• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mike's Last Day

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Here's to Michaelski's last day. Enjoy this virtual fairwell party on your last 2 or 3 hours left. :b: Remember to yell "Plan This!" on your way out.

SGB

Cyburbian
Yea, Mike!

You made it! Now it's time to get out of the fying pan, and into the fire, eh? ;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Mike - On your way out the door, grab your crotch and yell: "I got your planner right here!!!!"

Good luck, drive careful.

donk

Cyburbian
Just remember that you are no longer a City employee and the cops may pull you over as you SPEED out of town.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike - dont burn any bridges. You never know where your career path - or those you burn - are going to cross again.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am going to miss some of the poor souls that I have had the opportunity to work with. All of the people *except one* who I do not get along with took the day off because of the Hurricane. For him, I told him that he would make a great financial advisor some day as he walked down the hall. He looked at me with a confused look, and leaned over to the person he was walking with and said, “but I am the Community Development Director, not Financial Director.

Once I get to the Kalamazoo area, I hope to meet several of the cyburbia residents who work in SW Michigan.

I also want to think everyone on here who has helped me with the Many questions and to those who have not only sympathized with my work environment, but also have informed me about new positions. I leaned about the Job in Portage because of a web site that was given to me by some one on here!!!

Ah… one hour left.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Im with Chet: Don't burn any bridges. Burning rubber, however, is prefectly acceptable.

Good luck in the new career.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, other than some one trying to steal my car in Pittsburgh, I made it to Kalamazoo with no problems. My sister and her room mates are in shock at how big the U-Haul is, and that I was able to back it with the trailer into the driveway and not hit anything. I start my new job on Wednesday!!! Still looking for a place to live.

I have to ask, what is with construction these days? Several sections of construction have been going on for more than a year, and it looks like there is no progress.

SGB

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Well, other than some one trying to steal my car in Pittsburgh......

Aw, come on. There has got to be a story to tell here!

Last edited:

Rem

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Well, other than some one trying to steal my car in Pittsburgh, .....shock at how big the U-Haul is....
That would have made for an interesting getaway. Another slow moving car chase for the evening news?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
michaelskis said:
My sister and her room mates are in shock at how big the U-Haul is, and that I was able to back it with the trailer into the driveway and not hit anything.

The sign of a RUGGED man.

biscuit

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Well, other than some one trying to steal my car in Pittsburgh, I

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that guy. I would have never tried that if I had known that was your car. My bad. ;)

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
michaelskis said:
Well, other than some one trying to steal my car in Pittsburgh, I made it to Kalamazoo with no problems. My sister and her room mates are in shock at how big the U-Haul is, and that I was able to back it with the trailer into the driveway and not hit anything. I start my new job on Wednesday!!! Still looking for a place to live.

I have to ask, what is with construction these days? Several sections of construction have been going on for more than a year, and it looks like there is no progress.

Welcome to Michigan! You'll love it here! Watch out for the Bronco Keggers at WMU and the unemployed masses of Pfizer, Inc.

Jen

Cyburbian
Welcome to the swamp!

I still consider the kalamazoo area as my first michigan home, I used to live in Plainwell, just north of the county line in ALlegan county. Follow old Division north or any of the roads besides US 131, and stop at Aries Cafe or the London Grill both owned by the same family. Great food, and beers on tap! Nice community on the Kalamazoo River.

Of course Bell's Brewery downtown Kzoo, and if you like to browse antiques visit The Emporium.

Kalamazoo had the first outdoor pedestrian mall installed in the nation in the fifties. I think it was reopened to traffic a few years back.

SOuth Haven and the saugatuck Douglas area is less that an hour away, Fennville has wines, and a uh unique culture of migrants, and fugitives, among others but a very authentic supermercado, that serves unbelievably good spicey big platters of mexican food at the back of the store. BYOB.

more later bye

H

Cyburbian
Yes, congrats on your new job and escaping your old one.

Best of luck and update us on the differences once you start!

:)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome to SW Michigan.

Glad you had a safe trip. In addition to the places Jen mentioned when you get settled in or heck before, check out Old Peninsula Brewery/Resturant, KraftBrau for German Style Lagers and good entertainment.

Some good non-smoking places are Ouzo's and O'Duffy's. Some good ole' down home dirty watering holes are the Green Top or the Corner Bar.

If you can find a place to live in the City of Kalamazoo support the urban core, you gotta do what you can, we're planners after all, avoid the burbs if you can.

That is where I live ( in Kalamazoo City), if your young or just like to go out you'll want to be close to downtown where all the bars and night life is and not have to worry about driving home to portage after a late night.

Get settled in and get ready to enjoy the lake effect snow which will be here soon enough.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Car Story

OK, here is the short of the Car story. I had my 2000 Impala LS on a U-Haul “auto transport” Trailer. About 8:30am or so (I left York at 5am), I stopped at the last rest area on the PA turn pike. I am talking to my GF on the phone, and I get a map out of my car. Well I go into use the rest room and grab something for breakfast. I am walking out, and I see two guys jump back into their motor home park next to my U-haul. They just about hit me as they drive past me.

I think nothing much of it. I get to my car, and the straps holding the car where off, and one of the drive ramps where pulled out. The car was still locked, and the safety chains where still connected. I was more than mad. From that point on, I would turn the car alarm on every time I stopped.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JoshD said:
Some good ole' down home dirty watering holes are the Green Top or the Corner Bar.

A while back when I was visiting my sister, we when to the corner bar for ribs... wow. Slide the bones out, and you have a plate of BBQ Meat. Life was good that night.

JoshD said:
If you can find a place to live in the City of Kalamazoo support the urban core, you gotta do what you can, we're planners after all, avoid the burbs if you can.
[/B]

I was thinking of living in Portage to support the live in the municipality that I work for cause. I would love to get a loft in downtown Kalamazoo. As it is, I plan on going to BW3's, Monaco Bay, and several other K-Zoo bars on a regular basis. But I would like to live in Portage.. (for now).