• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Minimum Housing Enforcement

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Within your community, which staff or agency is responsible of minimum housing enforcement. This would include things like unsafe or unhealthy conditions, mold, inadequate HVAC and similar trades, or even structural defects. Do you handle it as part of code enforcement or is it more building code enforcement, or maybe even health and human services.

DVD

Cyburbian
We have a Neighborhood Services department that does code enforcement, housing, landlord/tenant stuff, etc.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
We have code enforcement that is part of my Planning Division, but for things like you've described we would enlist the Building Division to help. We have a monthly collaboration meeting where Building has a representative, so it works kind of like a committee, without anything official.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
We do proactive exterior property maintenance enforcement throughout the City, but only do interior when there for other permitting reasons or are invited in.

These functions are part of the Building Division of the Community Development Department of which I am the Dept head.

Last edited:

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
My department encompasses both the Building and Code Enforcement Divisions within Planning so it's often a tenant complaint (which can come to any of us but often starts with Code Enforcement), then CE and a Building Inspector generally go out to the home together for a Building inspection.

I ditto what Mendelman said -- we only do interior when there for other permitting reasons or are invited in. In another municipality, we had monthly rental inspections and that was done through Code Enforcement who would call Building to assist if needed.

**Incidentally, A/C is not a minimum standard according to ICC or the State of Georgia and my municipality hasn't adopted any language about it either. Tenants often get angry with us but the Code says -- you must have heat; it makes no mention of A/C. You do, OTOH, need a window that will open in every room so we also check that when doing this type of inspection. Also my municipality requires screens on all doors and windows which helps a little if people don't have A/C.