• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Military ghost towns in USA

Hceux

Cyburbian
Just taking a break from working on an essay, I am wondering if there's a website out there in the cyberspace that have pictures of military bases that were abandoned for various reasons.

Here's one for Canadian military bases that were shut down after the Pinetree Line was replaced with a superior infrastructure that monitor the foreign warheads and etc during the Cold War: www.pinetreeline.org/locations.html (then click on a community of your choice and then click on photos at the bottom of the page to see pictures of that community). The one that I'm using for my essay is Foymount, ON.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
There are a bunch of urban exploration (UE) sites out there. Normally, they deal with such things as exploring old factories, college tunnel systems, and the like, but many cover abandoned Nike missile bases in the United States.

tsc

Cyburbian
Rome NY is pretty abandoned... check that out... huge airforce base... maybe you can google it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Theres a Federal Dept .... something like the Federal Lands Reuse Trust .....

They have been working with the abandoned bases in the Philly area.