• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards menu signs for fast food joints

Glomer

Do any of your City's have special regulations concerning fast food menu signs? As far as size and height..... if so, what are they?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
"Menu boards, not exceeding 36 sq. ft. in area, nor 8' in height, and limited to 1 menu board per establishment, shall be permitted. Said signs shall be set back 5' from all non-residential property lines and 10' from all residential property lines. "

8' seems pretty high to me.

Glomer

I agree with you on the 8 feet being too hight, however a majority of the cities that have responded back to me have 10 feet maximum height limits, with 50 square feet in size.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Make sure you put a cap on the decibels of the speaker too.

No, I have no idea what is an acceptable level though. I'm sure someone else does though.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Might also want to check the illumination, especially if it's near a residential area. Those things can be pretty bright at night. And more and more of them have EVMS components--those "check your order" screens--and sometimes those are dealt with separately.

boiker

Cyburbian
dated ordinance

6 feet in height, 30 sq ft max ,1 menu board permitted.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
From the code I wrote:

Drive-through restaurant menu and ordering boards - one attached (wall) or freestanding (pole) sign allowed on a lot. Signs may be ≤6’ (1.8 m) tall and ≤32’2 (2.95 m2) in area.