• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mini Storage Density?

hankjoe

I read some past info on mini-storage and may have overlooked the answer to my question.
Our City Council (not with the approval of the Planning Office) is in the process of including Mini-storage facilities in RU1 districts. I've seen some really good requirements listed in the "list", however I don't believe I've seen a limitation on the numbers of these facilities for instance within an acre. Is there a limit in some of your cities or isn't there as far as how many in one space can be put.
I understand most often these facilities are in M1 industrial type settings. Anyone else have them with their RU1 districts?

SGB

Cyburbian
What uses are currently allowed - by right or special permit - in you RU1 district?

The One

Cyburbian
Mini-Storage

We don't have a requirement like that.....

But on the same note, several years ago, an industry rep. for mini storage facilities told me that the market saturation point is 3 square feet per person in the community.....(at the time our community had 20,000 people, but only about 40,000sf of mini-storage....hence their interest in us...) Who know's if this is still true....or ever was....?

hankjoe

SGB said:
What uses are currently allowed - by right or special permit - in you RU1 district?
From my understanding this was intended to be residential & at present there are newer large homes on large lots within this RU 1 district which is on the outskirts of town. Orginially farms and open fields. There are still farms within this area.And, small acreages. Certain uses may be included under special permit. Some are--- cemetery &/or mausoleum (which several people who are infavor of the mini-storage complex quote this saying they feel that a storage complex would be better than a pet cemetery.parking lots, electric & gas substations, club, baseball park, etc.

As it stands now the only restriction this mini-storage complex would have is a 50 foot buffer of grass to be maintained within the property line. Side yards have to be 50 feet. And side & rear yards have to have fencing to screen uses from adjacent properties. And, the buildings can't be higher than 16 feet. It seems pretty open as far as requirements. I guess it can be a mile long and as many storage garages as you can squeeze into the area?

donk

Cyburbian
hankjoe said:
I guess it can be a mile long and as many storage garages as you can squeeze into the area?
Don't forget to double check your parking requirements, probably based on a per square foot value vs usage value then combine that with maximum non permeable surface area/ratio requirements, maximum lot coverage ratios, Building Code requirments(length of a building with unrestricted openings comes to mind), Fire Code requirements and the minimum separation distances between buildings and you'll have a defacto maximum number of storage units a parcel of land can hold.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
donk said:
Don't forget to double check your parking requirements, probably based on a per square foot value vs usage value then combine that with maximum non permeable surface area/ratio requirements, maximum lot coverage ratios, Building Code requirments(length of a building with unrestricted openings comes to mind), Fire Code requirements and the minimum separation distances between buildings and you'll have a defacto maximum number of storage units a parcel of land can hold.
You beat me to the punch, donk. Also, factor in minimum setbacks and landscaping requirements. There's your land use intensity.

hankjoe

RichmondJake said:
You beat me to the punch, donk. Also, factor in minimum setbacks and landscaping requirements. There's your land use intensity.
I'll check about the fire code. But, the code requirements to include mini-storage units within a special use category for RU1 is basically as I stated above - the 50 side yard - there's been nothing included about road width, etc. as you can tell it's very very basic. This was written by a city council member as opposed to any imput by the planning department.

H

Cyburbian
50% FAR seems to be common (and working).

It is hard to limit # per acre becuase the units are different sizes, but FAR works.

Additionally, they work well with residential (when buffered) becuase people seem to need extra room for their materials.

One good req. you might want to consider is NO electricity or plumbing to any of the units, so they dont turn into shops, offices, or daddy's playhouse. :)