• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

More Detention Basins!

Jeff

Cyburbian
This may be a common occurence in Canada, but it's new to me. I saw some kids playing hockey in a detention basin yesterday. Man, I wish I had one of those near me when I was growing up. We used to spray the snow with the hose and play in the street. The ice was always choppy and you always ruined the blades on your skates, but it was fun.

jmf

Cyburbian
A couple of years ago at a CIP conference one of the presenters made a comment about the loss of urban wetlands and the decline of Canadian hockey.

She was speaking about the importance of wetlands and how wetlands in urban areas which never used to built on are now being infilled and developed and the greater implications of this.

kms

Cyburbian
It's a miracle those kids didn't get killed playing in the detention basin. :) A family around here sued everyone after a detention basin was installed in their neighborhood. The woman said that her kids had nightmares about falling into the basin. I think one of them rode his bike in and broke his arm - we always wondered if the parent has anything to do with the accident, yeah, accident.

Personally, I think a detention basin would be better than having another house up against my house.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I grew up in an older part of Toronto, so we didn't have no stinkin' detention basins. The City made an outdoor rink down at the school - one rink wi' boards for shinny, one mini-rink for the tots, and one pleasure skating rink. The quality varied depending on the coldness of the winter.

We also used to make backyard rinks - lots of time and effort, but it was great.