• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mondays

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Is anyone else having a bad monday? Anyone want to rant? I'll listen.

(crosses fingers- please please please don't let this be a repeat posting) ;)

donk

Cyburbian
I had a rotten thursday and friday, see my posts, but I'll spill the problems over to monday if it will make your day better.

BKM

Cyburbian
My big problem is that I had a four day weekend, which I spent driving way too many places over the weekend. When combined with the breakfast burrito and the fact that I didn't get to bed before midnight, I am about to fall asleep at my desk.

SGB

Cyburbian
And daddy doesn't understand it;
he always said she was good as gold.

No complaints here. Feel free to rant if you need to.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It's not a bad Monday - just unsettled. We had new carpeting installed last week, which had the whole office torn up. The computers were down for three days, the furniture was all piled into different rooms (then moved so the other half of the building could be done) and the place stank from the glue fumes. I mostly worked from home. This morning everything had to be moved back into place. The clean-up will continue for some time. Oh, and I have a Board meeting there this evening.

H

Cyburbian
There is some punk song that my brother likes called “what I like about Mondays”, you should download it (to demo, of course). It should cheer you up :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
insired by Chicago voting

nap early and often as you can.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I forgot my son's day camp had a sleepover tonite until I opened my planner in the first meeting of the morning. So I spent my lunch hour running home to pack the sleeping bag, etc and run it up to him at camp. Whew! Up until then, I thought it was a good day.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
the boy and I get in to a fight this morning over a stupid hairbrush.

I get to work and my boss reams me for several things. petty things. 1- my handwriting is illegible sometimes, 2-I need to take mesages on the message pad and NOT on a legal pad. 3-I had to change the password on my computer and the other secretary was irate about it, 4-it's not professional for me to drink water out of my nalgene bottle at my desk

I didn't get enough sleep last night, my face is all oily and I'm really beginning to hate the cats... I had a nice pile of poo on my NEW sofa this morning.

It's raining and #$%# humid.

whew! I needed to get all that off my chest. Thanks for the ears guys! <-- does any one get offended if I just say "guys" or do I have to say "gals" too, I just assume guys means everyone.

donk

Cyburbian
jessie-j, I'll sympathize with you

the boy and I get in to a fight this morning
dump him and move to wisconsin to be with prudence, or you are welcome here too. icon12.gif

my handwriting is illegible sometimes
Better then mine, it is illegible all of the time

on the message pad and NOT on a legal pad
I always take messages onto a note pad, then transcribe them to the message pad, that way I can practice my hand writing and make sure I take a good message.

had to change the password on my computer
screw the secretary it is you computer

it's not professional for me to drink water out of my nalgene bottle at my desk
This one I can partially see, but unless they provide suitable water and you are bringing it from home then as long as you are discrete who cares.

No PC police here, guys gals, folks all the same thing.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:

whew! I needed to get all that off my chest. Thanks for the ears guys! <-- does any one get offended if I just say "guys" or do I have to say "gals" too, I just assume guys means everyone.
You can take the safe southern route and just say "ya'll"...

Jess - I'll jump on your train hon. I woke up this morning and just wanted to cry because it was monday. i was hating coming into work this morning so much, my stomach hurt the whole drive in. I'm in charge of the comp plan effort our town is doing, and i've got a Town Councilman who is being a gigantic PITA about it, and the other two planners are on vacay this week, so it is just me and director, and the director is also out half the week, so i've gotten 8 million phone calls, and 1/2 of those have been people with the stupidest questions. argh. i'm just *waiting* for 4:20 to get here so i can scoot my ass out, go home and watch oprah and feel better about my own problems.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome to Monday

I want to move…

I too hate cats, and I am beginning to hate working at this place more and more. According to the PA Municipal Planning Code, our city council has final say based on recommendation from our planning commission, well several years ago the planning commission was granted this decision making rite, and now there is talk of taking it away from them. A 17 year veteran of the commission will be removed tonight to make room for a YES man, and it seems that everyone is thinking about leaving. I know I applied for a few in the mid west. PLEASE WISH ME LUCK.

I am moving out of my apartment because for the area, I pay way to much, and my lease options are limited, and if I break lease early, even to relocate, it will be a $1200-$1800 fine, so I am looking for a new job, in hopes that I will not need to continue to look for a new apartment.

So yea, Mondays are not the best day for me.

BUT on the other hand, I have done some fun neighborhood development stuff, stumped my boss on why we do not have any down town economic growth plan, and I am going to a neighborhood meeting tonight. So all is not bad. (oh, and looking at two new apartments tonight)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I know what you mean; and it sure makes for a long day when you get to work on time.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
the boy and I get in to a fight this morning over a stupid hairbrush.

Any man willing to fight over a hair brush is gay. Sorry gays.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It has been an odd Monday.

Prudence called in sick
Associate Planner called in sick.
GIS person at a conference
Conservationist in the field all day with intern
Secretary lost her voice.

Its soooo quiet, Im actually getting tons of uninterupted (except for cyburbia) work done!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hmm, let's see:

I asked an 8-ball if the rest of my day was going to bite: decidedly so.
I had a crappy weekend, wedding stress is getting to me and watching "Just Married" gave me a small breakdown about our honeymoon biting.
I just found out because I'm so freakishly tall just having extra length added onto my dress is going to cost the same price as the dress.
Memos are due and and applicant is dilly-dallying about getting me info I requested 2 months ago but saying he "has" to go now.
The venue did not fax me a contract, had to open a can on them, had to move dates because there wasn't enough time in the day to have two on the same day.
The verbally abusive co-worker is at it again.
I still don't have GIS on my computer and the dude that makes the vicinity maps is behind so I'll be lucky if I get them tomorow (need them today, gave 2 weeks to do this).
I paid the cable bill twice this month by accident and now I'm broke until Thursday.
I did a super rough set at the gym and I can hardly walk.
Sadie ate rocks this morning and threw up on the bed so I have to do laundry as soon as I get home.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
The hairbrush thing was not about the hairbrush per say, it was about where the hairbrush was. I borrowed it and didn't return it to the bathroom where it goes. He got really bent out of shape about it.

What's the deal with our animals Hab?
I wish I could have done too much at the gym. I didn't get to run yesterday (and I can't ride my bike with my shoulder for a month!!!!!!) so I'm feeling hella sluggish. I am really looking forward to running when I get home tonight.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Jessie-J said:
The hairbrush thing was not about the hairbrush per say, it was about where the hairbrush was. I borrowed it and didn't return it to the bathroom where it goes. He got really bent out of shape about it.
Any self respecting man would put you in your place, Jessie. ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Chet said:
It has been an odd Monday.

Prudence called in sick
Associate Planner called in sick.
Sounds fishy to me. Were they out drinking together last night?

As for Mondays - they all suck. It is so depressing when I get out of my car and walk to the door of our building..it is like the official end to the weekend. Although lately, every day seems like Monday around here.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Ugh... I was having a good monday (for a monday) until I read the paper. It seems that the City Council doesn't like the fact that all of the Municipal Planning Commission sessions that I've been facilitating regarding our Land Use Bylaw Update have been closed meetings. Certain members of the City Council (the same ones who approved the terms of reference naming the MPC as the steering committee for this process) now want the whole thing scrapped and started from scratch, with the whole City Council as a steering committee in public forum. Holy crap... I hope some sense comes to these people... stop changing the process halfway through dammit! If I have to start over again, I'll cry... I mean really cry. It's been a long, drawn out process so far... and it will be 10 times as bad if every meeting is public and in front of the politically charged CC. Blech!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Ugh... I was having a good monday (for a monday) until I read the paper. It seems that the City Council doesn't like the fact that all of the Municipal Planning Commission sessions that I've been facilitating regarding our Land Use Bylaw Update have been closed meetings. Certain members of the City Council (the same ones who approved the terms of reference naming the MPC as the steering committee for this process) now want the whole thing scrapped and started from scratch, with the whole City Council as a steering committee in public forum. Holy crap... I hope some sense comes to these people... stop changing the process halfway through dammit! If I have to start over again, I'll cry... I mean really cry. It's been a long, drawn out process so far... and it will be 10 times as bad if every meeting is public and in front of the politically charged CC. Blech!
Sorry, but In Wisconsin I do not see how the committee could consider revisions to the bylaw (code) in anything but open session. Closed session is only for discussion of personnel items and negotiations where open deliberation might impact the city's competitive position. Even then, any action must be taken in open session.

Jesse - I agree, those were stupid complaints. Who cares whether a message is written on a message pad, a legal pad, graph paper, scrap paper, a napkin, or anything else? So what if you changed the password? Aren't they there to keep people out, anyway? Is a nalgene bottle any different than a coffee cup or a can of pop? Tell you boss to shove it ... someplace, shoot the cats, and buy a dehumidifier. As for the boy, hand him the hairbrush and tell him you will put it away after he brushes your hair, gives you a massage, and... whatever else may help you relax. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Sorry, but In Wisconsin I do not see how the committee could consider revisions to the bylaw (code) in anything but open session. Closed session is only for discussion of personnel items and negotiations where open deliberation might impact the city's competitive position. Even then, any action must be taken in open session.
There's two types of reviews here: regular (open process alllll the way through) and limited (minor updates with closed process at MPC and regular open public hearing process at CC). It's up to the City Council to determine which one they want... we have been doing months of meetings with the MPC and NOW the certain members of the CC are wanting to change the process they had already prescribed in the beginning. That's what pisses me off... If they had picked the long, public process in the first place, then I wouldn't be whining. Any time that you get through 75% of an update and someone calls a "do over", it peeves me.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
. I didn't get to run yesterday (and I can't ride my bike with my shoulder for a month!!!!!!) B]

Look to Tyler Hamilton for inspiration and quit yer yappin!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I actually had a good Monday.

Of course, I woke up this morning and thought it was Wednesday...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My Monday got wierd after work.

At 8PM got a call from a friend announcing his pending divorce. Met him out about 9PM at the local Ale House, and about 11PM ran into a friend of my family that was in town from Maryland. Four hours and a breakfast at Dennys later, I went home and got 3 hours of sleep before the alarm went off.

*time to start the bad Tuesday thread*

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
how i deal with mondays on tuesday
1- that was yesterday
2- easy 45 min bicycle ride, weather was nice
3- count down 'til i leave for vacation - jersey shore
4- was the boss out of town
5- coffee
6- daily dose of cyburbia
7- i woke up this morning, so monday was not the end of the world

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Looks like the thread could be genericized for anyone having a bad day on any day, not just Mondays. Not everyone has great Thursdays, you know.

JNL

Cyburbian
Okay, so what strategies does everyone have for turning a bad day into a better one?

Here are some of mine:
1. Caffeine
2. Delegation (most satisfying when it's to someone more senior- hold on, is that still called delegation?)
3. Do something else for a while
4. Spend some time in cyburbia
5. More caffeine

Repo Man

Cyburbian
1. Beer(s) after work
2. Cyburbia
3. Dream of winning Powerball
4. Dream of a better job
5. Imagine how great life would be if the antagonists who are making your day crappy were not in it.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I only like days marked with red ;) but the day I hate most is wednesday, mid week and already wanting it to be saturday. Monday is also painfull, specially because of the hard reconection to 'work'.

I guess if I lived in Alaska I'd hibernate throughout the winter :p, with the ocasional break to eat and go to the bathroom, what else could I do if it's dark?

Queen B

Cyburbian
I guess if I lived in Alaska I'd hibernate throughout the winter :p, with the ocasional break to eat and go to the bathroom, what else could I do if it's dark? [/B][/QUOTE]

What else could you do in the dark? Can we talk? Yes the occasional break to eat and go to the bathroom. And yes I would be talking about spending alot of time in bed.
But not alone!

Rem

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
What else could you do in the dark? Can we talk? .... I would be talking about spending alot of time in bed.
But not alone!
QB you need to go back and look at Skel's photo - I think there are laws in the US about corrupting minors.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
He looked legal to me! ;) not that I want to scare him.......
Lucky SkeL!
I would have loved for you girls to scare me when I was 18. ;)

Last edited: