Mid career and I hate my job.

I had forgotten that I made the post above. I found it when I was trying to determine the last time I posted on Cyburbia.

Here is a short update: So I quit that old planner/department head life. In December of 2010 I gave my employer five months notice, moved, began law school, divorced my wife, and I started a GIS business while in law school. I structured the business so it eliminated the things I hated about being a planner and working with the public in general. In 2014 I passed the bar and now provide geospatial services to attorneys and businesses. I'm now what people call 'happy' and I control my destiny - completely. Along the way I dropped 40 lbs because my life didn't suck anymore. I also have REALLY enjoyed being single. Since 2010 my politics moved from being a skeptical moderate conservative to very skeptical libertarian.

So, here's my unsolicited advice: If your life sucks - do something about it.

While it took me 10 years, and about $500,000 to fix my life, I'd say it was worth it.
Thank you for the update.

Are you still in Kansas? Or did all these changes involve a geographic relocation as well? (I don't need specifics. I'm not looking for your home address.)

kjel

Super Moderator
I had forgotten that I made the post above. I found it when I was trying to determine the last time I posted on Cyburbia.

Here is a short update: So I quit that old planner/department head life. In December of 2010 I gave my employer five months notice, moved, began law school, divorced my wife, and I started a GIS business while in law school. I structured the business so it eliminated the things I hated about being a planner and working with the public in general. In 2014 I passed the bar and now provide geospatial services to attorneys and businesses. I'm now what people call 'happy' and I control my destiny - completely. Along the way I dropped 40 lbs because my life didn't suck anymore. I also have REALLY enjoyed being single. Since 2010 my politics moved from being a skeptical moderate conservative to very skeptical libertarian.

While it took me 10 years, and about $500,000 to fix my life, I'd say it was worth it.
Nice to see you check in eG. Glad to hear you are in a good space.

WOW... talk about super timely... although my relationship with my wife is super good right now.

As for politics, I am right there with you.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation

Sounds like a great move for you!

Are you doing any specialized work in election districting? There is huge money in that for local governments with single-member districts. We just transitioned partly to single-member districts, and I could not believe what we paid an attorney with a geospatial team to do it given how relatively simple it is.

So glad to hear that you're in a better place, el Guapo.

I also am doing much better, switched jobs less than a year from hire date, and love my new job (most days)! Just goes to show you -- today's problems are not permanent. They will look very different when you've made it to the other side!