• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Architecture Mid-century modern houses

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Cool. that's kind of the flavor of my current neighborhood, but not as fancy as that. But there is some great MCM stock (and more traditional mid-century homes). It's part of what drew me to the area.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
That's a pretty cool neighborhood for sure WSUMUP. The grass median strip - grass only -- is kind of disappointing, though.

I live in a MCM-era neighborhood, but there is only one MCM on my block and it's not very good, IMO. Mostly, the homes are ranch house variants with some split-levels coming in later. My house was built from a pattern-book plan (I still have the plans from Garlinghouse out of Topeka, KS) and you can see where there were MCM influences. Unfortunately, the original owners must not have liked them very much because they were left out of the finished product, notably a corner fireplace and chimney that look really cool in the plans. (If money were no object, I'd put that back in the house in a heartbeat.)