• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mobile, Modular, & PreFab Homes???

Vlaude

Cyburbian
I'm a little behind the curve on the definitions and jargon.

A local non-profit wants to bring in (what I'd call) a mobile home, that is in two pieces. They propose to put the home on blocks with skirting. (all infill housing must be on a permanent foundation/stemwall - no skirting) That is after they demo a house on the lot (the house is beyond rehab!). The lot is surrounded by industrial type uses.

What are the major differences between Modular Homes, PreFab, Mobile?

I've thought about using an overlay district in conjunction with a special use permit so that in specific areas such as this such homes could be an option. I don't want to end up with a neighborhood of infill mobile/prefab housing...
My understanding it is hard to regulate Modular homes, other than by architectural standards?

Any suggestion on where I could get up to snuff here?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My own definition would be that a mobile home is one that is designed to be moved, whether it is one piece on wheels, or two or more pieces that can be easily dis-assembled and trucked away. A modular home is more premanent in nature, and consists of segments built off-site and assembled on-site. No doubt, industry experts will refine my simple understanding.

I would be very hesitant to allow any home to go in without a permanent foundation, even to meet the affordability goals of this group. It will impact on present/future uses around it. If there is more residential, it can set a bad tone for the neighborhood. If so many of the surrounding uses a re commercial or industrial, is this really a good place for a lone residential use?

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Item A is directly from our state statutes. Many other places have many more architectural restrictions. Do not allow a unit into a single family district without a foundation.

A. Residential Design Manufactured Housing. A manufactured housing unit with running gear, tongue, axles, and wheels removed, at least 22 feet wide installed on a permanent foundation or permanent curtain wall, with pitched roof and siding and roof materials customarily found on site-built housing, shall be considered a single family dwelling for all zoning purposes. Residential design manufactured housing units shall comply with and shall bear a label of compliance with the National Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act, which became effective June 15, 1976.
B. Modular Housing. A modular housing unit is prefabricated and hauled to a site in one or more modules which is not designed to be transported on its own chassis. When installed on a site with a permanent foundation, with a pitched roof and siding and roof materials customarily found on site-built housing, a modular housing unit shall be considered a single family dwelling for all zoning purposes.
C. Manufactured Housing. A housing unit prefabricated and constructed to be transported on its own chassis and designed without a permanent foundation, or two such units subsequently connected, is permitted in Dodge City as a dwelling unit when installed in a manufactured housing park or manufactured housing subdivision (both of which require a Special Exception Permit from the Board of Zoning Appeals—see Article XII.3.S&T). Manufactured housing units may replace other such units and nonconforming mobile homes as permitted under Article III, Nonconforming Situations. Manufactured housing units shall comply with and shall bear a label of compliance with the National Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act, which became effective June 15, 1976.
D.Mobile Homes. A mobile home is a transportable factory-built structure designed to be used as a permanent residential dwelling, constructed prior to enactment of the National Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act, which became effective June 15, 1976. Mobile homes are allowed in Dodge City only as nonconforming uses—see Article III, Nonconforming Situations.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
So Michael, you are suggesting that any home built on a chassis is considered a mobile home? Even if it is constructed in multiple pieces and assembled on a permanent foundation with a stemwall??? Just curious...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Vlaude said:
So Michael, you are suggesting that any home built on a chassis is considered a mobile home? Even if it is constructed in multiple pieces and assembled on a permanent foundation with a stemwall??? Just curious...
I like Mike Gurnee's definitions. The roofing, siding, and other requirements help to get beyond the "trailer" look.

donk

Cyburbian
Here are our definitions, massaged from Lehman's, our Building code and some industry standards in our area. We have ended up in court and these definitions stood up.

Dwelling, Mini Home means any dwelling other than a mobile home that is manufactured and designed to be transported as one integral unit. A mini home is a minimum of 4.27 metres
and a maximum of 5.0 metres wide (excluding eaves), a maximum of 21.9 metres in length and a maximum of 4.4 metres in height.

Dwelling, Mobile Home means a manufactured, moveable or portable dwelling unit constructed to be towed to its appropriate site on its own chassis, connected to utilities and designed for year-round living. It may consist of one or more parts that can be folded, collapsed or telescoped for towing to the appropriate site and expanded later for additional cubic capacity to be jointed into one integral unit. The mobile home must contain sleeping accommodation, a flush toilet, a tub or shower, bath and kitchen facilities, with plumbing and electrical connections
provided for attachment to outside systems and have a floor space not less than 45 square metres and a width not less than 3.65 metres and not more than 4.26 metres.

Dwelling, Modular means any dwelling that is designed in more than one (1) unit and is designed to be made mobile on a temporary basis and constructed or manufactured to provide a
permanent residence for one or more persons, but does not include a dwelling - mini home or dwelling - mobile home as defined herein.