• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

More irritating commercials

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ditech commercials are quite annnoying, and depict situations that are too unrealistic to happen in real life, but not bizzare enough to be funny.

"Our rates are very competitive ... I'll just open this window to let in some light. AAARGH!" Our protagonist, the slimy mortgage broker, sees a huge Ditech billboard looming outside the window, apparently a suprise because he never opens the shade.

The happy, perky couple travelling around the country in their RV to spread the good news about Prilosec OTC can be irritating as well.. Unrealistic enough to make you think "Dear lord ...", but not so really funny. Just ... oh, maybe postmodern. They're trying to be funny, but they aren't, yet the commercial seems funny in an irritating sort of way because it isn't, yet it tries so hard. Yeah, Prilosec OTC ... postmodern.

What is it with fast food commercials and African-Americans, anyhow? Do people in fast food restaurants that are staffed and patronized entirely by blacks always order in rap, or break out into dance, anywhere? Do to-go customers always take their bags of superzied whatever to basketball courts, where they shoot hoops with their buddies? Who makes up these ads ... suburban white guys? Patronizing. Usually, when I go to a fast food restaurant in the inner city, the employees seem sullen and sad, as do most of the customers.

Just a rant. Back to work.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I'm not sure who makes these commercials, But I've got good news, I just saved a bunch of money by NOT switching to Gecko! Good one George!

I hate those frigging commercials.

el Guapo

Capitalist
No more annoying than VW commercials: Skinny Gen X+ ers whining and driving a car I can't afford on their MTV intern pay - WTH?

I'm with you on the urban-fast-food blacksploitation genre. WTH? Carl Weathers needs to show up at Mickey D's and slap the piss out of their ad team.

Next comes the Starbucks commercials – never once will an actual fact about the product be stated. It is all about feeling good about the product and connecting. They make a wicked barista though.

Next, let us talk about your and my favorite local yokel! "He's the Dealer with a Heart!" He’s really the used car dealer straight off the loser list of Hee-Haw Survivor. "Come on down to XXXXX XXXXX's cause everybody deserves a second chance." "We'll find a way to finance you or I'll give you a car" Yeah, the used car dealer is really a humanitarian serving the good folks of the hood! What a guy! And the saps that start their car shopping there deserve it. They are the same idiots without insurance and the ones that crap up everything they touch. I may just go into the used car business for a little social justice of my own!

And the latest is the unintelligible rap station radio commercial for the check-cashing joint. Apparently if you cash a check there "all da beotches be yous!" At least that is what I think it said, me being a suburban white republican, with all that baggage that comes with, I may be mistaken. And I know that if things ever go south in my marriage, I'm headed there with a check...;)

I do like the Aflac commericals. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Watching the Fox affilaite out of rochester, the ads I hate most are for the private colleges. RBI does one where the pretends to be having a call in day for you to speak to graduates on the phone. Same add, same time, same people answering the phones everyday at lunch.

Then there are the ambulance chasers....

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I hate any and all commercials involving:

Hair and Beauty Products: Maybeline, etc. And don't even talk to me about Fem Hygiene commercials. I hate the use of sugar-coated words such as "Urine Stream".

Toyota: Annoying 2 second soundbites strung together to the tune of some song by sell out hasbeens Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

SUV commercials

Wal Mart: Dumbed down commercials and general glorification of WT

Cell Phone plans, especially the one with that no-talent, bloated piece o' crap Catherine Zeta Jones.

Pringles

Coors Light: Portrays all men as horny, brainless frat boys acting like total morons around equally brainless siliconed floozies.

That commercial with what's-her-face from Cheers and Veronica's Closet

Any commercials plugging those mind-rotting Reality TV shows or brain dead sit coms that are aired on that particular station.

George Bush presidential campaign ads

Any commercial that uses a classic rock song to plug whatever useless product is being shown. I don't know who I hate more though: The admen who market it, or the band/owners of the song who sold out to allow their commercial to be used in the first place.

All gum commercials E. G. Dentyne Ice

Cereal commercials: These are so gluttonous and grotesque that I get sick just watching them. I saw this commercial for Captain Crunch once that had this kid stick out this enourmous tongue and licked all the chocolate that was plastered all over his face. A pox on the brain-dead parents who buy these products after seeing those commercials.

Turning Leaf wines, etc . Shows a bunch of pretentious, high-maintenance yuppies with Alpine-chizeled features, all gathered around (in expensive clothes of course) and acting like total snobs, engaged in whatever superficial conversation that is the be-all end-all of their trite and meaningless lives.

There are many more believe me. That's all I can think of for now.

I absolutely hate any kind of commercial in which the message is presented in rap or any type of hip hop manner.

The new Subway commercials...
Idiot: "Jarrod! What are you doing in this restaurant??"
Jarrod: "It's okay. I ate Subway for lunch."

Yeah, you ate the whole restaurant, huh Jarrod?! ;) 8-!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
The commerical with the women eating Yoplait.

"I'd like to thank the Academy, good."
"No boyfriend, good."

It' DAMN yogurt!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dan said:
What is it with fast food commercials and African-Americans, anyhow? Do people in fast food restaurants that are staffed and patronized entirely by blacks always order in rap, or break out into dance, anywhere? Do to-go customers always take their bags of superzied whatever to basketball courts, where they shoot hoops with their buddies? Who makes up these ads ... suburban white guys? Patronizing. Usually, when I go to a fast food restaurant in the inner city, the employees seem sullen and sad, as do most of the customers.
There's a McDonalds commercial on the radio where an African American guy talks about how much he loves eating Philly cheesesteaks, getting his freak on, and says "yeah, girl, those pants are a little too tight, I'm lovin' It!" to hip hop music. Aside from the BS of these ads that you pointed out, I think its funny that McDonalds suggests that too-tight pants are a good thing - No need to worry, keep shovelling it in! :-# I wonder how African Americans feel about these types of ads. Is patronizing attention better than no attention from advertisers?

As mentioned before I think that as a prerequisite to speaking in a used car commercial you should be able to pronounce the word CAR.

Every commercial now has to either be funny or vaguely dramatic (insurance/drug co's). I have an new appreciation for 1950's commercials where a guy in a suit would stand there and tell you why you should buy his product.

donk

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
As mentioned before I think that as a prerequisite to speaking in a used car commercial you should be able to pronounce the word CAR.
I forgot about the Maine and Boston stations I get. Some of the local ads I can hardly understand the salesmen/actors.

For the CAR ads it sounds like they are calling for crows.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Any of these new Atkins Friendly commercials drive me nuts. Every single restaurant seems to have one. I am so sick of hearing about that damn diet. If I hear one more person exclaim "you can eat all the meat, sausage, cheese, and eggs you want...and lose weight" I am going to hold them down and force feed them a steady diet of rice, bread, potatoes, and pasta and wash it down with some beer. If you wanna do your diet, that is fine. But I don't want to hear about how great it is that you can eat all this artery clogging food and lose weight.

I hate those Mc Donald's "I'm Lovin It" commercials.

I hate anything and everything with that dullard Subway Jarred in it. 15 minutes are up buddy. Now go home and cash your checks.

Some cool commercials that I do like:

The Miller Lite domino commercial is great (any commercial besides the Swiffer one that uses Devo can't be bad.)

The new Mitsubishi galant commercial where the girl thinks the guy is singing to Radio 4 but he is really reciting a grocery list.

The Leon (selfish football player) Commericals for Budweiser ...you know they are going to bust out a couple of great ones during the Super Bowl with this guy.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
There's a McDonalds commercial on the radio where an African American guy talks about how much he loves eating Philly cheesesteaks, getting his freak on, and says "yeah, girl, those pants are a little too tight, I'm lovin' It!" to hip hop music. Aside from the BS of these ads that you pointed out, I think its funny that McDonalds suggests that too-tight pants are a good thing - No need to worry, keep shovelling it in! :-# I wonder how African Americans feel about these types of ads. Is patronizing attention better than no attention from advertisers?
Who's seen the one where the African-American guy in dreadlocks dances all over the laundromat, sits down and morphs into a white woman drinking some energizing beverage?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
All commercials for Ford/Chevy/GM trucks, especially the full-size ones, where the truck is hauling something enormous, like a bridge, with guitars wailing in the background. A bit RUGGED for my taste.
Wal-Mart ads, of course.
Ads for local law firms that handle car accidents. Along with being able to pronounce the word "car", it helps to be able to pronouce the word "accident". And it just doesn't make it any more believable when the guy's face is as long as a horse's while he tells you about the millions he's about to make for/off you.
Cell phone commercials. C'mon, we know they're all the same thing, stop trying to convince us otherwise.

This is why I stick to PBS mostly.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Who's seen the one where the African-American guy in dreadlocks dances all over the laundromat, sits down and morphs into a white woman drinking some energizing beverage?
Yes! What is up with that? Very confusing.....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I personally hate the Mc Donald's ads (similar to the "I'm livin it", but in spanish, with hip hoppers and other BS)
Actually... I hate ads, excepting just a few. Besides, It's not like I watched TV... :p

boiker

Cyburbian
infomericals. i hate half hour stupid crap, "what a great deal!" mindless banter.

also, mcd's can take off
any atkins diet commercial (or worse yet, "atkins friendly" labels on food at grocery stores... we have apparently sunk to a new low.)

any glorification of an excessive vehicle.

Remax commercials or any other national realtor, Loews, Home Depot, that only shows older, urban houses and upper-mid class people/families utilizing these homes. Let's be honest, that family doesn't live in that house and most likely never will, they have a 2500 sq ft home built in 2001 in the "good" school district.

Car commericals that show people driving in very dense downtown or urban area.....with NO ONE on the roads and the horrible public sidewalks packed with people.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Has there ever been an anti-marijuana commercial that convinced people that they should actually quit smoking? Over and over again, that damn commercal where the swimmer doesn't show up for her meet airs. "Lane number four? Lane number four? TWEEEET! It's okay. You can just tell them that you were out smoking pot." Why the government spends billions on these commercials when they really have no effect, I don't know.

Don't get me started on Blue Hippo commercials, too. "If yo've got bad credit, you can afford a computer!" Yeah, spending $1,000 for a two-generation old boat anchor ... that's real smart!

Canadian commercials, excepting those for Molson, always struck me as dull and bland. Except for Molson, how many Canadian beer commercials don't depict generically attractive thirtysomethings cooking and drinking on the deck of their Muskoka cottage? What's with all the tissue and toilet paper commercials north of the border, too? Do Canadians use a half roll every time, or what?

I've been seeing penis enlargement pill commercials on TV now! Did all the truth-in-advertising and consumer protection laws get swept away "for national security reasons?"

boiker said:
Remax commercials or any other national realtor, Loews, Home Depot, that only shows older, urban houses and upper-mid class people/families utilizing these homes. Let's be honest, that family doesn't live in that house and most likely never will, they have a 2500 sq ft home built in 2001 in the "good" school district.
Ever notice that in Commercialland, all the houses are well-appointed Dutch Colonials built in 1927? Recently there have been more Arts and Crafts-style houses, but odds are any real estate ad will show a pre-war Dutch Colonial or New England-style Colonial. Occasionally you'll see a tract home in a commercial, but that's when the producers are trying to be creative; it'll be in the context of a large subdivision, with the theme "be different." That tract home will have a different colored garage door, a different kind of car out in front, a different something, while the rest are identical.

Oh yeah ... those neighborhoods are all pefectly integrated, with whites, blacks, Asians and Hispanics living in perfect salt-and-pepper harmony. Don't think the ghetto doesn't exist, though. If they don't like in someplace that resembles Shaker Heights, Winnetka, or Chevy Chase, blacks in Commercialland live in neighborhoods that resemble urban Sesame Street; three-story masonry walk-ups in Brooklyn, made gritty only by the random application of some 1980s-style graffiti that says "Fresh!", "Word Up!" or "Yo!".

jmf

Cyburbian
There are car ads here which have the wife narrarating, talking about how her husband was brought up by wolves and shows him doing all these wolf-like things????? THe person who thought up that campaign should be banned forever from advertsing.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Turning Leaf wines, etc . Shows a bunch of pretentious, high-maintenance yuppies with Alpine-chizeled features, all gathered around (in expensive clothes of course) and acting like total snobs, engaged in whatever superficial conversation that is the be-all end-all of their trite and meaningless lives.
For anyone who doesn't know, Turning Leaf is simply a re-branding of Ernest & Julio Gallo. Kendall-Jackson, a much better winemaker, uses a leaf on their bottle. E&J decided that they could snag the image for their cheap swill.

That thing got a hemi?

We have some ambulance chasers here who have the worst ads.... Some underling at an insurance company goes to the boss about an accident.
"Just give them the quickie settlement."
"But they have an attorney."
"Who?"
"Michael H___ and Associates."
The boss suddenly get serious. "This is going to cost us plenty!"

Mentos.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I really don't watch a lot of TV . . .Really . . . I just like to notice how "they" try to influence us.

BUT, a genre of commercial I can't stand is the DUMB GUY commercial where a smart, sophisticated wife outwits her dumb, chubby, flannel wearing husband by using a certain product. There is one where a dumb dad sends off his kids into the snow wearing shorts . . . get it they'll die!! ha ha!! Dad burned dinner again, that moron!! My wife thinks I'm oversensitive to these things. But can you imagine commercials showing women being dumb at business or police work?

I love the commercial for that hangover relief medication. Have any of you big drinker-planners tried this stuff? It is also a DUMB GUY commercial.

I've got to start paying attention to car commercials again. :(

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
We have some ambulance chasers here who have the worst ads.... Some underling at an insurance company goes to the boss about an accident.
"Who?"
An attorney here has used the SAME dialogue!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Seabishop said:
BUT, a genre of commercial I can't stand is the DUMB GUY commercial where a smart, sophisticated wife outwits her dumb, chubby, flannel wearing husband by using a certain product.
On a related note, there's also the groin injury commercal! Ha ha! A guy just got his package smashed by some heavy object! That huts even the male viewers at home! Isn't that hilarious? B-)

Maybe it's the dumb guy and groin injury commercials that makes me appreciate the Bacardi and Cola old-school Miami Vice-style commercials. Pure, old-school female exploitation ... PAYBACK TIME!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I love the commercial for that hangover relief medication. Have any of you big drinker-planners tried this stuff? It is also a DUMB GUY commercial.
The trick to avoid hangovers is to drink a few glasses of water before you go to bed. Works ever time.

-Own a timeshare? Sell it for cash!! Own a campground membership? Sell it for cash!! Own a puppy mill? Sell.......

[/Billy Mays] "Hi there, Billy Mays here for Oxyclean"... [/Billy Mays]

Any of those anti-depressant drug commercials, where the lady goes "I couldn't deal with people anymore. I was scared. I felt an anxiety attack coming at any minute..." Don't worry, we'll fix you says the reassuring voice.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I love the fact that drug companies have to list all those horrible side effects after 30 seconds of showing how their drug can change your life. I'm amazed they think its still worth it to spend millions on those ads.

Repo Man said:
Any of these new Atkins Friendly commercials drive me nuts. Every single restaurant seems to have one. I am so sick of hearing about that damn diet. If I hear one more person exclaim "you can eat all the meat, sausage, cheese, and eggs you want...and lose weight" I am going to hold them down and force feed them a steady diet of rice, bread, potatoes, and pasta and wash it down with some beer. If you wanna do your diet, that is fine. But I don't want to hear about how great it is that you can eat all this artery clogging food and lose weight.
You just touched on one of my most despised pop culture phenomenons right now! Everything is low carb this or low carb that! The only way people are going to lose weight and keep it off is through healthy eating, portion control and EXERCISE!!!! No Atkins, South Beach, cabbage soup diet, etc.!!!!!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Seabishop said:
BUT, a genre of commercial I can't stand is the DUMB GUY commercial :(
More specifically, DUMB HUSBAND commercials where it is made blatant that men know nothing about caring for the family inside the house.

I also dislike the Christmas time Lexus ones where there is a new Lexus in the garage or on the driveway. Holy Crap!! Can you say 'con-spic-uous con-sump-tion'. Sheesh, my wife would kill me if I did that, even if we had tons'o'cash.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I just thought of another one: Those so called Phillip Morris "Anti-Smoking" Ads. You may recall the one where they show this convenience store owner talking about his sign that says you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes. Flash back and forth to scenes of teens in prom dresses trying to buy them and him turning them down. Mary Steenburgen sounds like the narrator who ends the commercial with "from the people at Phillip Morris"

Turns out those ads actually promoted smoking! By glamorizing the types of people that were illigally trying to buy cigarettes.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
also dislike the Christmas time Lexus ones where there is a new Lexus in the garage or on the driveway. Holy Crap!! Can you say 'con-spic-uous con-sump-tion'. Sheesh, my wife would kill me if I did that, even if we had tons'o'cash.
I hate that one too :-# . Consumerism at it's absolute worst. The commercial is so preposterous it makes me sick, yet I bet there are morons out there who will actually go out and buy one and put a ribbon on it, just to emulate those tards in the commercial.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I also dislike the Christmas time Lexus ones where there is a new Lexus in the garage or on the driveway. Holy Crap!! Can you say 'con-spic-uous con-sump-tion'. Sheesh, my wife would kill me if I did that, even if we had tons'o'cash.
I feel like such a bad person for not buying my wife a Jaguar. But with the divorce rate what it is, most couples will split up before the car is paid off.

One thing about kids commercials is the level of irreverence they push. It seems like every commercial urges kids to kick their parents and teachers in the crotch and buy their X-Treme product. No matter what shows your kids are watching, the commercials are the worst part of it.

boiker

Cyburbian
The rant of a hundred cyburbanites.

mendelman said:
More specifically, DUMB HUSBAND commercials where it is made blatant that men know nothing about caring for the family inside the house.
Mom:what are the kids eating for dinner?
Incompetent Dad:popcorn.

Mom: POPCORN!?

Incompetent Dad (while shop-vac'ing the crumbs up): Ya. popcorn CHICKEN.

-------------------

i died.. the end.

To reuse some of old IRC chat euphemisms: That commercial is THE SUCK.

Also, not to get too off-track: every crappy teenage audiance aimed movie like this stupid SAT one.

I think this thread to could start a million more. Worst new kids toy: STINK BLAS---TERRRRS!! (you parents know what I'm talking about).

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I really don't watch a lot of TV . . .Really . . . I just like to notice how "they" try to influence us.

BUT, a genre of commercial I can't stand is the DUMB GUY commercial where a smart, sophisticated wife outwits her dumb, chubby, flannel wearing husband by using a certain product. There is one where a dumb dad sends off his kids into the snow wearing shorts . . . get it they'll die!! ha ha!! Dad burned dinner again, that moron!! My wife thinks I'm oversensitive to these things. But can you imagine commercials showing women being dumb at business or police work?

I:(
Related to that, there's a new commercial for some stupid SUV that has two suburban/Bo-Tox housewives talking in the front yard, with one of them exclaiming how she has control of their new car. Cut to scene of a couple of morons talking over the grill in the backyard with one of them talking about how the car is his. Then we go back to the wives, yada yada yada. The guy burns the steaks at the end and thrusts his burning sleeve into a nearby ice cooler.

I find the commercial extremely annoying and offensive, not only for it's DUMB GUY portrayal, but for it's general glorification of suburbia, SUVs and general consumerism. Yet I'm sure this commercial is effective in targeting a growing segment of our culture that seems this kind of lifestyle as the be-all end-end all of existance.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I've seen that one, too, that's supposed to be retro and ironic and post-modern (I'm guessing). It fails miserably. Please. No one wears chintz anymore. In a related vein, there was an ad for Toyota SUV's on the radio this morning. One of the lines in it was a mom chirping that at times, she carried 6! ballerinas in her SUV. Truely, the mind boggles---RUGGED truck, delicate dancers. What, do they all go rock climbing after practicing their grand jettes?

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
You just touched on one of my most despised pop culture phenomenons right now! Everything is low carb this or low carb that! The only way people are going to lose weight and keep it off is through healthy eating, portion control and EXERCISE!!!! No Atkins, South Beach, cabbage soup diet, etc.!!!!!
I'm still trying to figure out low-carb bread. How is this possible? Bread=carb! What is going on? They can't even make it out of soybeans. Soybeans have carbs. I'm so confused.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
One thing about kids commercials is the level of irreverence they push. It seems like every commercial urges kids to kick their parents and teachers in the crotch and buy their X-Treme product. No matter what shows your kids are watching, the commercials are the worst part of it.
So true. My kids are starting to watch the "older kids" cartoons on Saturday, like the X-Men and the Japanese swill peopled exclusively with big-eyed characters. I've noticed that the commercials during these times always portray adults as moronic, evil, or both. If moronic, it's because they are so decidedly "un-cool." Or evil, as in "adults only want to prevent us from having fun." Some of the cartoons carry the same themes. I'm putting a lock on the TV on Saturday mornings.

Regarding "dumb husband" commercials, honestly, I think a prevailing theme in television marketing is that all males, married or no, are hopelessly clueless, or only want to have fun unencumbered by responsibility.

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-!

Super Amputee Cat said:
sugar-coated words such as Urine Stream
I like any commercial that mentions odor, urine, and feces. I hate the toilet paper commercials that call butt-wipe Bathtoom Tissue.

Butt of course, fake commercials from Saturday Night Live are the best. Ever see Oops! I Crapped My Pants!?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-! :p 8-!

I like any commercial that mentions odor, urine, and feces. I hate the toilet paper commercials that call butt-wipe Bathtoom Tissue.

Butt of course, fake commercials from Saturday Night Live are the best. Ever see Oops! I Crapped My Pants!?
They have some great ones from SNL - Schmits Gay Beer

Or from In Living Color - "We got car phones, car stereos, car alarms. And if you act right now, we just may be able to get you the car." Homeboy Shopping Network

H

Cyburbian
How about the one that starts out with the young hot blonde girl shuffling around and saying, “DAMN these crabs itch!! Good thing I have CrabX in my purse!!”….

No never mind that’s not a commercial. :p

But if I made crab ointment I would make it one :-D

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I hate local commercials for new and used car dealerships. I'm in awe of some of the dumb skits and stunts to sell cars!!!

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
The "best" ads are on only after 2.00 AM. I'm a big fan of the awful ads they have in Houston, and the local Huntsville ads are absolute classics. The ones here in Dallas just don't compare!

Markitect

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
"Who?"
SlaveToTheGrind said:
An attorney here has used the SAME dialogue!
Those law firm commercials are used in many places.

Ever notice how the camera is always pointed at Insurance Guy #1 when Insurance Guy #2 says the name of the law firm?

That's so they can insert a voice-over for the name of any law firm into the dialogue. If you pay real close attention, Insurance Guy #2's voice will probably even sound different than the voice-over that says the firm's name.

There's a couple different versions, in different settings, but with the same actors.

So I guess they're sort of "cookie-cutter" commericals--just change the name and they can be used anywhere for any law firm.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Scott Donahoo, for Foreign Motors Kia (he has a few other dealerships around here, too). He takes the "Dealer with a Heart" from El Guapo's post to a whole new level, with deliberately corny jokes and song-and-dance skits. The judge skit with the woman in the witness stand who acted more turned on with each successive "great deal" was almost scary.

McDonalds
WalMart
Virtually all commercials aimed at children or teenagers: stereotyped overkill attempts to play to the desire to be "cool" or exciting that turn out corny.
Dumb Guy/Dumb Parent commercials.

Geiko. They go on and on about how much money you'll save, but when my sister was shopping for insurance, they would only quote here a six-month rate, not even a full year! She also talked to the Better Business Bureau and found out that, at least in Maryland, Geiko triggers the most complaints of any auto insurance company (worse even than Katz, the insurer of last resort here) and has the highest customer turnover rate.

And Decaturhawk is right about the crap so many kids' shows are. Those were already going downhill when I was leaving elementary school, and the junk my kids at the day camp I used to work at watched was downright mindless.

Sludge like this is why I don't watch much TV anymore.

kms

Cyburbian
I dislike the commericals that show people (kids and young adults) who have food on their faces from eating the advertised prodeuct with gluttony and zest. :-#

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Political campaign ads annoy me and I hate Verizon's "Can You Hear Me Now?" commercials. I can hear you, so shut the hell up!!! :-{

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
In agreement with Geog Planner and Rumpy Tunanator, I loathe Billy Fuccillo. In fact, most local car dealership commercials are horrific--some people should never be on television, let alone be allowed to have their face and torso blown up to massive proportions and put on the sides of CDTA buses. I also find the influx of radio commercials for jewelry stores around this time of year to be quite annoying--Belden/Shaw's use the same tag line (Belden is up here, Shaw's used to be in DC), "Every kiss begins with Kay", and Glenn Peter (another local, I think) has terrible scenarios with dramatic music and the stresses of life seem to melt away when the wife sees the silver and gold box from the hubby. Jesus.

The Olive Garden commercials really kill me, though. I mean, if I were Italian and my Uncle Francesco was visiting from "the old country" of course I'd bring him to the Olive Garden for the never-ending pasta bowl! The commercials alone have kept me from ever setting foot in one of their restaurants. Chilis commercials are pretty bad too.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The disclaimers after pharmaceutical ads (both TV and print) annoy the crap out of me. Anybody see lawsuits as the possible reason??? Maybe theyll make a pill for that.

SGB

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Yes! What is up with that? Very confusing.....
Confusing? Yes.

Great tap dancing? Definately

I think the dancer was a student/fan of Gregory Hines.