• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Me, damn it.

Decay B

I think I introduced myself months ago, but I am not sure.

Let me give it another shot..

I started out as a very left-wing commie type, laboring among the other sectarian pinheads, when my little corner of the sectlet world collapsed. Answer: graduate school!

My hard line views softened and after graduation I worked for several years in a big city government in various planning and community development jobs. Then came some work doing community-based development in low income neighborhoods. Then a short stint selling surplus state human service campuses (former hospitals, etc.)

From there, I started heading for the dark side, doing commercial real estate development (strip center rehabs, commercial office space) before landing back in a facilities planning job with a local institution.

I am not sure what lessons I have drawn from this two decade sojourn in and around planning. I am certainly more sensitive and respectful of property rights and less tolerant of government regulation that is stupid or just arbitrary.

I do still feel more attached to planning as a profession than to the business side of real esate development or even community-based housing and other development.

So - stop by and say hi, ok?

- decay b

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hi, ok?

Several of us have crossed the line now and then. We keep coming back to redeem ourselves.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Some time ago, I had the pleasure of pursuing conditional use application for a city-owned race track outside the city jurisdiction. We learned quite a bit about regulations from the other side. I think it would behoove all regulators to 'test run' a project through their own regulations. You will be amazed how much each provision can cost a development proposal.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Decay B said:

From there, I started heading for the dark side,

- decay b
Wow, this is where my last job went down the toilet. I made fun of a former employee for going to the "dark side". I even said he had become "Darth F____er". Then he mysteriously reappeared as our dept. director. Whoops!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome...

We don't pay much attention to which side you are on here, whether it's planning, the 49th parallel, or gun control regulations... there seems to be a lot of tolerance for all sides. So welcome to the loony free-for-all. :)

Decay B

Fellow Cyberbunites (sp?) - I registered, so I guess I am one.

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

You can definitely get burned by joking around in ways that suggest moral superiority on your part. I am in a large metro area, but it is still a small town in many ways.

My "going to the dark side" joke is funnier to me when I say it than if some self-righteous public official or community activist says the same thing.

See ya all around the 'berb!

donk

Cyburbian
welcome aboard, it will be interesting to have another voice from the other side of the table around.

Decay - Glad to have you with us. I think most of have dipped our toes in another pond. Builds character and brings perspective.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Decay B said:
I am not sure what lessons I have drawn from this two decade sojourn in and around planning. I am certainly more sensitive and respectful of property rights and less tolerant of government regulation that is stupid or just arbitrary.
- decay b
Welcome to Cyburbia. Your quote above especially caught my attention. Well stated!