• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

michaelskis 4 p.m. Question of the day

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Ahhhh, I need to learn to do inspections in the morning....once again Maister was kind enough to help me out.
Yesterday someone won an event that meant so much to his fans as well as the fans of his dad's Dale jr. won the Daytona 500, only 3 years after the same race killed Dale Sr. One announcer said "this is one of the greatest moments in sports..."
Makes me wonder, what do you think is the SINGLE GREATEST MOMENT IN SPORTS?

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
The greatest moment I have experienced has to be the Pat's Superbowl XXXVI win! What a great feeling!

boiker

Cyburbian
the greatest moment in sports has not yet occured. it will be when the a chicago pro baseball team, either side.. north side or south side, wins a world title.

Last world series victory:

cubs: 1908
white sox: 1917

all you boston fans need to understand, you've had a world title more recently than any chicago fan.(1918). You have no right to complaint about a 'title drought' in bean-town. :p

Repo Man

Cyburbian
On a personal level, the Packers winning the superbowl against the Pats would be the greatest moment in sports. Second would be the Wisconsin Badgers winning the Rose Bowl against heavily-favored UCLA in 1994. Third would be Wisconsin Badgers mens BBall team making the final four a few years back. Fourth would be the Brewers winning the AL pennant in 1982.

On a non-presonal level, I would probably say that the Miracle on Ice is number one

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The only one I can ever remember is the skier careening down the hill at the beginning of Wide World of Sports.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like most others, I have multiple "greatest moments".....

Red Wings Stanley Cup a few year ago....the first of three (3) in about five (5) years. That one was special.

Detroit Tigers coming back from a 3-1 game deficit to beat Bob Gibson (perhaps baseball's greatest arm) and his St. Louis Cardinals, World Series, 1968. Punch-in the 1984 Tigers and their 25-5 season start and World Series victory.

Being a Pittsburgh Steeler fan I loved our four (4) Super Bowl victories. (Many sports folks call "the Immaculate Reception", in a playoff game proceeding one (1) of those Super Bowls, as the "greatest moment".

Being a University of Michigan fan, any national championship....we have so many in so many sports, but who's counting?.....AND any year we beat Ohio State on the football field.

But, I felt the proudest when the "miracle on ice" happened. (And my grandparents were born in Ruskiville.....Russia.)

Goes to show ya.

Bear

Nadia Commenci in, I think, the 1976 Olympics winning so many gold medals and scoring perfect 10's. They changed the way they scored gymnastics in the Olympics and other international competetions after that. She was 14. I think Olga Korbut was still competing in the Olympics that year too. It was a big year for gymnastics, even though I believe Olga was past her prime. She used to get fan mail by the ton. The post office delivered it to her even if the ONLY "address" on it was : Olga, Moscow

donk

Cyburbian
Steve Bauer wearing the yellow jersey in the tour, or his year of second and third places. So close to tbeing greatness, yet so far away.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
2005 World Series... Boston Red vs Chicago Cubs!!!

1991 NCAA Hockey Championship (NMU own over Boston College)

or the

1981 Miracle on Ice

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The miracle on ice is still my favorite, followed by the 2 Patriots Super Bowl wins....someday I'll get that Red Sox World Series victory....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Bear Up North said:
Punch-in the 1984 Tigers and their 25-5 season start and World Series victory.
Slightly Off-topic:
My dad took me and my brother to one of the Tiger games during the 1984 season. It was at Tiger Stadium and against the Orioles. Well, You say the Tigers had a 25-5 season start, well during such an amazingly successful season, the game we were at was one of the 5 they lost that year. Kind of annoying.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Roger Maris' 61 home runs in 1961

Unbridled's 1990 Kentucky Derby win
(Mrs. Genter, you're going to win the Kentucky Derby!)

The Miracle on Ice

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
JNL said:
Maister, are you sure you're not michaelskis' PA? ;)

"P.O" (parole officer) would be closer to the truth.....