• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Architecture Mid-century modern houses

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Lately I've been running through some neighborhoods I've never really explored and when running through a typical suburban subdivision, I usually make an effort to eventually run out and back on every dead end and cul de sac. I was doing this yesterday morning through a really large neighborhood of '50s and '60s ranches. Most of the homes were pretty standard for this area, although quite a few had some sort of MCM flourish, then I turned down a very short cul de sac with 4 houses and 3 of them were real MCM gems.

Looking on Zillow, one of the houses was on the market a couple years ago and thankfully the pictures are still available. Here's a few standouts:

1593453900022.png

1593453853188.png

1593453930080.png

1593453974317.png

The three houses in question were built in '56 and '57, and looking at some old tax documents, I have a feeling they were all built/designed together by the same team. The three also all have detached garages which is sort of out of place in this neighborhood. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally had carports.

DVD

Cyburbian
I like going through the pictures and looking at design ideas. My house isn't MCM, but I think the furniture style would fit it.

A nice book about MCM buildings in my area. I think you can get you a better price then Amazon though. I think there is also a book about MCM homes and restoring them. I'd have to look, but I could find it if you want a copy.

A list of some buildings in the area: