• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Software Microsoft Access question

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok here is one for all the computer people in here.

I am creating a few databases in Microsoft Access.

I want to create a search form (such as key word or applicant name) that will bring up information. I am not sure as to how to create this. The help files so far have been no help, and it would save allot of time for our Zoning / Codes research and our Attorney Opinions Files.

Any information would be of great help.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Re: Computer Program Question, PLEASE HELP

michaelskis said:
Ok here is one for all the computer people in here.

I am creating a few databases in Microsoft Access.

I want to create a search form (such as key word or applicant name) that will bring up information. I am not sure as to how to create this. The help files so far have been no help, and it would save allot of time for our Zoning / Codes research and our Attorney Opinions Files.

Any information would be of great help.

You want it to open a table window showing the data or what?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I was going to create a form that will pop up (basically a switchboard) and from that one of the choices will be to search for key word. In the tables that I will have, one field will be “key words” that will relate to that record. I think that I have figured out how to search for a range based on date, but nothing that will let me call up a specific text, that will allow for me to call up specific records.

jordanb

Cyburbian
If you have a form object, like a text box, and you want to get the text in it, you can access it from vba like this (assuming the form is named "this" and the text box is named "that").

dim keyword as string
keyword = Forms!this!that.text

Then you can use that to make an sql query. So to open a query showing all of the records with that keyword, you could do this:

docmd.openquery( "SELECT * INTO oldtable FROM newtable WHERE keyword = '" & keyword & "';")

Hope that helps.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Something is still not working right. I keep getting an error. Maybe I will see if I can get a book on this topic.

Unless you know any other ways.