• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Monday 3/8/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well after a crazy fun filled weekend at Notre Dame I am back at work, but with a cold!
So, because I my sudden illness that has slowed many of my work processes,

What is your recommendation or one that you have heard of, to cure a cold?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
To clear myself out, a nice double shot of bourbon has worked for me in the past.....might want to wait until you leave work for that though. ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
"Starve a cold, feed a fever" has always confused me. Are you supposed to not eat when you have a cold and eat when you have a fever, or, if you don't eat when you have a cold, does it feed a fever? I guess I'm just too simple.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Gedunker said:
"Starve a cold, feed a fever" has always confused me. Are you supposed to not eat when you have a cold and eat when you have a fever, or, if you don't eat when you have a cold, does it feed a fever? I guess I'm just too simple.
Well really it should be "feed a cold, starve a fever" at least that is the way it has generally worked for me. Whenever I get a cold, I am always voraciously hungry, and I eat everything I can. It works to get rid of the cold.

I seldom ever get sick, but I do get the super-occasional cold and drinking lots of water does wonders. Also, if this cold includes a very runny nose, spend the money to get good soft, aloe-enriched Kleenex. Your nose will thank you.

mendelman said:
drinking lots of water does wonders.
agreed - hydrate hydrate hydrate. and sleep.

and once a day, clorox your phone and doorknobs - get rid of the cooties lingering around and helps to prevent infecting your co-inhabitants who might then reinfect you.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Use a new toothbrush, otherwise you could re-infect yourself. Toss that one when you are really on the mend.

Drink juice and have light soups.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Heat tea bag in mug. Add shot of bourbon (the cheaper the better -- not sure why but trust me on this one) and honey and lemon.
I financed my college education by working as a bartender so this really does work!
I also have a great cure for the hiccups if anyone ever needs it.... :p

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I like to mix lounging around the house with some light outdoor activity. The fresh air and getting my bllod circulating on a half-hour walk seems to help. Be sure to air out the house as well. My only health problems are allergy and sinus related. Keeping the humidity down always works for me. Also drink lots of orange juice.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Heat tea bag in mug. Add shot of bourbon (the cheaper the better -- not sure why but trust me on this one) and honey and lemon.
I financed my college education by working as a bartender so this really does work!
I also have a great cure for the hiccups if anyone ever needs it.... :p
One of my aunts (normally a teetotaler) would make the above concoction whenever one of us had a cold, only she made it with peppermint schnapps so there was a kind of menthol that would really help open you up if you were stuffy.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
A good spicy curry always helps. The type doesn't seem to matter so much (green, red, masaman, vindaloo, tikka masala...now I'm hungry) as the level of spice. The hotter, the better, and all the veggies help too.
Forgot about EmergenC. It's kind of like Theraflu, but more "natural"--lots of vitamins and echinacea and such, pretty tasty. Health food stores usually have several flavors/versions of it.

Last edited:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I've had bad reactions to cold medicine (other than Nyquil) in the past, so I've had to find other ways to cure a cold. (I don't think cold medicine really "cures" a cold anyway.. sometimes it just prolongs the inevitable...)

Drink lots of liquid - water, teas, and occasionally juice.
Take vitamin C.
Chicken soup or vegetable broth is good.
My grandmother swore by tea with honey and lemon, but I hate the stuff!

I've heard that you're supposed to lay off the dairy products because "milk makes mucus," but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Oh yeah - one other thing - stay home if you can, so you don't get us all sick!

vaughan

Cyburbian
You know, I've got a cold right now as well... friday night happy hour did not treat me well, I'm afraid. My general philosophy is that it ALWAYS takes a week for me to get over a cold, so I might as well just drink liquids, eat well (especially fruits and veggies), and get rest. Also, laying off the thesis helps, but I'm outta luck on that one.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
Oh yeah - one other thing - stay home if you can, so you don't get us all sick!
I do not get any sick days will the end of my 6 months and that does not end will the 24th of this month... To make things worse, I have a ZBA meeting that I am staffing tonight. YEA

nerudite

Cyburbian
Echinacea/Vitamin C mix is awesome. For OTC flu/cold medicines, I like that theraful or tylenol cold cold mixes. You add them to hot water... it's great because it clears up your sinuses and knocks you on your ass so you can sleep. Just can't use them during the daytime unless you are at home.

For those of you in warmer climes, the leaves from loquat trees make a great (and nasty tasting!) tea that clears up coughs very quick. You have to boil the tea down in a large saucepan for about 30 minutes till it gets syrupy.

martini

Cyburbian
Wanna clear out your head quick? WASABI! And a nice good chunk of it at that. I don't know about it getting rid of or treating your cold, but damn, that stuff cleans out your head almost instantly.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
If its a mucky sinus head cold, I go to the gym and steam it out. Of course, you really gotta wait till its off peak or people get cranky at you.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Second nerudite's recommendation of vitamin C. When I feel a cold of some sort of bug coming on -- that proto-blahness you feel a couple of days before a full-on onset, usually a tingling or dry throat and a tired feeling -- I take megadoses of vitamin C. We're talking 40 or 50 capsules at a time, twice a day. Lots of sleep also helps.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
California sparking wine. Try a Domaine Chandon blanc de noir.

JNL

Cyburbian
I tried to reply but something went wrong so here goes again....

I second mendelman's suggestion of aloe vera tissues.

There is only so much vit C your body can utilise so don't go too overboard with it.

Another vote for lots of fluids, and I recommend fresh orange juice.

And if you have to get to something, like an important meeting or exam, cold & flu capsules can temporarily banish the symptoms.

I don't believe there is a cure, but you can lessen the symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I once worked with a guy that when he start to get a cold, he would have two or three screwdrivers… if they did not work, it would at least take the edge off.

Thanks for the tips, when I get done with my meeting tonight, I might make a few drinks, a cup of tea, and some nightquil. (Thinking if I try all the ideas, I should be able to kick this thing)

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
When I feel a cold coming on, I always take what I call my Triple Threat Cocktail...Echinacea, Vitamin C and Tylenol. Take with a big glass of water right before bed, and get a good night's rest. Works for me *most* of the time.

Rem

Cyburbian
Echinacia has already been mentioned but I will add a vote for it. Also, instead of Vitamin C, I take a multivitamin that includes an RDI for vitman C & B. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and water help once I'm on the mend. Yeah those aloe tissues are good too - we have some here with eucalyptus as well - good for unblocking a nose.

I have read that if you keep your blood slightly more alkaline, viruses can't live in it. Supposedly, eating lettuce and cucumbers and drinking apple juice helps keep your blood on the alkaline side. I have no idea if it is true.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
michaelskis said:
Well after a crazy fun filled weekend at Notre Dame I am back at work, but with a cold! ...What is your recommendation or one that you have heard of, to cure a cold?
What's "a crazy fun filled weekend" that you speak off ? :-b

Just a suggestion to avoid this from recurring don't go back to ND. :p

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, as if it was not bad enough before, I feel better.. with one problem… My voice is gone. :-(
Today is going to be a LONG LONG day, and I still have no sick time avalible.

SGB

Cyburbian
I double up my daily dose of vitamin C and zinc until the cold goes away.

It tends to shorten the lenght of the cold pretty well for me.