• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mini Storage

Glomer

Mini Storage: I absolutely hate these things......what I want to know is what the typical width you would allow between structures (driving aisles).

The 11 mini-storage structures that i'm looking at are only 15' in depth, 30' total (not even big enough to put a car in......just a few dead bodies for a meth lab.) and have a drive aisle width of 22 feet between them.

the developer also asked me if it would be ok to put a # (as in a number of a phone # 651 543 ....) on each door that faces the highway. HA HA HA HA

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I wouldn't even permit mini-storage with doors that are visible from the public right-of-way. Wish I had that zoning code I wrote here; mini-storage aisle width is addressed.

Well, lookie here ... it's PAS Report 396, Standards for Self-Storage Storage Facilities. Let's see what that says ...

Colorado Springs, Colorado: minimum aisle width: 24', 20' if doors are only on one side of the aisle.

Topeka, Kansas: 28'

Costa Mesa, California: 30', 26' if doors are only on one side of the aisle.

The owner probably wants narrow aisles to squeeze in more units, and increase his/her revenue. Mini-storage, though, is pretty much a license to print money; there's very little overhead, improvement costs are minimal (even wen strict architectural regulations apply; there's very few interior improvements), and rents are high. The ROI on mini-storage is incredible, especially in metro areas where houses are normally built without basements.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
These things are certainly beautiful additions to any community, especially when accompanied by a gravel lot and drives, outside storage, truck rentals, no landscaping, and a eye-catching beige/orange color scheme.

I would not accept a 22' width for the drives. Remember that the people who are going to rent these things are often getting the stuff there in a rental truck that they are usually not capable of driving well. That lane width is as wide as the truck is long.