• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Minimum Commercial / Industrial Standards

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I’ve been asked to investigate whether other cities or states have “minimum commercial and/or industrial regulations” which would regulate such structures above and beyond fire and building codes, and business licensing. We have Minimum Housing Requirements which aim to prevent sub-standard living conditions but we are often at a loss when it comes to slum-lord types keeping non-residential properties in disrepair. Are there any examples out there?

donk

Cyburbian
I know Ontario has an amended, stricter building code, as does Vancouver BC.

We regulate "bad buildings" and "slumlords" through a dangerous and unsightly premises by-law. It is empowered through Section 190 of our Municipalities Act .

Our by-law basically is section 190 of the Municipalities Act.

I know that Saint John is really strict on their use of this section and demolishes multiple buildings each year and then sues the land owner for expenses.

Hope this helps.