• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

More irritating commercials

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Billy Fucillo MUST DIE.
:-@

There. I've said it.

who would have ever thought that Justin Resnick's Mattress Outlet commercials would be paletable...only when compared to Fucillo that is

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
The Olive Garden commercials really kill me, though. I mean, if I were Italian and my Uncle Francesco was visiting from "the old country" of course I'd bring him to the Olive Garden for the never-ending pasta bowl! The commercials alone have kept me from ever setting foot in one of their restaurants. Chilis commercials are pretty bad too.

I can't figure out why chain restaurants like The Olive Garden, Buco Beppe (?), etc. are always MOBBED with cars. Especially in areas where there are a dozen or more wonderful, authentic, family-owned Italian restaurants!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mud Princess said:
I can't figure out why chain restaurants like The Olive Garden, Buco Beppe (?), etc. are always MOBBED with cars. Especially in areas where there are a dozen or more wonderful, authentic, family-owned Italian restaurants!
[ot]Having grown up in an area where Italian restaurants are everywhere, I know why cars cram the parking lot at Olive Garden.

It's different.

"But Dan, Olive Garden is a formulatic chain ... homogenized, the same everywhere! Why would you pick it over a locally owned restaurant?", you'll say.

I patronize the locals and the chains, for what it's worth, but Olive Garden really is different than a typical Buffalo Italian restaurant. About 70% -- not all of them, but the vast majority -- are what the trade calls "red sauce joints." The menus are very similar, heavy on pasta and southern Italian/Sicilian cuisine, the decor is similar, with wood paneling or stucco, checkered tablecloths, paper placemats with maps of Itlaly (with Sicily scaled twice as large as it actually is), and the candles in the Chianti bottles, and there's really not much to distinguish them except location. The majority of the 30% that aren't traditional red sauce joints are either very expensive, and/or catering to an elderly clientele. They're upmarket red sauce joints, with marble statues of urinating kids and faux marble columns juttng out from the stucco walls.

josies1.jpg

dining_room.jpeg

Typical Buffalo-style Italian restaurants

Olive Garden is different than a typical Italian restaurant in Buffalo, it's reaonably priced, the food is good, the service is decent, it's not loud, and the decor is upscale. I enjoy the red sauce joints, but to be honest Olive Garden often provides a better dining experience.[/ot]

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
GeogPlanner said:
who would have ever thought that Justin Resnick's Mattress Outlet commercials would be paletable...only when compared to Fucillo that is
huge.jpg

huge.jog

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
I thought of more--any Carrot Top commercial and every Herbal Essences ad too. I've had enough of both. I also can't stand Raymour and Flanigan commercials. :-x

Seabishop said:
BUT, a genre of commercial I can't stand is the DUMB GUY commercial where a smart, sophisticated wife outwits her dumb, chubby, flannel wearing husband by using a certain product... can you imagine commercials showing women being dumb at business or police work? :(

Agreed, absolutely. It is a ferocious double standard. I particularly hate the one with the moron who has a flat tire and his smart, sophisticated girlfried sweeps in to take charge while he whines like a man-child. Pathetic.

TV is garbage, and garbage belongs outside.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Did any one else notice, a little while ago, how many SECONDS it took after Johnny Cash died for commercials to have his songs?

otterpop

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:

Why is the Olive Garden's parking lot packed while authenic Italian restaurants's parking lots are not? Maybe it's because the patrons stay away from the real Italian restaurants because they don't want to get hit by any errant bullets. When was the last time you heard of a Mob guy getting whacked in an Olive Garden? JUST KIDDING!

Floridays

Cyburbian
I find the local tv ads to be the most annoying. Especially car dealer ads where the guy is talking (YELLING) and another guy behind him is bashing in the car with a sledgehammer. Nice.
There is an ad for a carpet/tile store where the owner's daughter is featured on the tv ads. To say she is ANNOYING is an understatement. She is not little (pre-teen maybe) and she is not cute and you can't understand a frickin word that comes out of her mouth! At one point they played it over and over and over on the morning news. I finally had to turn that station OFF.

GeogPlanner said:
anything Billy Fucillio

OMG! You beat me to it. I cannot even describe the depths of my hatred for this man and his advertising. He's a HUGE loudmouth a$$hole.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Super Amputee Cat said:
Turning Leaf wines, etc . Shows a bunch of pretentious, high-maintenance yuppies with Alpine-chizeled features, all gathered around (in expensive clothes of course) and acting like total snobs, engaged in whatever superficial conversation that is the be-all end-all of their trite and meaningless lives.

And with all those expensive clothes, cookware, house, cars... they choose an $8 bottle of wine.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Elisabeth said:
I thought of more--any Carrot Top commercial

What was up with the phone companies? Try and find the lamest spokesperson?

AT&T - Carrottop
10-10-220 - Alf
1-800-Collect - Mr. T

Mastiff

Gunfighter
mendelman said:
More specifically, DUMB HUSBAND commercials where it is made blatant that men know nothing about caring for the family inside the house.

I also dislike the Christmas time Lexus ones where there is a new Lexus in the garage or on the driveway. Holy Crap!! Can you say 'con-spic-uous con-sump-tion'. Sheesh, my wife would kill me if I did that, even if we had tons'o'cash.

How about the Durango commercial where the couple are talking to their friends at the BBQ. Each have their own "version" of how it went... but then idiot hubby lights his oven mit on fire. I didn't see the wife slicing herself with those scissors, did I?

nerudite

Cyburbian
My new most hated commercial ever is for a product called 'minigo" yogurt where a cartoon bear goes on a big speech that is all in baby talk gibberish. Unless baby talk is coming out of an actual baby, I just can't stand it. And they play the commercial a lot, unfortunately.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The bouncing head depression pill commercial...

Side effects may include: Nausea, Diarrhea, Rashes, Rectal Itch, Hair Loss, Sexual Side Effects, Flatulence, Uncontrollable Urge to Scream, and Blindness.

Now, what were you depressed about?

biscuit

Cyburbian
The commercial for Adult ADD kills me. It shows a woman starting to freak out and all of the images that go pounding through her mind because of her ADD. One of these is a quick flash of a person in a creepy bunny suit, making ADD look like it's as bad as schizophrenia.