• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Military Accents

pete-rock

Cyburbian
We've all seen lots of military officials, active and retired, on TV lately. There's one thing I've noticed:

No matter where they're from, no matter their race or ethnicity, doesn't it seem they all speak with the same accent? The same kind of Midland accent that's vaguely southern, but not quite? Of course they would speak the same language -- there's lingo associated with every job and profession.

But does anyone else notice they all talk the same way?

My guess is that would be from years of the retired general being stuck in or around Washington and the big southern military bases.
Most former Generals were stationed in the south for a significant amount of their careers as that is where all of the military's command structure has its center.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Let's not forget airline pilots, who all seem to have the same accent. "Aaaand ... iiiiif youlookouttotheright, you'llllll see theGrandCanyon dahn below."

Also ... what's with Christane Amanpour's accent? She's from RHODE ISLAND. Why the stiff accent with British overtones? Sounds almost South African.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Let's not forget airline pilots, who all seem to have the same accent. "Aaaand ... iiiiif youlookouttotheright, you'llllll see theGrandCanyon dahn below."
You're right, Dan. And it's the same as the military accent to me. I think here's our answer:
Most former Generals were stationed in the south for a significant amount of their careers as that is where all of the military's command structure has its center.

el Guapo

Capitalist
pete-rock,
You are correct. The military has a common accent. It comes from a desire to emulate the successful; part of conforming to the greater command structure in order to advance in rank.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I still speak with my Marine Corps accent/vocabulary, someone actually commented on it the other day. I can't go 2 sentences without saying, f**k, sh*tload, or douchebag.

I'm being serious too....

Oh god, mike. you just made me choke on my triscuit. :) One christmas vacation home from college my brother turned to me at dinner and asked me to "hey, pass the f***ing butter."

pete-rock

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
pete-rock,
You are correct. The military has a common accent. It comes from a desire to emulate the successful; part of conforming to the greater command structure in order to advance in rank.
And it's reinforced by a strong active voice -- no one in the military ever says anything passively.

Even as I read your post, EG, I hear a voice similar to Gary Sinise as Capt. Dan in "Forrest Gump."

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
Also ... what's with Christane Amanpour's accent? She's from RHODE ISLAND. Why the stiff accent with British overtones? Sounds almost South African.
I thought she was of Iranian lineage and studied in england as a child.

el Guapo

Capitalist
pete-rock said:

And it's reinforced by a strong active voice -- no one in the military ever says anything passively.

Even as I read your post, EG, I hear a voice similar to Gary Sinise as Capt. Dan in "Forrest Gump."
Pete Rock - You're a Gawd Dammed Genuis. If it were not such a waste of a fine Cyburbian I'd send you to OCS. Over. ;)