• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mine approvals: assessment, conditions, etc

Ryan Darby

I am a planner from Western Australia currently completeing an Honours degree in Urban & Regional Planning. The topic I have chosen is land use & planning controls on mining and associated uses.

Currently in WA mine operators/companies are exempt from obtaining planning approval for the use of mining and associated activities. This causes land use conflicts where mines are established in close proximity to residential areas (e.g. blasting, 24 hour operations, traffic etc).

Is there any legislation that exists, either Federal, State or Local Government legislation, that places planning and landuse controls on mining?

Any information on how town planning can control mine operations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan

Tom R

Cyburbian
In Ohio mining is under the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). They have a web site. Search for Ohio Government. Good luck, mate.