• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Architecture Mid-century modern houses

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Lately I've been running through some neighborhoods I've never really explored and when running through a typical suburban subdivision, I usually make an effort to eventually run out and back on every dead end and cul de sac. I was doing this yesterday morning through a really large neighborhood of '50s and '60s ranches. Most of the homes were pretty standard for this area, although quite a few had some sort of MCM flourish, then I turned down a very short cul de sac with 4 houses and 3 of them were real MCM gems.

Looking on Zillow, one of the houses was on the market a couple years ago and thankfully the pictures are still available. Here's a few standouts:

1593453900022.png

1593453853188.png

1593453930080.png

1593453974317.png

The three houses in question were built in '56 and '57, and looking at some old tax documents, I have a feeling they were all built/designed together by the same team. The three also all have detached garages which is sort of out of place in this neighborhood. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally had carports.

DVD

Cyburbian
I like going through the pictures and looking at design ideas. My house isn't MCM, but I think the furniture style would fit it.

A nice book about MCM buildings in my area. I think you can get you a better price then Amazon though. I think there is also a book about MCM homes and restoring them. I'd have to look, but I could find it if you want a copy.

A list of some buildings in the area:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
ISv8ica3eug4x50000000000.jpg

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This one probably isn't considered MCM (and looking at the tax information, it looks like it was actually built in the '80s) but it definitely caught my eye while I was out on a run this weekend.

It's on a very oddly shaped lot with a pretty steep slope and even though it's got about 3+ acres, much of it in the back is a pond and wetland. Still, it was a pretty cool house from the front:

F1.jpg

It's hard to see on Streetview, but the back of the house is just 3 or 4 stories of glass. Very cool looking:
F2.jpg

It doesn't appear that it's been on the market in years so unfortunately I cannot find any interior shots.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The front looks more like a school or something than a house.
That's what I thought too when I ran past that one (it actually looks very similar to our local community arts center).

On my run this morning I ran down a particular road I love: winding, hilly, and dirt in an otherwise built up area; plenty of large houses on large lots, a few of the houses are nice examples of MCM or MCM-inspired. Today there was a for sale sign at the end of a driveway. I couldn't see the house so of course I looked it up.

The tax information says it was built in '99 but it was designed by somebody from Yamasaki's firm, a couple of the bathrooms still look pretty 1950s or 1960s, and even comes with the quintessential 1950s feature - a bomb shelter! (Knowing how our county property tax records work, I have a feeling the '99 date was actually a big remodel/renovation.)

1597252456310.png

The house looks pretty cool (and it has some fantastic gardens!), but it's 5,000+ square feet and, like the previous house I posted, it definitely has a bit of an institutional feel to it, especially from the exterior. Maybe there's some sort of maximum size for MCM and once it gets above that point, the homes begin to get more strange and impersonal

1597252739383.png

Zillow used to have better (more recent?) pics of the interior of the house on Kinross but I think they got removed last time it sold and it somehow reverted to some of the older pics instead of having no pictures at all. And I actually really did the toy vehicle collection.
Actually, those are even newer pictures that I put up on https://www.zillow.com/homes/18050-Kinross-Ave-Beverly-Hills,-MI,-48025_rb/24584115_zpid The old pictures, from when we bought the house 4 years ago, are still up at https://www.trulia.com/p/mi/beverly-hills/18050-kinross-ave-beverly-hills-mi-48025--2325178315 I guess they're "better" in an early-90's ArtVan/Ikea stage-rental-furniture sense, but I like our crazy modern style better and am not into Facebook that much so Zillow is my only social media outlet. It gave me a warm-fuzzy to know that people notice the constantly updating Zillow non-listing ;-].

Wow that was weird! A couple days after I posted that link to the Trulia site with the old pictures they were taken down after being there for 5 years! And the new pictures I've been uploading to Zillow are now on Trulia as well if you search it for the address of the house! It's got to be because of my posting here on this forum!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Actually, those are even newer pictures that I put up on https://www.zillow.com/homes/18050-Kinross-Ave-Beverly-Hills,-MI,-48025_rb/24584115_zpid The old pictures, from when we bought the house 4 years ago, are still up at https://www.trulia.com/p/mi/beverly-hills/18050-kinross-ave-beverly-hills-mi-48025--2325178315 I guess they're "better" in an early-90's ArtVan/Ikea stage-rental-furniture sense, but I like our crazy modern style better and am not into Facebook that much so Zillow is my only social media outlet. It gave me a warm-fuzzy to know that people notice the constantly updating Zillow non-listing ;-].
Thank you for posting up the links to the newer photos. Still definitely one of my favorites in the area.

____

I was out on a run this weekend and ran down a street I had never been on in an already interesting neighborhood. The neighborhood was primarily developed with a bunch of random condominium (some attached and some detached) developments of all different architecture styles and sizes of homes. I would label the homes on this street as primarily international style (but that seems tangentially related to MCM) and from the exterior, it was a pretty cool sight. FWIW, there are a couple of homes from this street currently listed (like this one and this one) and the interiors are definitely not MCM, but it's still an interesting street.

1600696318907.png