• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Monday 4/5/04 noontime question from Michaelskis

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, I am back! I still have a mile high stack of papers, and I will be out most the afternoon, but it is once again time for the noontime question from Michaelskis.

I know that many of you experience the same thing that Maister and I just went through. A week of craziness at work, when your to do list increases 4 times faster than you can get things done, plus filling in for people who are gone for one reason or another… Which leads to this:

What is the best way to recover from a week of insanity?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
quit ;-)

if not, I like the beach option

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Stay late no more than 1 1/2 hrs a day until you catch up.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Go on a mad shopping spree at the newly constructed Wal-Mart nearest you?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
If you're trying to catch up....back away from the crack pipe that is Cyburbia for a while, and come back when you're caught up.

otterpop

Cyburbian
My remedy: a long hot shower, then I like to sit in a dark room in silence. I find it restorative. Of course, it often doesn't work out that way because that is usually the time my wife or son comes into the room, turns on the light, and starts talking to me.

boiker

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
If you're trying to catch up....back away from the crack pipe that is Cyburbia for a while, and come back when you're caught up.

yes.. put down the cyburbia crack pipe and start popping some speed. You'll be done before you start.

or.. after you get caught up you could always start a new season on Madden on the PS2 or some play some other video game to get your mind completly off work.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Go on a mad shopping spree at the newly constructed Wal-Mart nearest you?
Maister, you punk... what do you think is adding to my week. Any how, that will not be open till November...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
To recover from work overload I do the following,

A) Workout or go for a bike ride, followed by

B) a shower and a beer, followed by

C) sex, followed by

D) another beer

repeat steps B through D until the stress is gone

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Maister, you punk... what do you think is adding to my week. Any how, that will not be open till November...
For the benefit of other Cyburbanites Michaelski references the 'fun' we had with Wal-Mart this weekend. Both Mic. & I got called on Sunday by Police dispatch (we were observing the Sabbath for Chrissakes!) that there was "no silt fence in place at the future WalMart site". As it turns out this 'emergency' was reported in to the state DNR by a group of 'concerned citizens' who noticed a number of construction vehicles. Never mind that no excavation had actually taken place yet so no silt fence was necessary, they were just staging the vehicles.
Why is it the bar tab is the single largest household expense for planners?

ludes98

Cyburbian
Maister said:
As it turns out this 'emergency' was reported in to the state DNR by a group of 'concerned citizens' who noticed a number of construction vehicles. Never mind that no excavation had actually taken place yet so no silt fence was necessary, they were just staging the vehicles.
And I am sure they reviewed the SWPPP and the NOI too while they were at it.

I like PBD's idea, but I am more inclined to catch up by working longer hours in AM. I have never been much for staying late.

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
Short answer: :b:

I had a crazy week last week too, and I was dying to have a beer, but I went home first, lay down on the couch *just for a minute*.. and woke up half an hour later. I hadn't even been yawning at work or anything, but suddenly the week caught up with me. I didn't end up going out for beer, instead I had a nice dinner, a shower with some special extra nice-smelling shower gel, and went to bed early! The next morning I was awake and up at 7:00am and full of energy! So that worked for me.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Beer. Beer. Beer. Beer.

Oh, and I like the idea of going into work an hour early. I hate staying late, but if I know I have no meetings I'll get to work an hour early to get caught up. If I'm really behind I'll come in about 45 minutes early for a few days ntil it's all better.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
A day at the beach with a good book by a favorite author

Or a couple glasses of wine and then pulling weeds in the back yard (only during summer, like now -it's already here in FL); I can get so focused and by god, I'm on a mission!

Grab the kid, jump on our bikes, and ride hell-bent for leather around the neighborhood.