• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mini's

What mini is best?

• Old Mini

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • New Mini

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

donk

Cyburbian
As inspired by the comments about the mini.

What do you prefer?

1) Old mini

2) New Mini

3) Neither

My boss recently bought a new Mini Cooper S. He can barely contain his glee at owning it. According to him, you don't have to slow down around corners and curves.

Vroom! Vroom!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Tough call! We saw both old & new Minis in The Italian Job last weekend. Very cool. My husband is just waiting for my OK to buy one...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'd rather push my 4x4 full-sized pick-up across town than have one of those.

martini

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
They're neat little cars, but I need to be able to bring home more than 1 bag of groceries at a time...
They're actually quite roomy. I'm 6-5 and can fit in one with room to spare(both head and legs). Might even be able to get another small adult in the back seat! I lust after one as well, but am pulling more for the Lancer Evolution. Its a bit taller and easier to get in and out of for my lanky ass.

yeah its boy racerish-but its got four doors and can haul a kid or two PLUS groceries(at least that the argument I'l use with my wife!).

Runner

Cyburbian
If we were in the market for a new car a Mini would probably be our pick. Either that or a Civic Hybrid. But at just over 20K miles Mrs. Runner's Corolla should be good for at least another 180K miles, which equates to about 18 more years...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
New Mini. Consider the engineering by BMW, modern amenities, and a price tag that, adjusted for inflation, probably isn't that much more than an old Mini.

Old Mini ... well, I've got two words for you. Lucas Electrics.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Lucas=POS. I remember seeing T-Shirts for sale in my Land Rover parts catalogs that said "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" across the front. I thought it was pretty funny and dead on.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
The Italian Job really glorified those Mini's quite a bit. I'd buy one, if I needed a new car...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. old firefighter/emt in me asks
what is the crash survivability in such small car?

2. how comfortable are they for a road trip?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
2. how comfortable are they for a road trip?
I can offer a comment on this one. I rented a Cavalier for a week in Washington/Oregon earlier this year, and probably put over 1000 miles on it. I hated it. It was uncomfortable. I always felt cramped. There was not enough leg room (and I'm average height - 5'11"), and my head kept brushing the ceiling. My back would start to bother me after about two hours behind the wheel. That is generally my experience with small cars. Sorry, but I don't believe the Mini would be much different.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
Having a car with Lucas electrics reminds me of my favorite marketing come-back from the firm:

"A gentleman never motors after dark"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Sorry, but I don't believe the Mini would be much different.
A friend of mine works for GMR marketing and he and a group of co-workers had to drive a half dozen of them around the country all made up in corporate logos. He says front seat driver / passenger is amazingly well done. Back seat is only there for insurance purposes (2 seaters are sports car rate).

Habanero

Cyburbian
martini said:
They're actually quite roomy. I'm 6-5 and can fit in one with room to spare(both head and legs). Might even be able to get another small adult in the back seat! I lust after one as well, but am pulling more for the Lancer Evolution. Its a bit taller and easier to get in and out of for my lanky ass.

yeah its boy racerish-but its got four doors and can haul a kid or two PLUS groceries(at least that the argument I'l use with my wife!).
are you sure you don't look like this?
;)

I like the old mini myself, although I'd never buy one. May as well put a bullseye on the car and pray the tic-tac holds up when someone inevitably runs a red light.

Tom R

Cyburbian
minis

I like minis if they're at least four inches above the knees.

Runner

Cyburbian
My boss just picked up his new Mini today (red w/white top). He brought it to work to show it off. Very nice! Not comparable to a Cavalier.