• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad ... here's your present from SATAN Claus :(

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021223/1033257.asp

The Rodriguezes are among hundreds of homeowners in North Amherst reporting problems with their homes sinking. The houses were built on a crust of hard clay that floats atop a layer of underground muck, according to one expert. Some of this muck holds so much water, it has the consistency of peanut butter, according to contractor Benjamin Stroyer.

My parents live smack in the middle of the dark green zone shown on the map in the article.

Nothing wrong with my parents' house yet, but they do have a sump pump which has been running once an hour since they bought their house in 1992. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens to their suburban dream ...

Oh my god! how did the developers get by doing soil borings? That completely sucks. We have a sorta similar case where this neighborhood was having off the charts methane readings in their houses - apparantly, when the site was being cut and filled, the developer just plowed over the scrub brush, which is totally allowable, as it is natural fill. but the soil was heavy heavy clay, the organic matter began to deteriorate and follow strata lines into people's basements. Before they could figure out what the problem was, our town spent $300K on 24 hour monitoring and digging. These people didn't even want to buy a $2K venting system, or even as a quick fix, a $6 bottle of caulk - they demanded the town pay for and do everything. sigh.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I hope their house turns out ok....

Or on the other hand, they may be better off getting out.

BKM

Cyburbian
Solano County Love Canal

There is a town south of here (Benicia, California) where portions of the town's largest subdivision (Southhampton) was built atop toxic ooze from a former landfill. Black goo has over the years been oozing into the poor people's back yards. Like our own Mini-Love Canal. :(

Re: Solano County Love Canal

BKM said:
There is a town south of here (Benicia, California) where portions of the town's largest subdivision (Southhampton) was built atop toxic ooze from a former landfill. Black goo has over the years been oozing into the poor people's back yards. Like our own Mini-Love Canal. :(
We went to a wedding in Benicia last year- such a cute little town!