• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mini Laefest in SW Michigan for those who are not going to Make it to Chicago….

What night would work?

  • Sunday Night

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Monday Night

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No Opinion, since I Live too far away.

    Votes: 9 60.0%

  • Total voters
    15
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
The FL laefest site reminded me… Does Sunday or Monday work better for a Mini SW Michigan Laefest in Kalamazoo? I was thinking of going to some places such as Bells, Monico Bay, Wayside, Corner Bar, and a few other cool places. Who can attend and what night would be better?

OH and these dates are June 13th or 14th
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
I would be travelling back from Cleveland to Milwaukee on that Monday, and might be convinced to swing north....
 

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Messages
1,037
Points
23
I'm always up for another laefest. Weekend-ish times are best, less chance of missing a hearing or meeting.
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
Either night would work for me. I guess if I'm gonna vote it will be MOnday since Chet may be able to stop by. I assume JNL will be in town during this time.

Given the fact this is a Laefest, I think it should be held at an establishment that revolves around drinking than other forms or entertainment (ie not Monico Bay or Wayside).

Corner Bar has I think 15 beers on tab and dozens and dozens of bottles, descent food and a dirty ole bar atmosphere and Bells is a Brew Pub, what better place for an Laefes than that, plus don't forget the Beer Garden will be in full effect.

Only down fall with Bells is the don't serve anything else but Bells Beer. For those who don't like Microbrews, you'll be drinking water :-c

Corner Bar or Bells get my vote over the other options mentioned.
 

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Messages
10,623
Points
34
PlannerByDay said:
Either night would work for me. I guess if I'm gonna vote it will be MOnday since Chet may be able to stop by.
Dont hang the shingle out because of me -- its just a maybe but thanks for the thought. :)
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
Chet said:
Dont hang the shingle out because of me -- its just a maybe but thanks for the thought. :)
NO, either night work for me, I just thought if there is a chance you could stop by Michaelskis could buy you a :b:

Right Michaelskis, your hosting the party ;-)
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
Chet said:
I would be travelling back from Cleveland to Milwaukee on that Monday, and might be convinced to swing north....
I think that would work for another Monday night vote, and yes... it Chet made it, I would by him a beer just because he is cool!
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
All this talk of laefests is getting me thirsty for a :b: , but I'm at work and it's just after 11:00... ;-)
 

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
3,194
Points
26
What time are we talking? On Sunday I will be heading back from Saginaw and could swing by on my way here, but I would have Josie. So, it will depend on where and what time.

Monday could also work.
 

JNL

Cyburbian
Messages
2,449
Points
25
PlannerByDay said:
I assume JNL will be in town during this time.
Yep. If it's Sunday, I'll probably sleep all day (after flying for most of Saturday: Wellington -> Auckland -> LA -> Chicago) and get michaelskis to wake me up in time to start drinking :-D :b: B-)

Either day is okay with me.
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
26
I prefer SUnday and the brew garden, I checked the web site doesn't seem to be any entertainment on the books then. Really anyplace would be fine.

Yo Dan might ye be coming?
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
28,693
Points
71
michaelskis said:
Your at Bells every monday....

There is no reason that it has to be limited to one place!
That doesn't make it any less attractive, though. It IS a smoke free environment and they DO serve ale last I knew.... :-D
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
What about O' Duffy's? PBD introduced me to that bar, and it is a great place... Smoke free and conducive to positive interaction... AKA (they have beer, and light music)
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
michaelskis said:
What about O' Duffy's? PBD introduced me to that bar, and it is a great place... Smoke free and conducive to positive interaction... AKA (they have beer, and light music)
I THINK they are closed on Sunday and I KNOW they are closed on Monday.
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
PlannerByDay said:
I THINK they are closed on Sunday and I KNOW they are closed on Monday.
|-) I think that bars should be more accommodating at times. On Friday I went out with a friend to O' Duffy's and I was thinking that it would be a perfect place... then we went to Bells and well, it was hippie village night or something. There seemed to be three hairstyles for guys... Longer with nothing done, buzz cut short, or dreadlocks. I was dressed up a little bit and was severely overdressed. It was fun though.

I am thinking Monday will work for most people... It does not need to be a full night thing, but a chance to get together for a few beers and to meet up... 7pm at Bells, and Maister can meet up with us after he gets done with the ZBA meeting...

Will this work for those who would like to attend?
?
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
michaelskis said:
|-) I am thinking Monday will work for most people... It does not need to be a full night thing, but a chance to get together for a few beers and to meet up... 7pm at Bells, and Maister can meet up with us after he gets done with the ZBA meeting...

Will this work for those who would like to attend?
?
I've got it down in my PDA. I'll be there.

And I'll try to get the future Ms. PBD to attend. She hears all about you folks so I'm sure she would be interested in seeing who my "imaginative friends" are.

See you at 7:00 on June 14th at Bell's
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
26
Kalamazoo tour anyone?

So that would work I suppose... Anyone want to meet earlier and wander about the area, there are a couple shops(architectural salvage and antique warehouse) that I'd like to check out and the rose street market place..

Also JNL,michealskis whomever is Toronto bound the following weekend, My place in Grattan, Kent County Michigan is on the way (I-96)to Port Huron to cross Lake Huron on your way to the Toronto laefest it puts you right on the 401.

Open invitation: please stop in cyburbanites!!
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
Jen said:
So that would work I suppose... Anyone want to meet earlier and wander about the area, there are a couple shops(architectural salvage and antique warehouse) that I'd like to check out and the rose street market place..

Also JNL,michealskis whomever is Toronto bound the following weekend, My place in Grattan, Kent County Michigan is on the way (I-96)to Port Huron to cross Lake Huron on your way to the Toronto laefest it puts you right on the 401.

Open invitation: please stop in cyburbanites!!

I have a few days off, so I am up for it... if you want, I will PM you my cell number and we all can meet downtown for lunch, and just stay downtown till we meet up at Bells.

As for Toronto, I do not think that I will be able to make it, but I know that JNL will be attending. I believe Cardinal offered to drive with her there...
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
RichmondJake said:
All this talk of laefests is getting me thirsty for a :b: , but I'm at work and it's just after 11:00... ;-)
Hear hear!

I am Always™ (gotta love Wal*Mart) game for a good beer (and a plus if the place plays NTN trivia. :) )

BTW, has a date/time/place been set yet for the Chicago one? I live about 3.5 hours drive time from there and can easily make it, regardless of the day, if I have a week or two notice.

Mike
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,313
Points
44
PlannerByDay said:
I've got it down in my PDA. I'll be there.

And I'll try to get the future Ms. PBD to attend. She hears all about you folks so I'm sure she would be interested in seeing who my "imaginative friends" are.

See you at 7:00 on June 14th at Bell's
If this weren't so far north of my intended route to the south, I'd be here. Sorry.
 

JNL

Cyburbian
Messages
2,449
Points
25
Jen said:
Also JNL,michealskis whomever is Toronto bound the following weekend, My place in Grattan, Kent County Michigan is on the way (I-96)to Port Huron to cross Lake Huron on your way to the Toronto laefest it puts you right on the 401.

Open invitation: please stop in cyburbanites!!
Yay :) Would you be able to PM me your address? I know you already did a while back but I think I accidentally deleted it.
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
Confirming SW MI Laefest

I was just wandering through my PDA and noticed the SW Michigan Laefest is planned for this coming monday June 14th at 7:00 at Bells Brewery in downtown Kalamazoo.

Is this still on? Just want to confirm this.

Looking forward to meeting and remeeting those fo you who can attend.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
28,693
Points
71
I have an idea. Since Maister is stuck with the Zoning Board at 7:00 on 6/14, how about everyone meet first at the meeting (should only be about 45 min - hour) and all the planners sitting in the audience could make lots of public comments haranguing the applicants and being extremely pro-administration for a change...."my god, staff recommendations on this matter are simply brilliant... I have never seen a situation where conflicting land use screening was more appropriately proposed..... I have seen some lame variance requests in my day but this one takes the cake.....Sir, can I have your autograph..... Whatever you're getting paid its not enough....." you know, the usual sorts of comments that one wishes they could hear.
Then we would truly have a reason to go drinking at Bell's....
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
Maister said:
I have an idea. Since Maister is stuck with the Zoning Board at 7:00 on 6/14, how about everyone meet first at the meeting (should only be about 45 min - hour) and all the planners sitting in the audience could make lots of public comments haranguing the applicants and being extremely pro-administration for a change...."my god, staff recommendations on this matter are simply brilliant... I have never seen a situation where conflicting land use screening was more appropriately proposed..... I have seen some lame variance requests in my day but this one takes the cake.....Sir, can I have your autograph..... Whatever you're getting paid its not enough....." you know, the usual sorts of comments that one wishes they could hear.
Then we would truly have a reason to go drinking at Bell's....
Are you on Crack? Although if we are spread out in the audience, and we see something that is inconsistent with most zoning law. I will leave this one up to everyone else.
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
Maister said:
I have an idea. Since Maister is stuck with the Zoning Board at 7:00 on 6/14, how about everyone meet first at the meeting (should only be about 45 min - hour) and all the planners sitting in the audience could make lots of public comments haranguing the applicants and being extremely pro-administration for a change...."my god, staff recommendations on this matter are simply brilliant... I have never seen a situation where conflicting land use screening was more appropriately proposed..... I have seen some lame variance requests in my day but this one takes the cake.....Sir, can I have your autograph..... Whatever you're getting paid its not enough....." you know, the usual sorts of comments that one wishes they could hear.
Then we would truly have a reason to go drinking at Bell's....
UMMMMM let me think about this.............HMMMMM..................................................NO

Unless of course the first round is on you!
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
28,693
Points
71
PlannerByDay said:
UMMMMM let me think about this.............HMMMMM..................................................NO

Unless of course the first round is on you!
well it was worth a shot anyways.... :-c (and by 'shot' I mean attempt not 1 oz. of liquor on me, you leeches!!! ;-) )
 

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Messages
3,194
Points
26
I won't be able to make it now. I have a City Council meeting, and have three things on the agenda.

Have a beer (or two, or three, or four) for me!
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
SW MI Planner said:
I won't be able to make it now. I have a City Council meeting, and have three things on the agenda.

Have a beer (or two, or three, or four) for me!
Who can make it out for a beer on Sunday???
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
28,693
Points
71
michaelskis said:
Who can make it out for a beer on Sunday???
Not on Sunday, but can make it there after the ZBA meeting Mon. night.
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,902
Points
57
off-topic question:

Maister and Michealskis - why the hell are you two conversing on Cyburbia? Aren't you two in, like, the same cube? ;-) :-D
 
Last edited:

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
Messages
3,214
Points
29
Yeah, I always though they could communicate telepathically with those headsets and stuff. Screw the internet! I'd take telepathy anyday!

 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
mendelman said:
off-topic question:

Maister and Michealskis - why the hell are you to conversing on Cyburbia? Aren't you two in, like, the same cube? ;-) :-D
Because I got yelled at for writing notes, folding them like little paper foot balls, and shooting them over the cubicle wall.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
28,693
Points
71
mendelman said:
off-topic question:

Maister and Michealskis - why the hell are you to conversing on Cyburbia? Aren't you two in, like, the same cube? ;-) :-D
Let me ask you this - if you went to the zoo would you rather walk into the lion's den with an armload of raw meat or would rather pass it through the bars. Trust me the 'barrier' is in everyone's best interests. Besides, he looks much better in cyberspace than in reality.
 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,902
Points
57
soooooo..........who's the killer lion in this relationship????
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
mendelman said:
soooooo..........who's the killer lion in this relationship????
I would like to remind the audience that the man on the other side of the 5’ fabric covered wall was voted (by several) to be the most likely to go postal. When I hear the squeak from the chair rocking back and forth, I start to move my chair away incase I need to get under by desk.


Maister said:
Besides, he looks much better in cyberspace than in reality.
...that is not what your mom said last night.

[back on topic] If you are avalible on Sunday night PM me, other wise we are still on for Monday night Bells @ 7pm
 

Jen

Cyburbian
Messages
1,704
Points
26
Aw shucks, I can't make it either anymore, we have an appointment that night and we'd get down to K'zoo too late, It's about an hour drive or so from here. Sunday nite would've been better. IS that still a possibility? Hate to bail on ya Jen but maybe you and Card can still swing by later? How long are you going to be in K'zoo for anyway?
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
Jen said:
Aw shucks, I can't make it either anymore, we have an appointment that night and we'd get down to K'zoo too late, It's about an hour drive or so from here. Sunday nite would've been better. IS that still a possibility? Hate to bail on ya Jen but maybe you and Card can still swing by later? How long are you going to be in K'zoo for anyway?
If you can make it into town on Sunday Night, I think that Monico Bay could be a good possiblity.
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
24
Just wondering if this laefest is canceled since our special guest is still on the otherside of the world??
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
20,174
Points
51
PlannerByDay said:
Just wondering if this laefest is canceled since our special guest is still on the otherside of the world??
Maister and I just talked about that, and we realized that they are still going to have beer there... Lets say 8pm at Bells (push back an hour so Maister can play Zoning Dictator.
 
Top