• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Monday 3/15/04 Noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today’s noontime question is related to my current self-reflection phase. I am currently looking at how my life is right now, compared to where I want to go. I guess this is in relation to the question from Friday.

What are you doing to better achieve your goals and better your life?

(Just general things that you think help to make you a better person, or bring you closer to where you want to be in your life)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok I will start...

Ok... I guess I will start

For me:

I workout on a regular basis
I read at least one planning book each month
I read at least one self-help or biography per month
I volunteer to work with kids at my Church
I go for a walk in a new neighborhood once a week
I try to meet two new people every week (can be work related)
I call my parents twice a month
I eat out at one new place each month

kms

Cyburbian
Right now, I'm trying to organize and get rid of clutter.
I surround myself with good people.
I'm active in my church and my kids' school.
I try to find at least one good quality in each person I meet.
I compliment people who deserve compliments..
I say my prayers at night.

This is a start....

michaelskis said:
Ok... I guess I will start
I think these types of questions have been "done to death" since New Year's. Most folks don't have a high tolerance for answering Deep and Meaningful Introspective questions on public boards. I love this sh*t but I get self-conscious about going on about it since I already get ribbed about "talking too much", etc. -- which is part of why I didn't reply earlier. But since you seem to be "begging":

For me, pursuing my goals and "living my life" are too intertwined to try to separate them out. I don't really do empty, meaningless, time-wasting stuff. But I am older than you and I did all that introspection, etc, in my teens and twenties -- possibly more than a lot of folks do in their entire lives. So evaluating my actions and living "out loud", so to speak, is just "second nature" to me these days. I wish I could come up with a better explanation than "living out loud", but I can't.

Some of the stuff I am doing:

Talking to folks I find interesting at 3am or whenever they happen to trip across me. I am a people-person and I was going through all that icky drug withdrawal and too brain dead to do anything except pass the time doing something I enjoy. I enjoy talking to interesting people and I tend to blow-off folks who are shallow and just looking to pick up chicks or whatever. This "time wasting" socializing has resulted in meeting potential business partners, one of whom I think is extremely serious about going into business with me and has a lot to offer.

But we only recently met and we are not really talking "business" yet. We are still "socializing", learning to trust each other and to communicate effectively. But I know that this will pay off down the road. You negotiate (and work) more effectively with people you can communicate effectively with. Most Americans spend too little time building business relationships and kind of want to 'skip to the end' and "do business". I know that I am investing in a long term situation and treating people like human beings and not merely like the means to an end pays dividends big time when it counts. But I would do it anyway -- that is just Me. My morals dictate that I live that way. It is nice that there is a payoff. It makes me feel "rewarded" for Doing The Right Thing. :-D

I am continuing to be available to my kids to whatever degree they need me, whenever they happen to need me -- and staying out of their hair the rest of the time because they are teenagers and tend to have better things to do than hang out with boring old Mom. I am enjoying this stage as I once worried that it might never come for my oldest child, who has handicaps and has always been extremely close to me and dependent upon me to a really extreme degree. When my business takes off, I won't have so much time for them. But I have always given to them when they needed it. So it will be convenient and guilt-free "coincidence" when they can't be bothered to give me the time of day and I won't really have time for them either. :-D

I am continuing to place my physical health and healing very high up on my priority list. It takes less time than it used to but is still a heavy investment of my time and energy every day. It pays dividends in teaching me patience, in teaching me to keep my priorities straight in the face of temptations and distractions (a kind of mental discipline which is rare), and it will pay off in the long run when I am healthier and have the energy and mental focus for my business.

I am spending like crazy on stuff I trip across on steep discount that I sort of don't feel I have the money for but I know that right now I have the time and when things fall into place and my business takes off, I will need all this furniture and so forth and I will not have the time. I also know that if I don't buy it when I trip across "the perfect thing" for 60% to 90% off, it won't be there later -- certainly not at that price and possibly "not at all".

I am scouting downtown locations for where to locate a work-live space.

And I am now out of time for examining my navel in public for the benefit of one person while everyone else thinks "Shut the f*ck up!!!". :-D :-D :-D

Last edited: