• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mondays can be good! (now with photos!)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Elmo and I just closed on our house... as of noon today, we are official homeowners. Yay!

Let the renovations begin! ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Mondays can be good!

nerudite said:
Elmo and I just closed on our house... as of noon today, we are official homeowners. Yay!

Let the renovations begin! ;)

Congrats nerudite! How much renovating do you have to do? When do you move in?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Not too much on the renovation front... mostly painting. And that will probably start this weekend. We need to update some of the windows and the front door for energy efficiency.

I'll post pics in the gallery tomorrow. I'm so excited... and luckily the weather is working with us this time!

And as far as when can you come over? Anytime you want, baby... we have a guest room now! My mom and dad are coming up for a week at Christmas, so if I can handle that, I can handle any guests! ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:
Not too much on the renovation front... mostly painting. And that will probably start this weekend.

You're lucky. We bought a fixer-upper that was about 60K less than comparable houses in the neighbourhood, and we're in the middle of tearing it apart. Hopefully, it will be livable by the time next weekend rolls around so we can move in!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
As they used to say on Usenet ...

JPG! JPG! JPG! JPG!

Tell us more!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Congratulations and welcome to equity!

I wish all I had left was to paint, but I'm in the fourth year of my second five-year rehab plan. Right now the spousal unit and I have finished tearing out adjoining rooms (kitchen/sunroom) to totally remodel the kitchen. The dirt was so bad from the demolition, I looked like a coal miner. Now we start building!

Anyway, have fun with the new home.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I found some old pics on my computer, so this will give you an idea of what we are getting into...

It's a ranch house built in 1960... it has a large lot (for edmonton), approx. 7,000 s.f. The upper floor is about 1250 s.f. and the finished basement is about 1000 s.f.

Here is the house from the front drive (you can't see the garage or much of the structure from the ROW, due to a large tree in front of the garage):

Living room:

Living room (other side):

Kitchen:

Daughter's Room (to be painted in 'jungle' theme):

Son's Room (to be painted in 'spider man' theme, with new light):

One of the three bathrooms:

Masterbedroom (to be used as guest room/office):

Downstairs Den:

Downstairs Den, extra open area, bathroom:

Side yard:

Two pictures of the rear yard/deck:
88backyard.jpg

pandersen

Cyburbian
Congrats on the house purchase. I'm also looking for a house right now, but the market in this town is next to non-existent. What is on the market is just too darn expensive for what is available.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Congrats,
Love the pictures.
Enjoy, home ownership is hard but rewarding work!
Looks like quite the party yard!

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Hey is that a hot tub i saw next to the grill???

You bet your sweet patootie! However, it is not functional...it's falling apart and full of rot and bugs. I'm giving up on a couple of my expensive vices for a while to save up for it...aiming for a spring/early summer unveiling of the new one.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Congratulations! Your new home looks nice and spacious. (Seeing an actual basement is a real curiosity for someone from Florida!)

Rem

Cyburbian
Congratulations to you and Bite Me Elmo, whom I didn't realise was your "spousal unit" - to quote Gedunker. Sounds like something from Bicentennial Man.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Looks great guys.....I'll let you know when I'll be dropping by. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Looks great guys.....I'll let you know when I'll be dropping by. ;)

Any time! Although, you'd have to stay in that lavendar colored room... if you can handle it!

donk

Cyburbian
Congrats on the new house.

I am sure you already know this, before you put your new door and windows in check with the feds, there is a program on right now for tax rebates and incentives for energy efficient doors, windows and insulating.

For the house warming party, I'll bring the donairs, alpine and dulse. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
I am sure you already know this, before you put your new door and windows in check with the feds, there is a program on right now for tax rebates and incentives for energy efficient doors, windows and insulating.

Yeah, we are going to go ahead and schedule the requisite 'energy audit' in order to qualify for rebates later. Epcor has a special on for the audits that lasts for another month or so, so we'll barely make it time for the program.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
donk said:

Yeah, I'm already thinking of ways I can reduce my gas emissions too.

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
Any time! Although, you'd have to stay in that lavendar colored room... if you can handle it!

No problem. My current bedroom is painted light purple. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
No problem. My current bedroom is painted light purple. :)

How uhhhh... masculine! ;)

But do you have beautiful (gag!) violet flowers cascading from your curtians like this? I don't think that these will be lasting long in my house...

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
How uhhhh... masculine! ;)

But do you have beautiful (gag!) violet flowers cascading from your curtians like this? I don't think that these will be lasting long in my house...

You don't honestly believe I *chose* to have a purple bedroom, do you? ;)

There may be a re-painting very soon.....

SGB

Cyburbian
Congratulations!

After you finish the first phase of renovations, you can start training the neighborhood on effective guerilla public hearing tactics.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Tranplanner said:
One more thing NHPlanner and I have in common...

My g*d Tran.....were we seperated at birth? ;)

Mine won't be purple for much longer though......

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
NHPlanner said:
My g*d Tran.....were we seperated at birth? ;)

Mine won't be purple for much longer though......

Mine either - we're going for a bluish tint in the new bedroom. "Flowing Breeze" is the technical name.

Who the hell comes up with these stupid paint colour names anyway?