• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mickey D's CEO dies....Heart Attack

ludes98

Cyburbian
Wow. The McDonald's CEO had a heart attack, at a McDonald's convention! The irony of it all....
Instead of all the new gimmicky crap they keep coming out with, why can't they make their existing product line healthier and taste better? I wish this event could be the catalyst, but I doubt it.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
They have commercials now for a turkey on a flatbread sandwitch featuring smart, young career girls eating at McDonalds.

They have veggie burgers in England but not here.

First Dave Thomas, then this guy, next thing you know the Burger King will pass on.

First Atkins, now the McD's CEO? Oh, the tragic irony.

However, I will be the first to admit, when I do occasionally have fast food, I wouldn't touch a salad or parfait with a ten foot french fry. Sometimes nothing will do but a Whopper with greasy fries.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Wait a minute, their new CEO just unveiled the new proto-type for all their stores, to take affect immediately. No more playgrounds, no more white and red paint, no more 50' signs. A spanish colonial version will be available for the southwest. There will be a weigh-in at the door to prevent the obese from tarnishing the new McD's image, and to prevent lawsuits from the overfed. :-D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm never happy to hear someone has died from a heart attack. I remember when James Fixx (running guru of the late 70's/early 80's) died of a heart attack. Afterwards, lots of people half joked "well, you see how much value is in all that 'good living" as if his death invalidated his cause. I hope Mr. Cantalupo's passing in no way reflects poorly on the menu changes McD's has been trying to implement. A lot of people could stand to benefit from a lifestyle change.

I just DARE someone to say something ironic or humorous now........... ;-)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
BKM said:
Mr. Cantaloup? Hah!
I believe he had his name legally changed when he assumed the Chair. His old name, James Tofulettucecarrotsoymilkbeansprouts, lacked marketing 'street credibility'....

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
It's just too bad he didn't make it to see the release of the new adult happy meals with salad, water, and pedometer.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
It's just too bad he didn't make it to see the release of the new adult happy meals with salad, water, and pedometer.

I hear their new "heart healthy" meals feature two Bayer aspirin and a defribulator (sp?).

pete-rock

Cyburbian
My sister-in-law is an exec with McDonald's, and she's in Orlando for the meetings. I heard the news about the CEO first thing this morning, and my wife calls her sister to tell her what she heard. She hadn't been told yet.

They must've had a hella succession plan, though -- a new CEO and chairman were named by mid-morning.