• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mini Cooper

Runner

Cyburbian
The Mini Cooper dealer in San Antonio is finally open. Today Mrs. Runner and I went down to take a look and took one out for a test drive. Very very nice. We could even be tempted to trade in the Corolla on a Mini. It’s amazing that you can order one from the factory equipped as you like and it will arrive in 8 weeks! They are selling them for MSRP I don't know how that compares with other areas?? They had quite a colorful selection of them on the lot.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A friend of mine factory ordered his, and it was here in 7 weeks. Plus, you could follow its assembly and delivery status on the web. There was NO price negotiation on the dealer's part.

biscuit

Cyburbian
An employee for an outside contractor here just bought one 6 months ago (she had a waiting list of several months before her order would process) and loves the thing. I've never drivin one, because I am fairly tall and they seem just slightly too little to be comfortable on my part,but they must be great cars. I see a lot of them on the road here in Pittsburgh where they seem to be selling like gangbusters.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
I like the looks and performance specs of the mini, but I would also consider a MB C230 Kompressor. The base model is in line with the mini's price loaded and it is a bit quicker and has a larger interior. Only problem is that once you start adding options, the price ramps up pretty quick.

BKM

Cyburbian
To me, the Mini just says "cool design." After dozens of lookalike Japanese sedans (God, does reliable have to be so boring?), Its nice to see a car with some personality. I could never fit three dogs into it, so I'll keep my practical Subie, but ....

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
The Mini Cooper is probably our next car, but we just paid off a car loan, and I'd like to go without payments for at least a year.

Of course, my husband (Infamous European Car Collector) may have other ideas...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I've managed to convince the wife that a Mini will be our next car. I'm in the same boat as Mud Princess though in that I'd like to be able to drive our current vehicle for a while once it's paid off (August).

Runner

Cyburbian
We are in the same boat too. The Corolla will be paid off next month so it would be good to have no car payments for awhile.

Update: Just went on line and paid it off :) No more outstanding bills other than the house payment!

Last edited:

Jen

Cyburbian
THose cars are so very cool. Just this weekend was an alfa romeo event at Grattan, besides all the other nifty vehicles there, by far the cutest was a friends minicooper , he took it out and was going thru the esses at Grattan, very nimbley.
I love its retro interior -it'd be fun to have as a second car!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm looking down on a Mini in the parking lot that is red white and blue with a USA flag painted on the roof. On any other car it might be tacky, but it's cute on a Mini.

My boss recently purchased a Cooper S. It is "catch me if you can" red with a black roof. He is unable to contain his glee at owning one when you talk with him about it!

Runner

Cyburbian
We just went to see a screening of The Italian Job last night. It's a pretty cool movie with scenes of Minis racing through the streets, etc. To top it off it's rated PG so everyone should see it :)