• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Monday 3/1/04 4pm question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s question comes on the heels of a very boring weekend. Because I was not feeling all that great, I decided to rent a few movies… and I was unbelievably disappointed in the quality of the plot lines for several of these movies.

So that raises the question of:

What was the best movie you have ever watched?

Floridays

Cyburbian
It's difficult to narrow it to one, but "The Shawshank Redemption" has to be one of my all time faves. I watch it EVERY time it's on cable.... :-$

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I don't know what the best movie I've ever seen is. There's been plenty of good ones and horrible ones.

Best ones I've seen so far (in no particular order):

1. Taxi Driver
2. Fargo
3. Repo Man
4. Kung Pow: Enter the Fists
5. Seven

The list changes continuously.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
"Local Hero" has been my favorite from the first time I saw it. Watched it again this weekend :-D Mrs. Gedunker made me watch it on the kids tv -- she's, shall we say, a little tired of it |-)

Floridays said:
It's difficult to narrow it to one, but "The Shawshank Redemption" has to be one of my all time faves. I watch it EVERY time it's on cable.... :-$
Hee! And I compulsivel watch "She's All That" every time its on!

Seriously though - here are a few of the movies that I have seen more than 20 times:
The Muppet Movie
Moulin Rouge
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Princess Bride
A Christmas Story
The Sound of Music

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My faves:

Godfather (1 and 2)
Goodfellas
Princess Bride
Animal House
Caddyshack
Empire Strikes Back
Strange Brew ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I mostly go for the classics. Here are a few favorites:

True Grit
Stagecoach
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Casablanca
Blazing Saddles
Showgirls
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Saving Private Ryan

Budgie

Cyburbian
The Great Escape
A Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
Do Tha' Right Thing
Excaliber
Flash Gordon (in a quirky spoofy sort of way, plus Max Von Snydow)
Conan the Barbarian

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Rather than resorting to the usual greats (Star Wars, Godfather, Gone w/ the Wind, etc.) which I'm sure you've all seen....I would like to suggest one of the best movies you may NOT have seen and that is "The Quiet Earth". I believe it was another Kiwi flick (pre-LOTR, though) circa 1986. The sci-fi plot was that there was this guy who wakes up one morning and finds that he appears to be the only human left on earth. Follows all the different psychological stages the character (Zach Hobson) goes through as he realizes how alone he really is.
Any NZ'ers (or others) seen the one I'm talking about?

JNL

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Princess Bride
A Christmas Story
The Sound of Music
Classics! :)

It's hard to pick "the best" but one of my favs is Gattaca.

Maister - I have not seen 'The Quiet Earth' but it sounds good!

otterpop

Cyburbian
1) The Searchers
2) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
3) M*A*S*H
4) Altered States (but you gotta be stoned)
5) Destry Rides Again.

Dragon

Cyburbian
The Power of One
Castaway
Baseketball (it's twisted, but funny)
American Beauty
Happy Gilmore
Saving Private Ryan

I know I'm all over the board here in movie genre, but there are many good movies out there. These are the ones I had to add to the list.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The Return of the Jedi
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Dr. Stranglove or How I learned to love the bomb.....etc.
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
LOTR - FOTR, TTT, ROTK

Rem

Cyburbian
There are so many;

Babe
Pulp Fiction
Ferris Beuller's Day Off
Austen Powers (x3)
Muriel's Wedding
Local Hero
Bringing Up Baby
Philadelphia Story
The African Queen
The Blues Brothers
Casablanca

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The ones I can watch over and over again and never be bored?:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Toy Story
Gone With the Wind
Star Wars
Shrek
Young Frankenstein
The Sound of Music
Miracle on 34th Street (original)

BKM

Cyburbian
Pretty difficult question, but here is my (pretty weird) list:

1. Doctor Zhivago-it brings tears to my eyes.
2. Once Upon a Time in the West (Awesome, awesome movie).
3. High Plains Drifter (Paint the Town Red!)
4. Bladerunner (I have the narration-free Director's Cut) Phillip K. Dick rules!
5. Hellraiser II "We have centuries to learn what makes you wimper"
6. The Seventh Seal-slow as hell, in black and white, in Swedish, but something about the movie makes me shiver.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I like many of already listed movies.

How about -
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
A River Runs Through It

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Plenty of the movies listed already...

Paint Your Wagon (Lee Marvin sings?? wtf?)
Repo Man
Caddyshack
Tin Cup
Pulp Fiction
The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming (filmed in my hometown)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just because it seems like everyone is thinking the same movies... I think that I am going to have to change it up a bit... what was the one movie that made you want to be a better person, or one that had an overwelming emotional or mental impact on you???

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
one that had an overwelming emotional or mental impact on you???
Once Were Warriors - movie about a contemporary Maori family in urban NZ. I don't usually cry in movies but this was an exception as I found it deeply disturbing. Particularly the domestic violence and gang violence. But what was shocking was that it could be the true story of so many families. Made me realise I have lived a privileged life, growing up in a loving family, without violence, and with so many options for my future. No other movie has shaken me up like that one.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
AS many good ones are listed definitely ' A Few Good Men' can be added.

A few days back I chanced to see 'Autumn in New York'. I think its a good movie.

And how about 'Amistad', 'Gangs of New York' and many more I cant remember right now.

Maybe later...

PS
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Indiana Jones, the whole series is very exciting still.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Favourite Topic

'One Fine Day', 'You've Got Mail' and 'As Good as it Gets' are excellently made love stories.
And 'Castaway'!!

michaelskis said:
what was the one movie that made you want to be a better person, or one that had an overwelming emotional or mental impact on you???
Schindler's List - I cried for nearly 3 straight hours after that movie
Rabbit Proof Fence - I couldn't stop thinking about this movie for a couple days afterward

I almost always hate watching movies that make me sad and cry, but when Rob and I were trying to conceive and having so many problems, I watched Moulin Rouge several times a week, just for the emotional catharsis of sobbing through the end of it. I always felt so much better afterwards.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Has anyone seen "The Passion of the Christ"? If so, what was your reaction? If not, do you plan to see it? I've spoken to a few people who saw it, and their interpretations of it vary so much...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Movie that Personally Effected Me

Im Westen Nichts Neues
All Quiet on the Western Front

The epic silent and the Hallmark Hall of Fame versions, both.

I collect the books and have been seeking the follow-up to All Quiet, the title Three Comrades (Drei Kameraten), which loosely follows Paul Baumer's unit back to post-Great War Germany and the many difficulties the war imposed on Germany. Remarque shows how the retribution the allies placed on Germany sowed the seeds for the rise in nazism.

Floridays said:
Has anyone seen "The Passion of the Christ"? If so, what was your reaction? If not, do you plan to see it? I've spoken to a few people who saw it, and their interpretations of it vary so much...
I think I would be completely traumatized by this movie - I could barely tolerate the torture scene in Braveheart - let alone an entire movie about crucifixion. I get very upset when I hear reports of parents bringing small children to this movie.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
What about that lady in Kansas who had a heart attack while watching it?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Floridays said:

I have not seen it... but I will, and I know several people who have, and they all loved it, and thought that it was a truly powerful experence.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Top ten movies that I thought where emotional…

What Dreams May Come (Deep)
The Devils Advocate (still scares the hell out of me)
Bicentennial Man (Great movie, made me think about what is life)
A.I. (Messed up my head for a week and a half)
American President

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
In no particular order.....

Godfather I & II
Deer Hunter (Many scenes filmed just west of dt Cleveland)
Animal House (Belushi....priceless.....let's do it!)
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World (I was a teen when it came out, it was cool)
Anatomy Of A Murder (Filmed in the Upper Peninsula of MI)
Casablanca
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
American Beauty (Spacey quote: "I rule!")
All 3 of.....Lord Of The Rings (Have read the trilogy at least seven times)
It's Always Fair Weather (Classic Gene Kelly dancing...wonderful)
Woodstock (OK, you youngin's, watch 10 Years After's part and you will be hooked)
It's A Wonderful Life (I still cry, even after many-many viewings)
Band Of Brothers (Incredible sacrifice)
Doctor Zhivago (Beautiful love story...I wanted to be him)
Clockwork Orange
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming
Doctor Strangelove ("We'll meet again, someday....")
White Heat (Classic Cagney)
King Kong (Original version, so stiff it's a campy kind of fun)
Boy's Town
City For Conquest (Classic Cagney)
Debbie Does Dallas (No storyline, but real good acting)

Bear

Anything by Hitchcock is still good. A lot of movies with Audrey Hepburn are still good. "Out of Africa" is awesome. Of course, Matrix is a "can't miss" movie. Pretty much any of the B-grade movies starring Bruce Willis is good for the kind of weekend you were having. I am sure there are others.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Floridays said:
I saw Monday before it was released - sponsored by my church.
humbling and a bit overwhelming.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Dear Ann: ( this is the daily Ann Landers column, isn't it)

Here's my answer to the daily question, as modified by the founder (you Ann). I most closely identify with Sebastian (the Crab) from the Little Mermaid. Let's face it, I'm sick and tired of being refered to as an STD. I swear, the sweet young thing left unde my tutorage. Ever hear of a tune by the Police, huh ... Don't stand so close to me. My life story, up until now has been one episode of forcing myself to babyset and in some cases cater to controling women who turn out to be full of **** in the end. Why they're dad's keep trying to pawn them off on me is a mystery.

Ann, with your broad knowledge of women (hell, they're after you in droves with lines), please tell me how to fight the honest role of protector and guardian, when I really just want to bond physically, rather than being a Jimminy Cricket? Yes, I feel for Sebastian in the Little Mermaid. When I examine his plight, I look interspectively and realize that good guys always finish last.

Budgie said:
I look interspectively and realize that good guys always finish last.
OT: I once saw a Not Work Safe cartoon where the woman was saying "gee, it's true: Nice Guys really do finish last".
8-!