission almost revoked their Conditional Use permit because of a series of sign ordinance violations. They begged for forgiveness and the City didn't revoke the permit. Now they are at it again. I am getting the feeling that this is par for the course for this corporation.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
We had one in the City I used to work for....and their list of sign violations hit 5 pages before I left.

Jeff

Cyburbian
While I don't work in the enforcement world, I can tell you that in Philly, Mattress Giant has signs everywhere, stapled to utility poles, sidewalk signs, etc.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
They are not in Wisconsin, as far as I know. I have known others like them. Often it is somewhat a franchise operation, and the local owners are trained on these techniques without regard to whether they may be illegal. Of course, whether locally owned or corporate-owned, they shouldn't be doing it. The next time they do, burn down their store.

(Note: My attorney would probably want me to say that you should not, under any circumstance, actually burn down their store. Use a bulldozer instead.)