• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Microsoft Excel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Let's say I've got the number 1,000 in cell A1, and the number 2,000 in A30. Cells A2 through A29 are blank. Is there an Excel function that will fill those empty cells, based on the values at both ends?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
yes

Select all the cells, then use Fill-Series... it will even give you an even steps

Go Edit - Fill - Series..

Queen B

Cyburbian
Isn't it really nice to just have a person answer the question so you can get on with what you need to do.
I always hate it when they answer... have you looked in the manual...

No and I am not going to. Ok just a little rant. I feel better now.

I am with Queen B: Michaelskis answer effectively killed the thread. Where is the room for CONVERSATION here? And why on earth would he be so genuinely helpful when his recent request for help (with his avatar) has gotten him nothing but humorous replies. :p

EDIT: Queen B, whenever my husband asks me if I looked in "the book", I ask with all the naivity that I can muster "There's a BOOK???" o:)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We can still talk about all the other things in these programs that no one seems to ever use, so when it comes time that we need it, we don't even know if the program will work the way we want...

michaelskis said:
We can still talk about all the other things in these programs that no one seems to ever use, so when it comes time that we need it, we don't even know if the program will work the way we want...
I am really not that proficient with Excel. I do make custom forms for the homeless shelter in Excel to automate their previously hand-done paperwork (mountains of it, every month -- since it is a not-for-profit) but I don't think I have any kind of "special" knowledge of the program. But I have enjoyed doing stuff with Power Point. Not necessarily "slide presentations", mind you... 8-! (especially not for an "in person" audience, but it does sometimes come in handy to communicate effectively via internet -- e-mail and webpages).

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
yes

Select all the cells, then use Fill-Series... it will even give you an even steps

Go Edit - Fill - Series..
Ahh.."Fill Series" - one of the greatest little-known features of the spreadsheet.

I used to have a large database in Microsoft Works in which I used the Fill Series all the time, but when I converted it to Access 97, that feature was no longer available. I had to physically create a Fill Series in an Excel file and then cut and paste it to Access. Pain in the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.